Baz gets Snowbird Vote; not so much Student Vote

Temporary forum for civic elections
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Baz gets Snowbird Vote; not so much Student Vote

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Two things from this:

1.) The university students are smart enough to spot ridiculous vaporware when they see it.

2.) Baz reminds old folks of their grandkids who always promise to visit, but never do.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Baz gets Snowbird Vote; not so much Student Vote

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Partmanpartfish wrote:Two things from this:

1.) The university students are smart enough to spot ridiculous vaporware when they see it.

2.) Baz reminds old folks of their grandkids who always promise to visit, but never do.

3.) Bitterness is a stinky cologne
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

I had a prof in University had had a great line: "If you don't vote NDP in your 20s, you've got no heart. If you don't vote conservative in your 40s you've got no brain."
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Gilchy wrote:I had a prof in University had had a great line: "If you don't vote NDP in your 20s, you've got no heart. If you don't vote conservative in your 40s you've got no brain."

Your prof stole it from Winston Churchill.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

I knew I shouldn't trust her... Or (more likely) she was quoting Churchill, and I forgot that part. Twas an 8am class years and years ago, I may or may not have been paying that much attention.
habh

Post by habh »

Whist you and I did not agree on who should be Mayor, your quote above is pretty darn funny.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Where did you get the demographic breakdown?
I haven't seen that.
You and 71 others Like this post
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Kelowna Courier

Basran's biggest victory was among voters who used mail-in ballots, who are often snowbirds spending the winter down south and out of Kelowna on voting day. Basran won 69 per cent of all mail-in votes, compared to 28 per cent for Shepherd.

Although Basran, at 37, is the city's youngest mayor-elect and often stressed the need during his campaign to create more good-paying jobs for young people, he had a tougher time winning over students and faculty at UBC Okanagan. He won 49 per cent of the votes cast on campus, while Shepherd claimed 41 per cent.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

Basran's biggest victory was among voters who used mail-in ballots, who are often snowbirds spending the winter down south and out of Kelowna on voting day. Basran won 69 per cent of all mail-in votes, compared to 28 per cent for Shepherd.

Although Basran, at 37, is the city's youngest mayor-elect and often stressed the need during his campaign to create more good-paying jobs for young people, he had a tougher time winning over students and faculty at UBC Okanagan. He won 49 per cent of the votes cast on campus, while Shepherd claimed 41 per cent.

And if the snowbirds voted the same percentage as the UBCO campus he still would have won. What's your point? Did Sharon win ANY demographic other than a small selection of smug, self righteous castanet forum members?
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Retrosnap wrote:Did Sharon win ANY demographic other than a small selection of smug, self righteous castanet forum members?

Out of all stations reporting, Sharon only won in ONE marked as "Special".

No idea what it means.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Out of all stations reporting, Sharon only won in ONE marked as "Special".

No idea what it means.

That makes sense now! It was the "special" and "gifted" voters that voted for her.

I didn't realize they separated out voters that way.

Wow, that was politically incorrect of me. Yikes.
You and 71 others Like this post
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Retrosnap wrote:And if the snowbirds voted the same percentage as the UBCO campus he still would have won. What's your point? Did Sharon win ANY demographic other than a small selection of smug, self righteous castanet forum members?

Um, the point is Basran did far worse with the demo he is claiming he is going to help by bringing all of these wonderful hi tech jobs to town for, than he did with the elderly snowbirds.

We may, in your opinion, be smug, but at least we didn't get sucked in by a flashy campaign that can't possibly live up to its promises, like you did.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Guess they just didn't have enough burgers at UBCO, huh? Needed more big money to bribe the students to vote?
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Better than bribing the students WHO to vote for!
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Student #1: So, you gonna go vote?
Student #2: NAh. I've got no idea what the hell is going on. Not gonna bother.
Student #1: But if you vote they give you a burger.
Student #2: Cool. Guess I'll just close my eyes and pick a few to get my grub.....

Now, Not saying all, most, or any students did this but I really disliked the idea of rewarding someone for voting. If they cared enough to follow what's going on and decide who to vote for, great. But if they voted to get a burger, not sure I want that person voting.

Also why I hate the idea of mandatory voting laws. I want voters to be engaged.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”