Green Avenue

Green Avenue

Post by 1967 »

are the working on the new bridge?
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: green ave.

Post by southy »

1967 wrote:are the working on the new bridge?

I assume you are talking about the Green Avenue bridge? Do you know something we don't? Did you see equipment working there? More information would be helpful.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Thanks onesh. Sometimes it't hard to keep up :)
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Construction is on the Channel Parkway at Green. Northbound lanes are reduced to 1 and the white dotted lines between the 2 northbound lanes has been replaced with a solid yellow. Something is about to happen and it seems it will take a very long time if they have changed the line painting. As this is a provincial highway I checked Drive BC and found nothing for the reduced lane or anything in future events. Maybe there will be more info after the weekend.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Yup, it would appear that the construction of the bridge to the tax haven has started. With our tax dollars.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

I think it's great I hope the PIB makes the most of it, not just retail sprawl.
On a different forum
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:Yup, it would appear that the construction of the bridge to the tax haven has started. With our tax dollars.

Let us hope that NO businesses from Penticton decide to re-locate to those lands. Would mean a loss of tax dollars to the city and thats NOT what anyone wants. It would be nice to know IF there are actually any agreements with any major future tenants so that it will not be just a "bridge to nowhere".
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

twobits wrote:Yup, it would appear that the construction of the bridge to the tax haven has started. With our tax dollars.

XT225 wrote:Let us hope that NO businesses from Penticton decide to re-locate to those lands. Would mean a loss of tax dollars to the city and thats NOT what anyone wants. It would be nice to know IF there are actually any agreements with any major future tenants so that it will not be just a "bridge to nowhere".

That is exactly what happened in West Kelowna.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Anonymous123 wrote:
That is exactly what happened in West Kelowna.

Yes, I know...and we do not need that repeated down here. NEW additions would be acceptable (however still no addtion to Penticton tax base) but drawing from what is here now and leaving holes in our present stores would not be nice to see. I don't think anyone is going to be transparent about who or what is going in there for a very long time.
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Re: Green Avenue

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

I would sure like to see a Costco go in that new retail spot??
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

XT225 wrote:
Yes, I know...and we do not need that repeated down here. NEW additions would be acceptable (however still no addtion to Penticton tax base) but drawing from what is here now and leaving holes in our present stores would not be nice to see. I don't think anyone is going to be transparent about who or what is going in there for a very long time.

Welcome to a free market. Supply, demand, price and taxation will all factor in to who puts their shop where. Those offering space with foresight and innovation will thrive, those without will stagnate, wither and die.
On a different forum
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Daspoot wrote:
Welcome to a free market. Supply, demand, price and taxation will all factor in to who puts their shop where. Those offering space with foresight and innovation will thrive, those without will stagnate, wither and die.

Gee...sounds like something out of the Mulroney/Free Trade agreement. Look at the mess that has caused this country (outsourcing/huge job losses for Canadians). I won't personally support any business that leaves Penticton city limits to open on Native lands just to save tax dollars.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

That's right, you play part of the "demand" part of that equation, so you too have a say in it all.

Personally I hate to see supply or demand controlled in a way to influence the outcome, see gas prices and how supply is manipulated constantly as an example. Setting up on PIB land may see some tax savings, but carries risks that setting up across the channel on city land doesn't.

Businesses are free to do as they wish, just as you are free to choose where your dollars are spent, or not.

I hope the PIB does a good job of whatever they do, they've been far behind other Bands in the Okanagan for too long, time to build on what they've started and compete in the free-market. This puts pressure on the city to be a more attractive place to be situated. A market without competition is not in the public's favour.
On a different forum
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Daspoot wrote:That's right, you play part of the "demand" part of that equation, so you too have a say in it all.

Personally I hate to see supply or demand controlled in a way to influence the outcome, see gas prices and how supply is manipulated constantly as an example. Setting up on PIB land may see some tax savings, but carries risks that setting up across the channel on city land doesn't.

Businesses are free to do as they wish, just as you are free to choose where your dollars are spent, or not.

I hope the PIB does a good job of whatever they do, they've been far behind other Bands in the Okanagan for too long, time to build on what they've started and compete in the free-market. This puts pressure on the city to be a more attractive place to be situated. A market without competition is not in the public's favour.

You make some good points, Daspoot. I won't argue that. Maybe its time that the city "encouraged" more businesses to stay and more to come in, rather than drive them away, as they are soon going to do with the electrical rate increases. The new businesses that open on PIB lands will likely be under Fortis; their rates may be even higher; not sure. I believe they are on the two-tiered system, which many folks are complaining about. So, in that case, maybe City businesses might SAVE by being on city land (except for taxes). Going to be interesting indeed.

Return to “North Okanagan”