Pets off-leash at Kalamalka Lake Provincial Park

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Pets off-leach at Kalamalka Lake Provincial Park

Post by Smurf »

They are under control, isn't that the idea.

We are travelling in California right now and noted in the park rules where we are staying that California law says that dogs must be on a leash with a maximum length of 5 feet.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
diggermechanic

Post by diggermechanic »

this dog issue is getting worse and if anyone says anything....you are classed as some evil monster. Not everyone wants to be around dogs!!!! In Penticton and especially in Summerland, the bylaws are broken. The bylaw in Summerland is.... a dog must be on a leash not longer than 6 ft. not these extendable types. And as mentioned in past posts ,by others, dog owners are very sensitive. In Summerland, behind ( I believe it is called) Cartright Mountain ....there is walking trails which are wonderful, but, you have to watch where you walk because of the stuff on the trail. We have watched dog packs chasing deer and nothing done. Time for more people to make some noise.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

"Cartwright!! Party four!".

Not on topic but you don't get these chances often.

Sorry, it's in the post above.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Smurf wrote:They are under control, isn't that the idea.

We are travelling in California right now and noted in the park rules where we are staying that California law says that dogs must be on a leash with a maximum length of 5 feet.

Don't know if that's California law as the park(resort) I live in Indio says 6 feet? Are you saying state park or private park(resort)
jjones007

Post by jjones007 »

It's great to see all the responses to my post, thank you! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels like there is something not quite right.
I've emailed BCParks http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... amalka_lk/ with my concerns and I also emailed the Friends of Kalamalka Provincial Park as well. http://www.kalamalkapark.ca/Home.html

Does anyone else have any ideas about how to bring more awareness to this?

Maybe get a Park Ranger to setup shop for a few weekends at the park, or maybe even some news coverage?

Facebook wall of shame for those owners caught with animals off leach.

It feels like it's something we should fight for, I'm tired of dodging dog poo, shielding my daughter from unleashed dogs, having horses on Corsens Beach (I have a pictures), there are rules and people need to abide by them or face a fine.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

jjones007 wrote:It's great to see all the responses to my post, thank you! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels like there is something not quite right.
I've emailed BCParks http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... amalka_lk/ with my concerns and I also emailed the Friends of Kalamalka Provincial Park as well. http://www.kalamalkapark.ca/Home.html

Does anyone else have any ideas about how to bring more awareness to this?

Maybe get a Park Ranger to setup shop for a few weekends at the park, or maybe even some news coverage?

Facebook wall of shame for those owners caught with animals off leach.

It feels like it's something we should fight for, I'm tired of dodging dog poo, shielding my daughter from unleashed dogs, having horses on Corsens Beach (I have a pictures), there are rules and people need to abide by them or face a fine.

all you will get is lip service and a "we are aware of the problems" type thing
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Pets off-leash at Kalamalka Lake Provincial Park

Post by Smurf »

wanderingman wrote:

Don't know if that's California law as the park(resort) I live in Indio says 6 feet? Are you saying state park or private park(resort)

In the park literature it states "California laws", that is all i know.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

diggermechanic wrote:this dog issue is getting worse and if anyone says anything....you are classed as some evil monster.

As are many dog owners classed by non-dog owners.
diggermechanic wrote:Not everyone wants to be around dogs!!!!

Can't understand why not ... can't imagine life without one ... but to each their own :)
diggermechanic wrote:In Penticton and especially in Summerland, the bylaws are broken. The bylaw in Summerland is.... a dog must be on a leash not longer than 6 ft. not these extendable types.

This is really the only bylaw that really irritates me, there is nothing wrong with having a longer leash as long as the dog owner uses it properly ... reels it in around other people or around traffic for example, but there should be no problem using a longer leash in areas where there are few people. Its just unfortunate that many self righteous and ignorant dog owners don't understand that.
diggermechanic wrote:Time for more people to make some noise.

As long as you don't get carried away, then I have no problem. I know there are many non-dog owners out there who would be more than happy to ban dogs period or tell me I have to keep my dog leashed in my backyard ... which for me is just as ignorant as dog owners who don't clean up after their dogs.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

wanderingman wrote:
Don't know if that's California law as the park(resort) I live in Indio says 6 feet? Are you saying state park or private park(resort

="Smurf
In the park literature it states "California laws", that is all i know.

that's why? Like I asked are you referring to a state park or a private RV Park/ resort
mikepro44

Post by mikepro44 »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Mar 24th, 2015, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

I don't care to much about the off leash thing, if your fido wants to come bite me, no problem but expect to have some vet bills. However it would be nice if the dog owner would pick up the crap. And FYI- putting the crap in the bag and leaving the bag beside the trail is not considered cleaning up after your animal.
biggoofball

Post by biggoofball »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Mar 24th, 2015, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Mar 26th, 2015, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic, personal attack
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

*removed*
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

*removed*
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent

Return to “North Okanagan”