Books on Historical Figures in the Okanagan

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Books on Historical Figures in the Okanagan

Post by Glacier »

Every time I go to the O'Keefe Ranch and other such historical sites around the area, I leaf through the books they have for sale. Interestingly, most of the books come from the Cariboo, an area that I'm quite familar with, but not really relevant to the Okanagan. BTW, the author of this book was on the CBC News the other day because her husband with Alzheimer disease got screwed over by the bank (not the first time Judy has been screwed over by the bank as her book discusses in detail). Other examples of Cariboo books I see at the O'Keefe include this, this, and this.

I did see one or two Okanagan based books whose titles I cannot recall, but I have to ask, why are there so few (or perhaps the question is why are there so many from the Cariboo)?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
hallgirl

Re: Books on Historical Figures in the Okanagan

Post by hallgirl »

The Vernon Museum has an extensive collection of history books on the Okanagan. It is definitely worth a visit - the staff and volunteers are very welcoming and helpful with advice.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i worked for kelowna museum and in the archives theres lots cool stuff
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I'm looking for everyday kind of books you can find off the shelf. Maybe even newer stuff. Autobiographies and such.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

This might give you a start - enjoy!

http://www.okanaganhistory.com/
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

http://okanaganhistoricalsociety.org/history_books.html

I believe they have a fairly comprehensive collection of these "reports" at most local libraries if you want to have a peek at them before buying. I think in Penticton they are in the reference section so you wouldn't be able to check them out and take them home.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Doug Cox is a local historian/author and has written a few books on the history of Penticton and the South Okanagan. His books, I believe, are readily available.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Tony wrote:Doug Cox is a local historian/author and has written a few books on the history of Penticton and the South Okanagan. His books, I believe, are readily available.

Tony .. Check the link on my previous post :)
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Well.... looky at that! :)

Return to “North Okanagan”