This didn't take long!

XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: This didn't take long!

Post by XT225 »

I wasn't able to watch the council meeting last night, so not sure if they are going to proceed with this downtown revite project at this time or if they possibly might've come to their senses and realized that its not the best expenditure of tax dollars (at this time) and that other projects are more important. I suppose there is always hope. One question that I have...how will they funnel three lanes of traffic into two, going from the 300 to the 200 block? I still say that some kind of trial to block off one lane and see how that goes would be wise before committing to this change in traffic flow. If it becomes a bottleneck down there, people may just avoid the area altogether, which is completely the opposite of what the city wants.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

XT - I recall reading something in the last couple days about this project moving forward. And I agree - this project really should have been looked at a little closer. I'm going to do some snooping on the City website to see what I can find. One thing I did read today though is that the Manager I believe of the Penticton Cemetery wants council to create a better marketing plan for this facility. Not a bad idea, except the City seems to have a problem with other areas when it comes to marketing. Just saying.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:XT - I recall reading something in the last couple days about this project moving forward. And I agree - this project really should have been looked at a little closer. I'm going to do some snooping on the City website to see what I can find. One thing I did read today though is that the Manager I believe of the Penticton Cemetery wants council to create a better marketing plan for this facility. Not a bad idea, except the City seems to have a problem with other areas when it comes to marketing. Just saying.

I find the whole idea of marketing a cemetery rather morbid. What are they going to do? Boxing Day blowouts, two for one spousal specials?
I mean really, in this area and it's demographic, you would think there was plenty of business??
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

I'd be careful Twobits - those are darn good ideas and the city just might try recruiting you as Director of Cemetary Marketing.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:I'd be careful Twobits - those are darn good ideas and the city just might try recruiting you as Director of Cemetary Marketing.

I don't think that the normal burial plots need marketing...they are in short supply. I bet its the above ground Mausoleum rates that is needing of selling. Ever check out the prices? How did we get over here from the main street reno topic? LOL
Here are the rates. You better be sitting down: http://www.penticton.ca/EN/main/communi ... eries.html
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

And here is the marketing story from the Penticton Herald ....
www.pentictonherald.ca/news/article_21c ... 5e61c.html
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:And here is the marketing story from the Penticton Herald ....
http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/arti ... 5e61c.html

Odd..there was no mention of the Mausoleum in that story. THAT is the expensive area of the cemetary which needs marketing in my opinion, if anything does. They also need to acquire more land and soon.
ETA: in all fairness, its likely that the article meant the area that houses both a Columbarium and the Mausoleum.

Columbarium
A structure or arrangement of niches, either inside or outside with solid (granite or marble) or glass fronts, for an inurnment of cremated remains. Niches are designed to accommodate two cremation urns.

Mausoleum
A permanent above ground resting place. A chamber or structure used for entombment. A building designed to permanently house a large number of caskets. Each casket is placed in its own sealed crypt.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Lol, ya we have strayed off topic. Here, I will bring it back OT. If the city want's 20k to put my ashes in a drawer, choke choke, I will donate my ashes free of charge if the city puts them in the asphalt mix for a downtown revite. After five decades and many cocktails and memories on Main St, I would rather be there than in a drawer with a magnificent view of the lake.
Besides that, 20k would buy a hell of a pig roast and party for my friends to mark my passing.

In all seriousness, I am finding it rather repugnant that some bureaucrat has identified the cemetery as a potential revenue generator that merits marketing dollars.
If you are a local resident, getting planted....or put in a drawer.....should be a community cost no different than maintaining a park, beach, SOEC, Convention Center, roadway, or swimming pool.
I am sorry, but if taxpayers are expected to subsidize hockey teams, community pool users etc etc......should passing away be revenue neutral?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Yep, enough said. The city should focus on whats UNDER the ground in all parts of the city., before any beautification on one or two blocks ever starts. This was not the block that is scheduled for the changes, either. Driven around the city lately? Potholes everywhere; we need more than patch jobs; complete streets need repaving in a lot of town. If this ONE 18" pipe broke in an area of the city that is not due for upgrades at this time, how many other areas could also require emergency repairs? Nobody knows. We should not be spending millions on the beautification of two blocks of downtown when there are just as many other areas requiring "necessary" work, now.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Yep, nuff said. Today's front page Herald article about this water main failure quotes the city as saying "we have never had a history of problems with the water mains downtown". Not a verbatim quote, but accurate. Read it.
So if we have had no history of problems downtown, why are we being sold a multi million dollar revite backed by the premise that "the infrastructure" is failing and we might as well do the sidewalk cafe thing at the same time??? Mayor Jak?

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

twobits wrote:Yep, nuff said. Today's front page Herald article about this water main failure quotes the city as saying "we have never had a history of problems with the water mains downtown". Not a verbatim quote, but accurate. Read it.
So if we have had no history of problems downtown, why are we being sold a multi million dollar revite backed by the premise that "the infrastructure" is failing and we might as well do the sidewalk cafe thing at the same time??? Mayor Jak?

And now they do.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

So what you are saying is this one water break, which is blocks away from the proposed improvement area, is now justification, based on history, for millions to be spent? It is against posting rules to try to identify a poster but you are sounding like our Mayor that is about to get a nice retrofit to his storefront. On someone elses dime.

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

South Okanagan