Steven Fry

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17296
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Steven Fry

Post by averagejoe »

my5cents wrote: It amazes me in this modern day and age with our advances in science and exploration how such a large number of people in countries with educated masses believe in an "invisible friend" of some form or another. It astounds me.


Oh yes, the science crowd.....I should have known? The "invisible friend".....LOL
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17296
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Steven Fry

Post by averagejoe »

Poindexter wrote:I'll self edit and remove my response.
To average joe.
Look, I get it, you've invested a lot into your religion and you want it to pay off some day. I also realize that you've had a wonderful relationship with an imaginary father figure for a long time. He's been there for you through think and thin and is a part of you now. Logic and reason doesn't stand a chance against that kind of bond.


Oh yes...it's all about money crowd. LOL

Science has found many Biblical archeological sites....
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
my5cents
Guru
Posts: 7000
Joined: Nov 14th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Re: Steven Fry

Post by my5cents »

averagejoe wrote:Oh yes, the science crowd.....I should have known? The "invisible friend".....LOL


...and this just in. The world is NOT flat.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
User avatar
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17296
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:50 pm

Re: Steven Fry

Post by averagejoe »

Image
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
Posts: 6265
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Steven Fry

Post by Poindexter »

averagejoe wrote:Oh yes...it's all about money crowd....


Money? Isn't eternal life enough, you want money from god too? It must be exhausting to be the god of such a needy flock.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
Posts: 6265
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Steven Fry

Post by Poindexter »

averagejoe wrote:Image



Without the notion of unicorns there would be no one who didn't believe they existed either. So what's your point?
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sep 24th, 2013, 6:46 am

Re: Steven Fry

Post by Farmmaa »

averagejoe wrote: Farmmaa was trying to paint atheists as the only upstanding people on two feet.....A lot of Christian people probably don't even know of Judgement day?
No one is exempt.....


I said nothing of the sort.
I said simply that one does not need religion or the bible to have morals and be an upstanding citizen.

Every Christian who has actually read the bible or been to church knows about Judgement day.

Everyone is exempt...because it's imaginary.
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19662
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 10:53 am

Re: Steven Fry

Post by JLives »

averagejoe wrote:Image


Substitute god with religion.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
my5cents
Guru
Posts: 7000
Joined: Nov 14th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Re: Steven Fry

Post by my5cents »

averagejoe wrote:"If there was no God there would be no reason to be an atheist"

I guess we could go on and on about that one. "Is being an atheist a belief, or a lack of belief", like pondering infinity, I don't even like to try to get my head around it.

Personally I don't care if someone believes in a greater power or not. I do care if people force their beliefs or the off shoots of their beliefs on me. In our local Canadian/North American society, most of the religious restrictions inflicted on citizens have been eliminated. The "Lord's Day Act" etc, is just a memory. We can now shop on Sundays, go to sporting events, movies etc.

I go one step further. I know all those who are religious with children, and all religious organizations will disagree with me.

I am opposed to "teaching" (brain washing ?) young children religion from a young age. We restrict children from access to all sorts of influences and activities until they are mature enough to deal with them. Religion should be another. Let them decide if religion is for them once they have the tools to make informed decisions.

Churches would be vehemently opposed to this, as I'm sure they'd be worried that it would result in a phenomenal drop in recruitment. Why, if they have such a good argument for believing, wouldn't their facts win adults over ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19662
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 10:53 am

Re: Steven Fry

Post by JLives »

my5cents wrote:I guess we could go on and on about that one. "Is being an atheist a belief, or a lack of belief", like pondering infinity, I don't even like to try to get my head around it.


It actually is pretty straight forward. Atheism is a lack of belief. We are born atheists, religion and faith is taught.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 51641
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Steven Fry

Post by Bsuds »

From Dictionary.com

"Atheist, agnostic, infidel, skeptic refer to persons not inclined toward religious belief or a particular form of religious belief. An atheist is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings. An agnostic is one who believes it impossible to know anything about God or about the creation of the universe and refrains from commitment to any religious doctrine. Infidel means an unbeliever, especially a nonbeliever in Islam or Christianity. A skeptic doubts and is critical of all accepted doctrines and creeds. "

So I would say that I am a Skeptical, Agnostic, Athiest, Infidel!
I might look normal but believe me, I talk to animals and wait for them to reply.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: Steven Fry

Post by steven lloyd »

I am a dyslexic agnostic suffering from insomnia.

I was up all night last night wondering if there could be a Dog.
User avatar
Tacklewasher
Übergod
Posts: 1374
Joined: Jul 9th, 2008, 6:45 am

Re: Steven Fry

Post by Tacklewasher »

Gotta admit.

Makes a hell of a lot more sense to believe in the Greek gods. Fits better with how the world really is.
User avatar
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 842
Joined: Mar 4th, 2008, 6:59 am

Re: Steven Fry

Post by JonyDarko »

I prefer Norse mythology, but yeah Greek is interesting too.

A little late to the thread but Fry nailed it.

Also every time joe says judgement day I can't help but think of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASzBAOzRaBw
User avatar
cliffy1
Übergod
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Re: Steven Fry

Post by cliffy1 »

There are a lot of similarities between Norse, Greek and Hindu gods as they all came from the same source, the migrations of the Aryan race 6000 years ago.
The old testament of the bible was written while the Jews were in Babylon and was borrowed heavily from the Sumerians, Babylonians, Assyrians and Egyptians. The New Testament was written by the Romans and borrowed the Jesus myth from Egypt (Horus), Buddhist and Zoroastrian (Mithra) traditions. The Buddhist influence can be found in Jesus' teachings. All of it was written by men who had political agendas. None of it was inspired by any god whatsoever.
All of the major religions were spawned by so called civilizations because they had become separated from their connection to the Earth, more specifically, the biosphere which is the source of life on this planet. Living in cities will do that to you. People who still had a connection to the Earth were called pagans and looked down on. The invention of gods was a product of that disconnect from the source of our existence.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”