Homeowners insurance rate hike

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Homeowners Insurance rate hike

Post by Glacier »

rookie314 wrote:Your gonna have to explain that one. The markets are at record highs so I don't understand the return on investment argument.

Markets always go up in the long run, but the rate at which they go up is what is important, as is the volatility.

As for the $1000 bucks/year, that's cheap. No sense in complaining about that. My brother has an average priced home in Kelowna, and pays more than $1500/year.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
wanderingman
Übergod

Re: Homeowners insurance rate hike

Post by wanderingman »

Bsuds wrote:Ours went up approx $7 and that was less than 10%

So what? we are talking house insurance not renters insurance BIG BIG difference.
wanderingman
Übergod

Re: Homeowners Insurance rate hike

Post by wanderingman »

kgcayenne wrote:Last year, my insurer said this was as a result of Alberta's floods. I wonder if that is still having fallout effect on our rates.

My house insurance in December went up 35% Tried several insurers and all up 30-45% ALL said it was because of the billion dollar alberta flooding
What picks my *bleep* is Iam in a Zero flood zone and yet I get nailed for some *bleep* in alberta whom choose to live in a flood zone makes no sense to me at all
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Insurance rates have been going up for a variety of reasons, but one of the big ones is that insurance companies make their money by investing the market, and since the market has not been giving them the returns that it used to, they have to up their rates to compensate.

not sure where you dreamed that up but I seriously doubt the validity of your statement
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Insurance Companies make money by just plain odds.

Okay, they believe what are the odds that more money goes out then comes in. Up until recently (last decade) those odds have been big time in there favour (more money coming to the company, then going out due to claims). As this slowly shifts more the other way, they need to increase there rates to customers.

Insurance Companies hedging the bet nothing bad will happen, in return you (policy holders) pay them just to be on the safe side.
20, 30 or 40+ years later & thousands of dollars of monthly payments, still nothing happens. Who benefits
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

wanderingman wrote:not sure where you dreamed that up but I seriously doubt the validity of your statement

Some story on CBC.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote:Ours went up approx $7 and that was less than 10%
wanderingman wrote:
So what? we are talking house insurance not renters insurance BIG BIG difference.

Sorry, should have added that was per month!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

"
Glacier"]"wanderingman"]not sure where you dreamed that up but I seriously doubt the validity of your statement
Some story on CBC.

post a link

Return to “North Okanagan”