Wow.

Temporary forum for civic elections
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Wow.

Post by JayByrd »

With the possible exception of the Religion and Spirituality forum, I've never felt as unwelcome to post on Castanet as I do here. I say that because of the following:

1) I voted.

2) I voted for several of the people who got in.

3) I have some enthusiasm for the election and voting process.

In reading the threads here, I've been told that, because of the above, I am uneducated, easily led, naïve, and just plain stupid. I've never seen a forum where there were so many instances of someone starting and finishing a conversation, all in one OP.

I didn't think it was possible to be passionately disinterested in something. Wow.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
jamapple
Übergod

Re: Wow.

Post by jamapple »

Don't take any of it to heart. More often than not, people who post on here are heat of the moment types, and/or are uneducated and don't see things as they truly are. I commend you. You voted, which is more than alot of people on here. Captain America stated right on here that he/she didn't even vote, but is opinionated. To call others names for what they believe in is weak minded, not to say that you can have differing opinions. I, too, didn't like all the name calling, and even read on here where someone called someone a *bleep**%# because of his opinion.
I also believe I've typed the word WOW on here plenty of times. Makes for good entertaininment, though!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I am confused as to the topic of this thread. Is it a lack of support from other posters for your position? Did you ever consider that perhaps people do not agree with your view and your position/view....on these threads anyway.....and that would put you in the minority?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I think more it is the vocal minority who is attempting to make themselves appear larger by posting more often and being more abrasive and insulting to those whose opinions differ from their own.

It all boils down to How dare we have opinions which differ from their own? How dare we vote for people they do not choose? And because we think and believe differently we are called uneducated or (their favourite) "sheeple".

Personally I am glad they are a minority, vocal though they are. Can you imagine anything (city, province, country, world) being run by their ilk? *shudders*
I haven't failed until I quit.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

Lady tehMa wrote:Personally I am glad they are a minority, vocal though they are. Can you imagine anything (city, province, country, world) being run by their ilk? *shudders*

i guess it depends on who is considered the "vocal minority".

take for example the kelowna election and the summerland election.

in kelowna, the minority, according to some, are those in support of shepherd and against the for greed deep pocket money men.

in summerland, the minority, according to some, are those in support of the stop the swap group.

in kelowna, the minority apparently lost since basran won the mayor's chair and the for greed group successfully got 8 of the 9 they backed elected. the "minority" view the basran win and the for greed group bad for kelowna. the "majority" are happy and celebrating while ignoring basran lack of intelligence and experience doing anything of significance...other than getting elected by using astute marketing.

in summerland, the "minority" won since the stop the swap group won the mayor's chair and most of the council seats. the "majority" apparently wanted anyone but the stop the swap group and are now crying and whining and spewing the doom and gloom of summerland moving forward.

it would appear the "minority" were in fact those who wanted to elect anyone but the stop the swap group in summerland while the "majority" wanted proper and smart growth.

it is all a matter of perspective.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Logitack wrote:
in kelowna, the minority, according to some, are those in support of shepherd and against the for greed deep pocket money men.

in kelowna, the minority apparently lost since basran won the mayor's chair and the for greed group successfully got 8 of the 9 they backed elected. the "minority" view the basran win and the for greed group bad for kelowna. the "majority" are happy and celebrating while ignoring basran lack of intelligence and experience doing anything of significance...other than getting elected by using astute marketing.

You just don't get how this makes you appear, do you? I know you obviously don't care, but really.....are you like this in person?
You and 71 others Like this post
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Believe logi is is just expressing reality.
Time will tell.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Logitack wrote:i guess it depends on who is considered the "vocal minority".

Vocal:
expressing opinions or feelings freely or loudly.
"he was vocal in condemning the action"
synonyms: vociferous, outspoken, forthright, plain-spoken, expressive, blunt, frank, candid, open; More

Minority:
the smaller number or part, especially a number that is less than half the whole number.

So to reiterate: the vocal minority are the loud complainers whose candidates did NOT get enough votes to win.

Does that clear that up for you?

Of the people who cared to vote, more people voted for those who got in, than for those that the vocal minority favoured. Therefore, because the vocal minority can not see that other people can have views who differ from their own; they cry foul, conspiracy, undecuated, sheeple and whatever else name calling helps them feel better about the fact that their own votes were negated.

*shrugs*

Not every candidate I chose got in, but I'm not making a fuss about it. It is what it is.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Or they simply cry not enough people voted to have confidence in the winner.
17% of eligible voters!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

George+ wrote:Or they simply cry not enough people voted to have confidence in the winner.
17% of eligible voters!

*sighs*

Let's try this again.

"of the people who cared" that means that the people who did not care, removed themselves from the equation. That means they did not care who got in. That means they had no opinion. Than means that (for example) while they did not care to vote Basran, they ALSO did not care to vote Shepherd, or anyone else for that matter!

So, now we are left with the remainder, who actually cared enough to vote.

Of that remainder, the majority was voted in. It does not matter how many people chose not to vote, because they chose NOT to vote.

Our current council was chosen by majority, of the people who cared enough to vote.

This may be a difficult concept for you, but the people who chose not to vote at all, also chose not to vote for your candidates. Do you understand?
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

I have encountered quite a few people who said the line up was too long.
Or they quit when the oath was demanded of them

This is the 21stC. Clark can get elected premier by electronic voting by a select few
But we can't get ALL involved in major elections.

Vote or be fined. 100 bucks per election.
Vote at home.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

Lady tehMa wrote:
*sighs*

Let's try this again.

"of the people who cared" that means that the people who did not care, removed themselves from the equation. That means they did not care who got in. That means they had no opinion. Than means that (for example) while they did not care to vote Basran, they ALSO did not care to vote Shepherd, or anyone else for that matter!

So, now we are left with the remainder, who actually cared enough to vote.

Of that remainder, the majority was voted in. It does not matter how many people chose not to vote, because they chose NOT to vote.

Our current council was chosen by majority, of the people who cared enough to vote.

This may be a difficult concept for you, but the people who chose not to vote at all, also chose not to vote for your candidates. Do you understand?

Although what you say is correct to a degree you disregard the fact that ALL eligible voters are represented. They did not vote but that does not mean they are not to be included in any other considerations going forward. Basran et al don't just represent those who voted.

Furthermore, many people are disenfranchised by the outlandish and obvious subversion of the process that's allowed and even encouraged by current voting laws. Why vote when a half dozen business men who do not represent my best interest or values can so easily affect the outcome of an entire election?

So perhaps you'd do well to stop discounting the rights of the taxpayers who did not show up at the polls and instead acknowledge that they still have as much at stake as everyone else.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Very well expressed.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

nextimeround wrote:Why vote when a half dozen business men who do not represent my best interest or values can so easily affect the outcome of an entire election?

Because the alternative (Taxpayers First) was worse.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 18th, 2014, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”