Where exactly does the 30 zone start and end?

XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Where exactly does the 30 zone start and end?

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:XT - I heard today that the city has plans to make the outside lane a delivery lane - only delivery vehicles allowed - others will be ticketed and towed :)

OK it was a scene from one of my nightmares last night.

NOT such a bad idea, Southy. Anything would be better than cutting it down to TWO lanes and increasing congestion; just going to force people to shop elsewhere and to the malls. ETA: unrelated but the condition of the pavement all over town is awful right now; more than just patching jobs are needed. Forget the downtown revite/two laning; fix what is broken in the rest of the city.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:XT - I heard today that the city has plans to make the outside lane a delivery lane - only delivery vehicles allowed - others will be ticketed and towed :)

OK it was a scene from one of my nightmares last night.

I am relieved. So does this mean the inside lane, the fast scooter passing lane, will always be free of stopped traffic?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:
I am relieved. So does this mean the inside lane, the fast scooter passing lane, will always be free of stopped traffic?

With how this city has performed lately, they are likely to make it into an HOV scooter lane, Twobits. Ooops...gotta be careful with any humor..remember what happened the last time that you and I injected some humor into a post. Chop chop chop - the thread was removed.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Ok, so I'm driving down Main Street today - doing 30 - did I say I was doing 30 and as I enjoyed the view of the SUV beside me and the humped up noisy 4x4 beside me (who actually passed me because he is probably not yet aware that the speed limit is 30) I had this thought. Instead of the RCMP issuing warnings or actual speeding tickets to those not obeying the new/old 30 speed limit, what the city could do is partner with DPA (Downtown Penticton Association) to create a 30 day campaign in which the police would issue: TICKETS TO SAVE. How this would work is the DPA would solicit businesses in the effected blocks of downtown to participate in the promotion, that business would have their name printed on the back of an official looking/not official speeding ticket. Each business would offer select savings of 30% at their business. Again, this would be for a 30 day period only to bring awareness to the new speed limit and promote downtown shopping. Imagine the delight on a drivers face, when an RCMP officer pulls them over and advises them they have been speeding and then tells them the new speed limit is 30k and to help you remember here is a ticket to help you SAVE 30% at participating downtown businesses. Of course both the City and DPA could combine advertising dollars and promote this 30 day TICKET to SAVE in ALL media that would mean all radio stations in town, and BOTH newspapers the Penticton Herald the Penticton Western. They may even want to put some advertising dollars on Castanet. The other thing is to gain maximum exposure the City and DPA should also ask that ALL media in the area participate as co-sponsors of this event, thus gaining maximum exposure on radio and in print. People will talk - outside media will pick up on it - other cities will pick up on it - what a great way to turn a perceived negative into a positive so that everyone wins. Just an idea ... like it or leave it.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Yes. Discounts for breaking the law. Lol.
achern

Post by achern »

I don't think it even matters. I just moved here from Kelowna and have noticed that no one in this town usually drives any faster then 30km/h on any road. It is definitely a huge adjustment coming from Kelowna where most people are driving 80km/h (or faster) everywhere they go.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

achern wrote:I don't think it even matters. I just moved here from Kelowna and have noticed that no one in this town usually drives any faster then 30km/h on any road. It is definitely a huge adjustment coming from Kelowna where most people are driving 80km/h (or faster) everywhere they go.

Just wait till you get fingered by the little ol grey haired lady who stops for every green light! (When you honk at her)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

southy wrote:Ok, so I'm driving down Main Street today - doing 30 - did I say I was doing 30 and as I enjoyed the view of the SUV beside me and the humped up noisy 4x4 beside me (who actually passed me because he is probably not yet aware that the speed limit is 30) I had this thought. Instead of the RCMP issuing warnings or actual speeding tickets to those not obeying the new/old 30 speed limit, what the city could do is partner with DPA (Downtown Penticton Association) to create a 30 day campaign in which the police would issue: TICKETS TO SAVE. How this would work is the DPA would solicit businesses in the effected blocks of downtown to participate in the promotion, that business would have their name printed on the back of an official looking/not official speeding ticket. Each business would offer select savings of 30% at their business. Again, this would be for a 30 day period only to bring awareness to the new speed limit and promote downtown shopping. Imagine the delight on a drivers face, when an RCMP officer pulls them over and advises them they have been speeding and then tells them the new speed limit is 30k and to help you remember here is a ticket to help you SAVE 30% at participating downtown businesses. Of course both the City and DPA could combine advertising dollars and promote this 30 day TICKET to SAVE in ALL media that would mean all radio stations in town, and BOTH newspapers the Penticton Herald the Penticton Western. They may even want to put some advertising dollars on Castanet. The other thing is to gain maximum exposure the City and DPA should also ask that ALL media in the area participate as co-sponsors of this event, thus gaining maximum exposure on radio and in print. People will talk - outside media will pick up on it - other cities will pick up on it - what a great way to turn a perceived negative into a positive so that everyone wins. Just an idea ... like it or leave it.

Maybe call the DPA and pitch this idea?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Bunnyhop wrote:
Maybe call the DPA and pitch this idea?

Not a bad marketing idea but the RCMP will never buy into using man hours to promote shopping....anywhere. The only way I can see this idea flying is if the downtown merchants bought their own speed gun (online for about 200 bucks), and had volunteers in vests doing their own speed checks and offering offenders (those that would stop) a reminder of the limit and a 30% off coupon.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

twobits wrote:and offering offenders (those that would stop) a reminder of the limit and a 30% off coupon.

So I'd get a store discount for speeding?

Cool!
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Yeaahhhh, I don't think that was well thought out.

Rewards for speeding......hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Perhaps pull over people actually DOING the speed limit, and then be nice and give them a coupon, but again, waste of police time.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 8th, 2015, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: use the report button if you feel a thread needs to be moved.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 8th, 2015, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: use the report button if you feel a thread needs to be moved.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Tacklewasher wrote:

So I'd get a store discount for speeding?

Cool!

No, people like yourself would get a free city map with a highlighted route to the bridge leaving town.

Return to “North Okanagan”