Why do religions have to convert people?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Why do religions have to convert people?

Post by Glacier »

Sarcasm, Joe. Sarcasm.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
alexoliversen
Fledgling

Post by alexoliversen »

Well I started this topic because I wanted to understand why people try so hard to convert other people to their belief. If there is a God that is omniscient or omnipotent then why doesn't he or she just get us to join their religion outright? Isn't everything just predetermined that way? Aren't we all just a manifestation of God, or the universe, Or whatever you want to call it depending on how you define it. I don't understand why some people are so evangelical - when people are ready, they are ready. You not going to understand something till you have the proper experiences and the time is right.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

Religion is a man-made idea. It's a long-developed construct of the ego, often driven by the selfish and misguided desires of the ego. The ego is bent on validating itself, so trying to convert others to a religion is essentially the ego asserting its authority on its version of truth.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

Glacier wrote:There are two Qurans found within the book. The first one was written in Mecca...but the second part was written in Medina...

That is interesting. Having read the first few chapters, it seems like the first few verses in each chapter are pure. Then the later verses seem to shift to interpretations (ego) and by the last verses in the chapter, they are complexly derived opinions/interpretation. Like each interpretation builds on the last.
What parts were written in Mecca, and which in Medina?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

annexi wrote:That is interesting. Having read the first few chapters, it seems like the first few verses in each chapter are pure. Then the later verses seem to shift to interpretations (ego) and by the last verses in the chapter, they are complexly derived opinions/interpretation. Like each interpretation builds on the last.
What parts were written in Mecca, and which in Medina?

The older Quran was written in Mecca while the later Quran was written in Medina. This lead some scholars, both Muslim and non-Muslim, to refer to the Quran by its two parts, the Mecca Quran and the Medina Quran. Both were transcribed as told by Muhammad to a scribe, as Muhammad was illiterate as were a majority in his day. A majority of the Surah (chapters) in the Quran were written in Mecca with the rest written in Medina. The problem is that the Surah in the Quran are not placed in chronological order, but are ordered mostly from the longest Surah to the shortest as shown here.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
alexoliversen
Fledgling

Post by alexoliversen »

Funny thing is that I finally understand what being reborn is about, it's like we were having this conversation before. You know the one's you have with your father then you have with your children, or friends, or spouse, where you hear yourself saying what someone else said. I finally know what conversion is about... ;)
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

did you see this in the news?

Oliver Moody
Published at 12:01AM, November 29 2014

Coronations of British monarchs should include readings taken from the Koran, a former bishop of Oxford has said.

Lord Harries of Pentregarth said that religious make-up of the country had changed so much that Islamic scripture should be included for “hospitality”.

“The relationship of the Church of England to the state has changed, is changing, and could change further,” he said in the House of Lords.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/r ... 282147.ece

http://www.ummah.com/forum/index.php
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

Didn't see that ... did you see :

Pope prays in mosque

His head bowed and hands clasped in front of him, Pope Francis stood Saturday for two minutes of silent prayer facing east inside one of Istanbul's most important mosques, as he shifted gears toward more religious affairs on the second leg of his three-day visit to mainly Muslim Turkey.

http://www.castanet.net/news/World/1278 ... -in-mosque

Looks like the one world religion is well on its way.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

i get that a large segment of the earth's population now idolize a jesuit as a religious figure, but my favourite jesuit is jordan spieth, pro golfer, he just won the australian open today :)
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

Is Pope Francis working to combine all religions into one?

"And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration" ( Revelation 17:6).

It seems that Pope Francis is a man on a mission to fulfill Bible prophecy, and he is getting more done than any other pope in the last 100 years. Pope Francis is here to make some serious and drastic changes not only in the Catholic Vatican system, in the professing Christianity as well. It appears he is in the process of trying to create a one world religion.

The Bible, in Revelation 17 and 18, talks about a harlot church that rules the spiritual world. She is wealthy beyond description, and all the kings and mighty men of the earth want to be in a spiritual bed with her. The Bible says that she is a city that "sitteth on seven hills," and is "drunk with the blood of the saints." This can only be one system, one place, one church – the Roman Catholic Church whose Vatican headquarters sits on the famed Seven Hills in Rome.

Pope Francis's call for unity goes beyond the Christian community. During his recent visit to the Middle East, Francis invited Israeli Jewish and Muslim leaders to join him in prayer for peace for their region at the Vatican this Sunday. Israel's Chief of State Shimon Peres and Palestinian President Abu Mazen will be joined by a delegation of rabbis, Islamic imams, and Israeli Druze community leaders, according to news reports.

In June, 2014 not only did Pope Francis hold ecumenical services in the Vatican where he prayed to the moon god of Islam, Allah, he also held high level meetings with megachurch pastor, Joel Osteen and U.S. Senator Mike Lee who was there to represent the Mormon church. The actors have taken the stage, with more still arriving, in the unfolding of what will one day soon be the wildest bible prophecy ever told – the Great Tribulation.

It's no surprise that the Joel Osteen was enthralled with the fact that Pope Francis is so inclusive:

"I like the fact that this pope is trying to make the church larger, not smaller. He's not pushing people out but making the church more inclusive. That resonated with me," Osteen told the Houston Chronicle.

The Christian Post reports that according to Westmont College, Francis had invited more than a dozen "North American Protestant leaders" to discuss the question: "Can we find common ground in order to advance the life and ministry of Jesus so more people can experience the joy of Christian faith?"

The ecumenical meeting was a part of Pope Francis' on-going efforts to bring unity among Christians, previously stating in public remarks, "Divisions among us, but also divisions among the communities: evangelical Christians, orthodox Christians, Catholic Christians, but why divided? We must try to bring about unity."

But what the Pope does not understand is that there cannot be unity between darkness and light. He has publically rejected the Word of God in its entirety. He leads the Roman Catholic Church, a church that is steeped in idol worship and does not accept the fact the we are saved by faith though grace. The Roman Catholic Church is a man-made religion that based on a merit system rather than the total and complete finished work of Christ on the cross.

Pope Francis's call for unity goes beyond the "Christian" community. During his recent visit to the Middle East, Pope Francis invited Israeli Jewish and Muslim leaders to join him in prayer for peace for their region at the Vatican this Sunday. Israel's Chief of State Shimon Peres and Palestinian President Abu Mazen will be joined by a delegation of rabbis, Islamic imams, and Israeli Druze community leaders, according to news reports.

https://www.raptureready.com/faq/faq809.html
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:i get that a large segment of the earth's population now idolize a jesuit as a religious figure, but my favourite jesuit is jordan spieth, pro golfer, he just won the australian open today :)

Nice to see your allegiance :)
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

BelieveNothing wrote:Is Pope Francis working to combine all religions into one?

"And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration" ( Revelation 17:6).

It seems that Pope Francis is a man on a mission to fulfill Bible prophecy, and he is getting more done than any other pope in the last 100 years. Pope Francis is here to make some serious and drastic changes not only in the Catholic Vatican system, in the professing Christianity as well. It appears he is in the process of trying to create a one world religion.

The Bible, in Revelation 17 and 18, talks about a harlot church that rules the spiritual world. She is wealthy beyond description, and all the kings and mighty men of the earth want to be in a spiritual bed with her. The Bible says that she is a city that "sitteth on seven hills," and is "drunk with the blood of the saints." This can only be one system, one place, one church – the Roman Catholic Church whose Vatican headquarters sits on the famed Seven Hills in Rome.

Pope Francis's call for unity goes beyond the Christian community. During his recent visit to the Middle East, Francis invited Israeli Jewish and Muslim leaders to join him in prayer for peace for their region at the Vatican this Sunday. Israel's Chief of State Shimon Peres and Palestinian President Abu Mazen will be joined by a delegation of rabbis, Islamic imams, and Israeli Druze community leaders, according to news reports.

In June, 2014 not only did Pope Francis hold ecumenical services in the Vatican where he prayed to the moon god of Islam, Allah, he also held high level meetings with megachurch pastor, Joel Osteen and U.S. Senator Mike Lee who was there to represent the Mormon church. The actors have taken the stage, with more still arriving, in the unfolding of what will one day soon be the wildest bible prophecy ever told – the Great Tribulation.

It's no surprise that the Joel Osteen was enthralled with the fact that Pope Francis is so inclusive:

"I like the fact that this pope is trying to make the church larger, not smaller. He's not pushing people out but making the church more inclusive. That resonated with me," Osteen told the Houston Chronicle.

The Christian Post reports that according to Westmont College, Francis had invited more than a dozen "North American Protestant leaders" to discuss the question: "Can we find common ground in order to advance the life and ministry of Jesus so more people can experience the joy of Christian faith?"

The ecumenical meeting was a part of Pope Francis' on-going efforts to bring unity among Christians, previously stating in public remarks, "Divisions among us, but also divisions among the communities: evangelical Christians, orthodox Christians, Catholic Christians, but why divided? We must try to bring about unity."

But what the Pope does not understand is that there cannot be unity between darkness and light....

Thanks for a most interesting post on the changing tides of religion. I agree Pope Francis is a catalyst for a great change that is afoot (great defined as massive).

Why do you say there cannot be unity between darkness and light? What do you mean? I think a balance between the two might precisely be what the world needs. It all depends how you define darkness and light.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Catholic Church = evil empire. Many know, many don't know, that the catholic church was the major reason the nazi party came to power. They also signed an agreement (Vatican & hitler) to not do anything to hinder the nazis. Bottom line: no Vatican = no nazis.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

annexi wrote:Thanks for a most interesting post on the changing tides of religion. I agree Pope Francis is a catalyst for a great change that is afoot (great defined as massive).

Why do you say there cannot be unity between darkness and light? What do you mean? I think a balance between the two might precisely be what the world needs. It all depends how you define darkness and light.

"Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?" 2 Corinthians 6:14

I think the above explains it well.

Peace between all religions sounds like a perfect answer, to create a harmonious world without conflict, but this is not realistic.

A true religion believes in their holy book - to the letter and they conduct themselves accordingly.

True Christians follow the bible - to the word - example: observing the Sabbath day as Saturday, often these types of Christians are seen as extremists.

Where as Roman Catholics follow tradition and pagan rituals that do not always originate from the bible, example: observing the Sabbath as Sunday- which is worship of the sun (pagan practice)

Those we call extreme Islamists are true to their religion - they are not in fact extremists - they are being true to their religion - the Islamists that are acceptable to the masses are the Islamists who do not follow the word of Quran to the letter.

The aim of a world religion is the "appearance" of world peace.

Those who follow their religion and bible whole heartedly will find coming opposition in the dawning of the new world religion.

It will never be "Truthful" to say that all world religions are united under one umbrella and at peace.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

annexi wrote:Thanks for a most interesting post on the changing tides of religion. I agree Pope Francis is a catalyst for a great change that is afoot (great defined as massive).

BelieveNothing wrote: "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?" 2 Corinthians 6:14

I see - you define darkness as evil/wickedness and light as good/righteousness. And unbelievers are wicked, believers righteous. Do I understand correctly?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”