A story about 99 preachers and another guy

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

A story about 99 preachers and another guy

Post by Thinktank »

There was once a city that had ninety nine churches with ninety nine preachers
all preaching the world of God every Sunday in their own church. Total cost of the churches was $99 million. The preachers taught the people exactly how they should live, according to the word of God. The other guy never went to church.

And after church one Sunday, all ninety nine preachers drove ninety nine cars
to the grocery store to buy ninety nine containers of California strawberries on sale for ninety nine cents per lb. They were all happy the strawberries were on sale because they felt they were almost getting something for free, and they all liked stuff that was a bargain. The ninety nine containers of strawberries all had an assortment of different pesticide residues, some of which were impossible to wash off. These are systemic pesticides - they're absorbed by the plants. The other guy went to buy organic strawberries for twice the price. The organic strawberries, coincidentally, were grown by some guy who also never went to church.

And before eating the nice big red juicy strawberries that were on sale, the ninety nine preachers asked God to bless the food they would eat, but they forgot to ask God to bless the Mexicans who picked those strawberries, all day, working in fields treated with pesticides. These preachers never forgot to ask a blessing on their food, in ninety nine years. And when they saw the other guy downtown they would always ask him when he's coming to church.

Can someone tell me what the moral of the story is?

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
cliffy1
Übergod

Re: A story about 99 Preachers and Another Guy

Post by cliffy1 »

Even the shepherds are sheeple?

When pastors ask me why I don't go to church, I tell them, "because I'm a born again pagan" or "I'm the high priest of spiritual anarchy. I have a following of one... me."
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: A story about 99 preachers and another guy

Post by steven lloyd »

Thinktank wrote: Can someone tell me what the moral of the story is?

Never wait for as long as you have before seeking professional help.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I don't know which is correct but either:

1. Don't do drugs.

Or

2. If you are prescribed drugs, take them.

My guess is #2.
You and 71 others Like this post
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

steven lloyd wrote:Never wait for as long as you have before seeking professional help.

And here I thought the moral was to just not read TT's posts.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

so many morals to the story:

cheapest isn't always best
sheeple aren't always correct
$billions spent on churches aren't always worth it
walk to the grocery store instead of drive
Bible (word of God) is incomplete regarding nutrition and health
Pride (preachers) comes before a fall
California too dependent on pesticides
Everyone likes a bargain
People don't care about the farmworker
Organic food is overpriced. Or not.
Is asking a blessing before eating food - really the way to go?

I could think of many more morals of the story if I wanted to.

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Nope. Gonna stick but what I posted above.

The moral was to just not read TT's posts.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I'm going to stick to mine too. TT needs to determine which one it is that affects him.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

a Christian wrote:You hate Christians.

Is there a billion Christians on earth? Then tell me why none of them care
about the guy who works on the farm. Tell me why every one of the billion Christians
on earth only care about 'saving a few bucks.'

By the time you eat those grapefruits and oranges and bananas, the sprays have had a chance
to at least a little bit, break down and partly disappear. Sprays get washed off by rain, or the sun breaks it down a bit.
But the farm worker is forced to work in fields that were treated with pesticides just a few days earlier - day after day.
Those pesticides get absorbed through his skin - thousands of times more than for the general population.
Just so Christians can save a few bucks - then thank Jesus for a wonderful meal God has provided.
It's the farm worker who has provided that meal. Christians should go to him, personally, before
every meal and thank him for the meal they are about to receive. Without the farm worker,
the Christians would not be able to save the money - to build the churches.

Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Before every meal, when we ask god to bless the food we are about to receive,
we should also thank the farm worker - for slave labor. "Thank you Pedro, and your wife and your kids,
for slaving away in the hot sun in fields treated with pesticides - for $5.00/hr - slave wages - so I can
'save a few bucks.' Amen.

TAMPA, the United States, March 26 (Xinhua) -- The ongoing labor conflict between the Latino tomato pickers and a major grocery store chain has shed light on the issue of underpayment for migrant agricultural workers in the United States.

The dispute between Publix, one of the largest privately owned companies in Florida, and the Latino tomato pickers has been going on for almost two months, and caught the U.S. public attention in early March when 70 of them staged a six-day hunger strike before Publix's headquarters in Lakeland, Florida.

The protesters, organized by the non-profit Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) in Immokalee, demanded Publix raise its payment by one penny per bucket (32-pound) of the tomatoes picked. The tomato pickers currently are paid 50 cents per bucket of tomatoes picked -- a rate that has not changed since 1980.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world ... 884690.htm

LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

As usual, perhaps you should check your sources for accuracy, TT.

Or, don't quote a Chinese media source when getting on your North American pesticide/labor/Jew/Christian/Ukrainian/etc. rants.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Farm Workers Claim Slavery in Florida

Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Thinktank wrote:
The protesters, organized by the non-profit Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) in Immokalee, demanded Publix raise its payment by one penny per bucket (32-pound) of the tomatoes picked

^^^ the Chinese got that wrong. it's one penny per lb.

hahaha

I thought that sounded absurd. But the farm workers are still slaves. And the Christian preachers still like a bargain.
Like everyone else. We all like a bargain.

cliffy1
Übergod

Post by cliffy1 »

God doesn't supply the fruit, veggies or meat that people keep thanking him for. The Earth provides all the food. God (the biblical or any other god) has nothing to do with food production. Dirt and people do and you never hear the "pious" brethren give thanks to them.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Let's say God provided the minerals in the soil.
God provided the sun.
God made the seasons which make it possible to grow the produce.
God created lakes which provide necessary water - or rain.
then God made the bees which pollinate the crops.
God even made the hail which doesn't ruin the crop most of the time.

Then it's okay to thank God for the food we are about to receive. But it's not
okay to go out and save money on that food at the expense of the farm worker.
It's not okay for big business to increase profits on that food at the expense of the health
of the farm worker. And it's not okay for the preachers to be part of the system
that puts profits above all else - then thank God for having a nice meal.

If preachers want to be separate from the world they should be separate from the world's profits.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”