Mark Thompson Letter to Editor

Temporary forum for civic elections
jamapple
Übergod

Re: Mark Thompson Letter to Editor

Post by jamapple »

Partmanpartfish wrote:I understand what Mr. Thompson is saying; perhaps some of you are not smart enough to see it.

The simple fact is elections in Kelowna are no longer decided by voters, they are decided by a small group of men and their money.

Also, if you read the link to the firm Basran used in both elections, you just simply can't deny that they are right. People don't vote for the best one for the job, they vote for the most popular. They even come right out and say, " it's a popularity contest". With that said, I have said before, all future elections will have each candidate represented by a consulting firm, and may the best firm win. 10 years ago if you would have said to me that a civic election in a city the size of Kelowna would be decided by a firm doing consulting work for a candidate, I would have had to eat my underwear, as I surely would have placed that bet!
I would also would have liked to see Mr. Thompson run for a seat on council first. I know through research all the commitees, etc he's been on here in Kelowna, but he wasn't easily recognized. He should have hired his own firm, as Colin did, and see what the results would have been.
This will be the new way to campaign, though. If you don't, you're just about guaranteeing a 2nd-last place finish.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Partmanpartfish wrote:I understand what Mr. Thompson is saying; perhaps some of you are not smart enough to see it.

The simple fact is elections in Kelowna are no longer decided by voters, they are decided by a small group of men and their money.

So, I've asked two others and now will ask you, since it is the topic of the thread.
Do you feel that the attitude and behaviour portrayed in the letter exemplifies that which a mayor of our community should portray?

None of the others have answered this simple question, instead preferring to continue the rhetoric of the campaign.

Come on George, fish man, and ultraviolet.....it's a really easy question.
You and 71 others Like this post
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

One again, the letter made good points.
A mayor has to be analytical and call a 'spade..a spade'.
Thompson is.

I do not see that in Colin Basran.
He will be scrambling to please his supporters.

Seems though you cannot get elected in Kelowna anymore,
unless you have big bucks behind you.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

I never really followed Mr. Thompson, but I think he was upset with the way the election was bought, and he's stating his true and honest feelings.

I'm rarely offended when people state their true and honest feelings.

What does offend me and perhaps would have offended you also had we been flies on the wall . . . are the types of things that were perhaps maybe said in private as another candidate, his bagmen and consultants were meeting to discuss ways to rope in the folks who ended up supporting this unqualified candidate. I guarantee that stuff would have knocked your socks off. When they were scheming to attract flies to, well, the candidate.

As I have said, to me this election was about a qualified and honest candidate, versus an unqualified and dishonest candidate who was willing to say whatever it took. He fooled you all.

So no, Mr. Thompson's words don't really bother me at all.
Last edited by Partmanpartfish on Nov 17th, 2014, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Fair enough. Question asked and answered.

Not much more to say after reading that. It kind of says it all about where you both stand and where your lines are drawn.
Loxley

Post by Loxley »

I think the problem with Mr. Thompson is that he didn't work hard enough to get his name out there. I'm a small businessmen and I have personally met most of the mayoral candidates and council members over the years. I've been here 30 years and you get to know most of these people over time.
The successful ones make a point of getting to know as many people as possible. I know Ron Cannan knocked on just about every business door in Kelowna years before he won the MP seat. I met him when he knocked on my door and he was good at remembering names.
Mr. Thompson has been here for 10 years and nobody knows him, maybe the 2000 people who voted for him, but most everybody had never heard of him. This is a small town, and you only need to get 16,000 votes. That's a lot of door knocking and networking but that's what you have to do.
I think Colin has been preparing and working at this for a long time and did a way better job of putting a campaign team together. His social media has been running for months and with his tech people he did a great job of reaching people. Sharon started late and got off on the wrong foot with her website and really wasn't prepared on the social media side.
That's why we have campaigns. If you can run a successful campaign you are likely to win. And you can't phone it in and expect to win.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

jamapple wrote:Also, if you read the link to the firm Basran used in both elections, you just simply can't deny that they are right. People don't vote for the best one for the job, they vote for the most popular. They even come right out and say, " it's a popularity contest". With that said, I have said before, all future elections will have each candidate represented by a consulting firm, and may the best firm win. 10 years ago if you would have said to me that a civic election in a city the size of Kelowna would be decided by a firm doing consulting work for a candidate, I would have had to eat my underwear, as I surely would have placed that bet!
I would also would have liked to see Mr. Thompson run for a seat on council first. I know through research all the commitees, etc he's been on here in Kelowna, but he wasn't easily recognized. He should have hired his own firm, as Colin did, and see what the results would have been.
This will be the new way to campaign, though. If you don't, you're just about guaranteeing a 2nd-last place finish.

Thing is, it's not cheap hiring firms like this. Thompson didn't have a big bag of cash behind him. He campaigned the old fashioned way. The times they are a-changing.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Anonymous123 wrote:
Thing is, it's not cheap hiring firms like this. Thompson didn't have a big bag of cash behind him. He campaigned the old fashioned way. The times they are a-changing.

If the old fashioned way was sitting back and taking the lazy approach then yes, he did it the old fashioned way.

The reality is the old fashioned way was to get out there and work the people constantly in person and on the phones with supporters helping in any and every way possible. No days off during the campaign and touching as many voters as possible. (And yes, I have volunteered in campaigns of all types for decades so I am aware of how things were done, in case that is the next question.)
Both Shepherd and Basran *worked* during this campaign and, frankly, Basran worked harder on that aspect. He wanted it more. Yes he did it the *new* way also but both of the front runners absolutely worked this campaign diligently and tirelessly the old fashioned way. And it showed in the excellent results they both posted.

The same cannot be said for Thompson. The "put your name forward and they will come" approach has never worked. Some things never change.
Panzer130
Board Meister

Post by Panzer130 »

Anonymous123 wrote:Thing is, it's not cheap hiring firms like this. Thompson didn't have a big bag of cash behind him. He campaigned the old fashioned way. The times they are a-changing.

Knocking on doors is still free in this country.
Facebook, Twitter, and almost all social media site are free to use.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Need to bookmark this letter for the next go around. If Thompson runs again, this needs to be front and center to show what kind of person he is. And by that, I mean a pathetic, bitter person. Not someone I would want for a mayor at all.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Your characterization of Thompson is simply not correct.
I know him well but did not vote for him.

What evidence is there that Basran did "door knocking"?
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

George+ wrote:Your characterization of Thompson is simply not correct.

The letter says otherwise.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

George+ wrote:I know him well but did not vote for him.

For once I believe you. When you live in Joe Rich, you're not eligible to vote for the mayor of Kelowna.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Sorry buddy but you are wrong....again.

I did vote for Sharon a Shepherd and am glad I did.

Plus a slew of city councillors...note that is not slough!

And city school trustees.

You need to do some detective work to find me or coffee?
Gama
Fledgling

Post by Gama »

I would never vote for Mark Thompson and to be honest I told everyone I knew why, my husband and him where on the same residents association Mark Thompson was very angry one night about not being included in a election form actually he was called but didnt answer the phone (this was one of the other elections I dont know if it was the civic, provincial or federal he has run for everything) he called our home and before I could say I wasnt a director on this association he helled at me for 10 min or longer telling me how horrible this association was and how bad the people where that where directors (he is now president of this association) and if he didnt like you after he became president he found away to get rid of you. I could just see what the coucil meetings would be like. And yes he is a very sore loser.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”