Mudslide closes highway 97A ... not a big deal

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Mudslide closes highway 97A ... not a big deal

Post by Glacier »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#133033
A trip to Calgary could take quite a bit longer today.

Really? Quite a bit longer? So going from Kelowna to Calgary takes 410 minutes (according to Google maps), and now because you have to take hwy 97B, it will take you 413 minutes. Wow, that's the craziest definition of "quite a bit longer" that I've ever heard.

In other news, this post took me quite a bit longer to compose than normal because I typed the wrong letter in one spot, and had to hit the backspace key. I also stepped on the scale this morning. Wow, I have sure gained quite a bit of weight because I have gone from 160 lb to 161 lbs! I don't know how my wife is ever going to love me after such a massive weight gain in such a short period of time! In still other news, Bman's wife asked him if those jeans made her butt look fat, and Bman was shocked to notice that they did make her look maybe there was an extra 1 mm of width, so he said, "ya, quite a bit heavier than normal." Visiting hours at KGH run from now until 5 pm tonight for anyone who wants to see how he is doing.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
my5cents
Guru

Re: Mudslide closes highway 97A... Not a Big Deal

Post by my5cents »

Glacier wrote:
    "http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-133033-3-.htm#133033
    A trip to Calgary could take quite a bit longer today."

Really? Quite a bit longer? So going from Kelowna to Calgary takes 410 minutes (according to Google maps), and now because you have to take hwy 97B, it will take you 413 minutes. Wow, that's the craziest definition of "quite a bit longer" that I've ever heard.

In other news, this post took me quite a bit longer to compose than normal because I typed the wrong letter in one spot, and had to hit the backspace key. I also stepped on the scale this morning. Wow, I have sure gained quite a bit of weight because I have gone from 160 lb to 161 lbs! I don't know how my wife is ever going to love me after such a massive weight gain in such a short period of time! In still other news, Bman's wife asked him if those jeans made her butt look fat, and Bman was shocked to notice that they did make her look maybe there was an extra 1 mm of width, so he said, "ya, quite a bit heavier than normal." Visiting hours at KGH run from now until 5 pm tonight for anyone who wants to see how he is doing.

Good one, well done Glacier.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Mudslide closes highway 97A ... not a big deal

Post by Logitack »

did you fire off an email to jon manchester, he wrote the article. ;) he is the editor in chief or some such title ;)

the buck stops with him...

[email protected]
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I just put a comment along those same lines on the story comments section right before I clicked over to check out the forums. Obviously the writer has never driven to Calgary via Salmon Arm and didn't bother to check. It's so hard to compare distances and drive times, if only there was some online tool that would make it easy, you know, like a search engine map thing...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Actually for me it would be quite a bit faster today because I wouldn't stop and visit my friends in Grinrod.

On Bing maps it claims 7 hrs 17 min one way and 7 hrs 12 min the other. So a whopping 5 min!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Don't really have to go all the way to Calgary.

Harvey & Gordon in Kelowna to Hwy 1 & Hwy 97A Sicamous = 1Hr & 38 minutes with a distance of 126 Km (via Grindrod & Mara)

Harvey & Gordon in Kelowna to Hwy 1 & Hwy 97A Sicamous = 1Hr & 40 minutes with a distance of 134 Km (via Hwy 97B & thru Canoe)

Oh no the waste, how will I do it. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Okay, I finally got around to reading more than the first sentence. I started with the last paragraph...
In 2012, the same stretch of road was closed when Two-Mile Creek spilled its banks and brought tons of debris down, destroying a bridge, washing out the highway and damaging many homes and vehicles. Residents were evacuated, but there is no word on an evacuation related to this latest slide

Really? This article re-posted at 11:00 am could not find any word on an evacuation related to this latest slide? Hmm, let's Google "sicamous 97a mudslide" to see what "I'm feeling lucky" turns up. Well I'll be damned... look what the news was saying in the very first paragraph a full 48 minutes because the Castanet article.

A Mara residence has been evacuated and Highway 97A remains closed following a mudslide that occurred early Monday morning.

I'm scared to even think about reading the rest of the article.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I wouldn't go ahead and say it's not a big deal. I'm sure the resident who got evacuated is probably a little stressed.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Quailize wrote:I wouldn't go ahead and say it's not a big deal. I'm sure the resident who got evacuated is probably a little stressed.

I agree that residents effected by the mudslide itself, should not be made out to be trivial at all.

The comment about it taking longer (From the article: A trip to Calgary could take quite a bit longer today.) to go via Hwy 97B, thats the part that I find funny.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

You forgot to add the extra 20mins for the driver sitting in front of the sign "Detour - Road Closed" trying to figure out what he/she is supposed to do.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Dizzy1 wrote:You forgot to add the extra 20mins for the driver sitting in front of the sign "Detour - Road Closed" trying to figure out what he/she is supposed to do.

Turn off at Hwy 97A & Hwy 97B to Sicamous (via Grindrod & Mara) takes 20 to 30 minutes. MOTI should have people at both ends letting only local traffic thru (depending which side mudslide they live on).

Added: before road was reopened
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:
Turn off at Hwy 97A & Hwy 97B to Sicamous (via Grindrod & Mara) takes 20 to 30 minutes. MOTI should have people at both ends letting only local traffic thru (depending which side mudslide they live on).

Added: before road was reopened

I think you missed the context of my post ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Please what part did I get wrong.

Residents of that area, know that if 97A is closed what route to take. At this time of year the amount of visitors is very low.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Via google street-view this is area of the mudslide based of the picture on Castanet:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Mara+L ... da3fd6d80b
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:Please what part did I get wrong.

Residents of that area, know that if 97A is closed what route to take. At this time of year the amount of visitors is very low.

Wow, did you ever miss it LOL ;)

Read the OP - we wasn't talking about local residents trying to get home :)

And for the record, local residents are just as daft behind the wheel when it comes to instructions.

Return to “North Okanagan”