Steven Fry

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Steven Fry

Post by GrooveTunes »

All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Poindexter
Guru

Re: Steven Fry

Post by Poindexter »

Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Exceptional answer !!!'
The most brilliant response to the typical religious...'But...what if you're wrong?' spiel.

My thoughts exactly...why...why would anyone want to worship such a cruel, benevolent, jealous, egotistical being...why ?
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Farmmaa wrote:Exceptional answer !!!'
The most brilliant response to the typical religious...'But...what if you're wrong?' spiel.

My thoughts exactly...why...why would anyone want to worship such a cruel, benevolent, jealous, egotistical being...why ?

Why not! Or why not live in world where everything goes.....
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

I'm sure he'd say that on Judgement day...he'll be shaking in his boots.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Farmmaa wrote:Exceptional answer !!!'

Pretty simple rules to follow.....

Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

averagejoe wrote:
Why not! Or why not live in world where everything goes.....

Why would you want to worship such an evil god?
There are a millions reasons why not to...all to be found in your bible and churches around the world. These books, after all, are preaching the word of god himself.

No god that allows his own representatives to molest children, who promotes bigotry, murder and incest, who allows millions of children to suffer and starve to death , who stands by and witnesses rape, slavery, brutality...is worthy of my worship.

The bible clearly spells out that pretty much anything goes...as long as you bow down to god.

Judgement day ? You honestly think that there is an atheist anywhere in this world that worries for one minute about a judgement day ?

It is a ridiculous assumption to think that atheists live by the rules that anything goes because there's no god watching them. We, in fact, know right from wrong, good from bad...all without having eternal hell and condemnation held over us.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

this guy?
Attachments
1241661_medium.jpg
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

averagejoe wrote: Why not! Or why not live in world where everything goes.....

Farmmaa wrote:Why would you want to worship such an evil god? Evil! Humans know the difference between good and bad. God didn't make human do evil.
There are a millions reasons why not to...all to be found in your bible and churches around the world. These books, after all, are preaching the word of god himself. What evil does the Bible teach?

No god that allows his own representatives to molest children, who promotes bigotry, murder and incest, who allows millions of children to suffer and starve to death , who stands by and witnesses rape, slavery, brutality...is worthy of my worship.
Your right! That's why there is Judgement day. They will pay the price! Those who disobey the laws of the Bible and preach the gospel will pay and they know it.

The bible clearly spells out that pretty much anything goes...as long as you bow down to god. Like what? What Biblical Laws say that?

Judgement day ? You honestly think that there is an atheist anywhere in this world that worries for one minute about a judgement day ? Your right...till the day of the Lord. So don't worry. atheists have time...

It is a ridiculous assumption to think that atheists live by the rules that anything goes because there's no god watching them. We, in fact, know right from wrong, good from bad...all without having eternal hell and condemnation held over us.
I'm sure you have a code of ethics among the all atheists? How do you know between right and wrong? I know of lots of atheists that are the not your model citizens? How do you account for them? They cheat, steal, lie, molest children?

Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

And people of religion don't cheat, steal and lie? I can't believe you believe you even mentioned the molestation of children. Pretty shakey moral ground for a catholic. Besides, Christians only need to ask for forgiveness and all is forgiven. Many religions will treat people of thier own faith with respect but not who they might consider an infidel. Raping an infidel is not considered a sin. It's a ridiculas moral compass that athiests don't require, I don't need a religion to treat others as I'd like to be treated which is the only deadly sin that matters, the rest is chaffe.

And consider how dangerous this notion of a coming judgement day is. The fact is that this is only planet we have, there is nothing outside of this you will be granted access too. If we destroy it we destroy ourselves, end of story.
The absurdity of judgement day masks the sinister goal underlieing it which is to place one group of people over another and to view our planet as merely a stepping stone onto greater things. But I hate to break it to you, the likelyhood of a heaven is no more than the underworld of the hobbit. It's just story who's author is human, to make anything more of it than that only demonstrates just how gullable the human race is.
Last edited by Poindexter on Feb 1st, 2015, 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Poindexter wrote:I don't need a religion to threat others .

You might want to fix that as I don't think it was your intent.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

:) Yah, does change the message slightly, thx.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Poindexter wrote:And people of religion don't cheat, steal and lie?
Did I say that? Farmmaa was trying to paint atheists as the only upstanding people on two feet.....A lot of Christian people probably don't even know of Judgement day?
No one is exempt.....

my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

averagejoe wrote:I'm sure you have a code of ethics among the all atheists? How do you know between right and wrong? I know of lots of atheists that are the not your model citizens? How do you account for them? They cheat, steal, lie, molest children?

You sure as heck don't need a bible to know wrong from right. In fact many of the "wrongs" in the bible are not. Not to mention the punishments prescribed, that are wrong.

I know lots of "Christians" who are not model citizens, how do you account for them ?

"They cheat, steal, lie, molest children" Who is "they" ? Atheists ?

Are you kidding ? The "they" you are talking about, with respect to wrong doings would be "people", all shapes, forms, and beliefs. As for molesting children, atheism is CERTAINLY not the sole domain of the pedophile, that I think we can all agree on. That is really the pot calling the kettle black, not only is one particular church KNOWN for it's representative to be pedophiles, but that church is WELL KNOWN for hiding that fact and protecting it's employees. Talk about sin !

It amazes me in this modern day and age with our advances in science and exploration how such a large number of people in countries with educated masses believe in an "invisible friend" of some form or another. It astounds me.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I'll self edit and remove my response.
To average joe.
Look, I get it, you've invested a lot into your religion and you want it to pay off some day. I also realize that you've had a wonderful relationship with an imaginary father figure for a long time. He's been there for you through think and thin and is a part of you now. Logic and reason doesn't stand a chance against that kind of bond.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”