Re: West Kelowna results

Post by Randall T »

spitcoffeeyy8.gif
I birn quil I se
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

j watson wrote:Wow! Doug's wearing a tie on Castanet's home page. That's gotta be a first. One must however assume he still has his socks and sandals on.

Footwear style is hardly an election issue. Maybe he wears socks and sandals for a reason besides he likes them and finds them comfortable. I have a family member that suffers from foot pain and often cannot comfortably wear regular shoes. There are others who have difficulty finding shoes that fit properly due to the uniqueness of their feet.

I've never met the man, but how well does he represent the citizens of West Kelowna? Apparently there were many voters in your community who like the job he has been doing as mayor.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
mekathy
Übergod

Post by mekathy »

Once again we had a low turn out in West Kelowna. With Doug getting 3600 votes and an inexperienced new comer getting 2750 votes . With experience only winning out by 850 votes to fresh ideas, no experience, iit is an indicator that West Kelowna is moving in that direction. Congratulations to Doug, and hoping he takes notice.
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

There is no way that I would put Rusty and Rosalind in the same category. If you looked at my post...you would see that they were in different paragraphs. They are not in the same class in my opinion.

I too respected Rusty long ago. However, personal experience and the Ice castle scam soured me long ago with regards to this person.

The newspapers were full of the willingness of the voters to embrace change and the voting in of new, vibrant young leaders in this election. How typical that West Kelowna should be the exception and cling to "the devil they know "rather than brave change. Sad, but I also hope that Doug gets the message loud and clear.
The-Real-Deal

Post by The-Real-Deal »

TRIX wrote:The Tin Man and Dorothy, REALLY. How can they be tied together? Rusty's agenda looks to me to be completely polar opposite to Nies's. I have known Rusty for the better part of 15 years and yes he does carry baggage but who doesn't in one way or another. The fact is that Rusty is a tireless worker and has proven to be fully committed to his community. Rusty on occasion has had troubles staying out of his own way but has never set out to hurt or displace anyone. Rusty's base is in his community and his work ethic in this election has shone thru and born fruit. Rusty's commitment to detail and his communal commitment will do nothing but enhance this council and give a voice back to this great community. I am very proud of what a man like Rusty has done with the hand that he has been dealt. I only hope that he does not get "poisoned" by politics as so many do. We should be supportive and encouraging to our new council and not make inferences to Rusty's chair as the Tin Man's metal shell; you should be ashamed. I wish them all good luck and lets all move fwd positively to make our community the best it can be.
" Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones"

Rusty is a good businessman and hard-working, indeed, but I cannot support Rusty Ensign, anymore, either as a politician, or as a man, unless he changes fundamentally as a human being and publicly disavows all violence against women.

When men stop hitting and assaulting women, West Kelowna becomes a much safer place to live !

Let's expect ALL men to treat women with respect, no less our elected officials.
nikonfan
Fledgling

Post by nikonfan »

7 out of 10 people could not be bothered to get their lazy butts to vote. I find this appalling especially with in a month of having one of our heroes gunned down because he was a symbol of the unbelievable freedoms we have in this great country to democratically vote for our leadership.
There are people in the world who would love nothing more but to have the opportunity to vote for their form of leadership.
Just to put you 70% on notice, if you don't have the duty or respect to take the time to vote then you certainly don't have the right to *bleep* about the results.
The-Real-Deal

Post by The-Real-Deal »

nikonfan wrote:7 out of 10 people could not be bothered to get their lazy butts to vote. I find this appalling especially with in a month of having one of our heroes gunned down because he was a symbol of the unbelievable freedoms we have in this great country to democratically vote for our leadership.
There are people in the world who would love nothing more but to have the opportunity to vote for their form of leadership.
Just to put you 70% on notice, if you don't have the duty or respect to take the time to vote then you certainly don't have the right to *bleep* about the results.

Great post !

Historically, the majority never votes in WK !

26 percent, last time.

Completely unacceptable !

(Kelowna is no better !)
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Piecemaker wrote:
Footwear style is hardly an election issue. Maybe he wears socks and sandals for a reason besides he likes them and finds them comfortable. I have a family member that suffers from foot pain and often cannot comfortably wear regular shoes. There are others who have difficulty finding shoes that fit properly due to the uniqueness of their feet.

I've never met the man, but how well does he represent the citizens of West Kelowna? Apparently there were many voters in your community who like the job he has been doing as mayor.

Around 4000, so what? You missed my point. The Mayor should wear a suit. He holds public office and should dress accordingly. imho
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Not voting is another democratic right. And criticizing elected officials is a democratic and legal right of people who do not vote. I've only missed voting, locally, once in my 17 years here; people have lots of reasons for not voting. The smarmy way politics is conducted in our country, province and district (city) may motivate a lot of people to boycott voting, something that I seriously considered this time around. I'm sick of the superficialities being expressed here and elsewhere about voter turnout. It is also a democratic right to let your neighbour decide for you but he/she voting and you not voting. Not smart maybe. One thing that we'd get from heavier turnouts is more "liberal" results which may anger the monies establishment. Some of the more-fascist U.S. states actively discourage voting through means tests, literacy tests, long line-ups, etc., to bias the outcome in favour of the privileged.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

occasional thoughts wrote:Not voting is another democratic right. And criticizing elected officials is a democratic and legal right of people who do not vote. I've only missed voting, locally, once in my 17 years here; people have lots of reasons for not voting. The smarmy way politics is conducted in our country, province and district (city) may motivate a lot of people to boycott voting, something that I seriously considered this time around. I'm sick of the superficialities being expressed here and elsewhere about voter turnout. It is also a democratic right to let your neighbour decide for you but he/she voting and you not voting. Not smart maybe. One thing that we'd get from heavier turnouts is more "liberal" results which may anger the monies establishment. Some of the more-fascist U.S. states actively discourage voting through means tests, literacy tests, long line-ups, etc., to bias the outcome in favour of the privileged.

Well said.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

mystica wrote:There is no way that I would put Rusty and Rosalind in the same category. If you looked at my post...you would see that they were in different paragraphs. They are not in the same class in my opinion.

I too respected Rusty long ago. However, personal experience and the Ice castle scam soured me long ago with regards to this person.

The newspapers were full of the willingness of the voters to embrace change and the voting in of new, vibrant young leaders in this election. How typical that West Kelowna should be the exception and cling to "the devil they know "rather than brave change. Sad, but I also hope that Doug gets the message loud and clear.

I'm not sure how Rusty managed to get himself elected. As bad as this sounds I think there's something not right with him. My wife is creeped out by him and none of this has to do with his physical condition, I assure you of that. We have a very good friend who is in a chair so we're comfortable with that aspect.

I've met Rusty on a few occasions in a professional sense and found him to be arrogant to the point of almost being disrespectful. Not very good qualities for a councilor. His political stance and answers to many questions did not seem to be on par with many of the other candidates who did not get elected.

He's the one single candidate I did not want to see on council yet he got in with a pretty good number of votes. Maybe it's just me but I'm usually a pretty good judge of character. So it blows my mind that with all that plus his track record of making bad decisions personally and in business that he still got elected. Wonders never cease to amaze me.

I will say that I don't care if he's in a chair or can fly like a bat, I expect him to step up and do the job he was elected to do. No holds barred.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Rusty ran for the Conservative federal nomination in Okanagan Coquihalla that Dan Albas won, so that probably shows his federal political affiliation. The Conservatives are big in the background in West Kelowna, supporting and powering people like Zanon and DeJong and probably others into office, so when Rusty started running those ads showing former Conservative MP Stockwell Day's endorsation, I knew something was up. I didn't think the behind-the-scenes backing would be sufficient to power Rusty onto council but, as usual, I was wrong. Hopefully Rusty will prove us naysayers wrong in office.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Maybe there's a movement behind the scenes to push for another ice castle.
I birn quil I se
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

well next timeround, I have to say that your lady wife sounds like a woman with a good instinct !
That is exactly the same feeling that a number of people I know also have about Rusty.
Your impression of him also seems spot on. I am impressed by your erudite observations.

The idea that he sits on council is only balanced by the fact that he does not have the ability to make "solo" decisions.
That there are six others on council is a saving grace.

I do hope that too much council time is not wasted in reining in this erratic maverick.
TRIX
Fledgling

Post by TRIX »

Boy, certainly a lot of persecution of Rusty thru suspicion and innuendo. It must be nice to be Judge, Jury and Executioner without fact or circumstance. Maybe we should just change this thread's title to "Let's bash Rusty to death." Maybe you believers of getting your pound of flesh will be satisfied with that. I will be satisfied with watching and allowing Rusty to find a way to fit into our new counsel and taking his place in our great community with or without the hypocrites that condemn him unconditionally. If he can not find a way to fit he will not be voted for next time.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”