Skaha Hills Development

ToddT
Übergod

Re: Skaha Hills Development

Post by ToddT »

Lol just sayin'. I'd take the 18 holes too.
Might be a different land owner or something I have no idea.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The most important thing with Skaha Hills was water. The water system was built and running last spring/summer so they could water the grapes all summer. Sewer was much later, and so was electricity, water treatment plant, etc.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Glacier wrote:The most important thing with Skaha Hills was water. The water system was built and running last spring/summer so they could water the grapes all summer. Sewer was much later, and so was electricity, water treatment plant, etc.

Why did Skaha Hills not tie into the City Water system? I understand they put in well(s). Seems rather odd since they did get City Sewer, and Fortis Gas and Electricity. Maybe the water system is what is holding things up.

I thought that originally the first owners were slated to move in just after Christmas.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Why tie into city water when you have to pump the water up the hill anyway? Plus, adding more and bigger pipes can be quite expensive. It makes a lot more sense to simply drill a new well at the bottom of the hill, and pump it up to the top.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Glacier wrote:Why tie into city water when you have to pump the water up the hill anyway? Plus, adding more and bigger pipes can be quite expensive. It makes a lot more sense to simply drill a new well at the bottom of the hill, and pump it up to the top.

I would question the quality of the water from wells as compared to Filtered City Water. I believe that West Bench recently bought into the City water system, so it cant be that expensive a proposition.

I would rather be on city water and septic than the other way around. I think that Westbench and the Indian Village are all still on septic systems.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Well water is perfectly safe. It gets treated half way up the hill at the water treatment building that has now been energized. It is no different than city water. It essentially is city water. Skaha Hills is going to be tied in to the city for septic. Notice the big azz sewage lift station being built at the highway intersection.
- Douglas Murray
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I can't comment on the engineering of the domestic water system for this development cuz I know nothing about it. Having said that however, given the Ministry of Health's governance and their very recent increased standards for water quality, certain flags start to fly for me. Quite honestly, I am not sure whether I would buy in to anything that was a private water system supported by such a low population cost contribution rate. Even at a total build out of 600 homes, one new condition requirement from the Ministry of Health could mean thousands of dollars for each stakeholder to come into the new compliance.
There are plenty of examples of this happening in the Thompson Okanagan right now and the hardship of expense is shared by far more than 600 homes. The decision to go with a private water system rather than anti up and pay for a city connection for water (even as per the West Bench precedent), like they did for sewer speaks volumes to me. It was cost control and margins.

"We have to do this for sewer but we can comply with water by doing this", is the planning conversation. And the PIB as well as Greyback are conforming to the current rules. Neither have done anything wrong and have worked between the current legal goal posts. As an owner in this development, I would be very concerned about who is going to share in the cost when the goal posts get moved. And they will be moved.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

pentona wrote:

I would rather be on city water and septic than the other way around. I think that Westbench and the Indian Village are all still on septic systems.

Of course they are still on septic tanks leaching into the ground. Westbench (and the "Indian Village") will never have a sewer system because the local serviced population would never agree to pay the per capita expense of the required sewage plumbing both from their own properties and the system that would be running in their road system. Complete with pump lift stations for low spots in elevation. I should not say "never". I should say never until their is a population density willing to absorb at least some of the cost.
Kind of what I was referring to in my previous post about private water system expenses. Difference is Westbench residents can vote on the question of paying for a sewer system. They can just stay on septic cuz they already exist and are grandfathered. Once you have bought into a private water system, you are not grandfathered and subject to new compliance regs.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

well I do see people have moved into their new digs on or about the 1st of April. Looks pretty impressive. I see people putting together their new BBQ's, enjoying their huge decks and views. Those views day or night would be magnificent. Lots of activity going on with all kinds of trades working, putting in driveways, landscaping and the big machinery routing new roads further up the hill for their next phase as Phase 1 is sold out.

It is a real plus for Penticton with a lot of cash being pumped into the community. Nice to see the vision by Greyback.

Return to “North Okanagan”