Boonstock

ToddT
Übergod

Re: Boonstock

Post by ToddT »

Hmmm wrote:Was every news report wrong? If it was then I was misinformed. Of course I do not believe every person there was doing illegal drugs and having sex in public. I HATE DRUG USE! I wish everyone would stop doing them. You may feel its just fine to say everything is grand and let the KIDS DIE. I wont. And yes, several close family members have died from drugs.

Key word alert! "Hate." Bigotry identification confirmed.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

ToddT wrote:Key word alert! "Hate." Bigotry identification confirmed.

How does hating drug use make one a bigot? Where is the irrational unfairness there when that opinion is based on experience and fact?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I guess it would depend on just how you look at drug use. I don't think that everyone at Boonstock was high, but...that was the atmosphere the promoters wanted people to assume would be prevalent. It's what sold the tickets. Firstly, I'd like to qualify my comments in that aside from the legal ramifications, I believe that generally speaking today's recreational drugs are safer than alcohol, and that people who look down their noses at drug use just because it's drug use need to smoke a fatty. Or something to widen their range of vision. I'm pretty sure that if all the drug use at Boonstock had been replaced with alcohol use it would have been a real mess. That being said, the failure of this function to gain widespread support outside those attending was a giant misstep on the part of the management team. The regulatory bodies involved saw early on that these people did not have their safety concerns in the right place, something that should have been paramount when hosting what was essentially a no-holds-barred party for thousands.

Still, the writing was pretty much on the wall as functions that promote giant parties are a huge challenge when it comes to monitoring the behavior and safety of the participants, and are generally short-lived for that same reason. (Wakefest)
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Fancy wrote:How does hating drug use make one a bigot? Where is the irrational unfairness there when that opinion is based on experience and fact?

I was stooping to Hmmm's level of making reckless accusations.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

The RCMP force their services on them and then overbill."

Wow.. that statement says more than it was intended to, I'm sure. The event in Penticton was bad enough, even with the RCMP present in the numbers they were able to supply. Their purpose.. to keep the peace and to attempt to ensure all of those who attended remained safe. Wasn't there something close to 80 taken to hospital for treatment during the course of the event? And I know we haven't forgetten that a young woman died. The moment it was determined that the security being provided by the promoter was inadequate, the entire event should have been cancelled. There wouldn't have been the big "unpaid" bill for the RCMP providing the resources deemed necessary to keep the situation under control, etc. Boonstock got kicked out of their site in Alberta... that should have been a good hint to the powers that be in the South Okanagan. Now Boonstock can't pay their bills... surprise, surprise.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Hmmm wrote: I HATE DRUG USE! I wish everyone would stop doing them. You may feel its just fine to say everything is grand and let the KIDS DIE. I wont. And yes, several close family members have died from drugs.

At least we now know why your pendulum has swung as far as it has.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Treblehook wrote: The moment it was determined that the security being provided by the promoter was inadequate, the entire event should have been cancelled.

I think you should take a moment to consider what would very likely have happened if your advice had been followed.

8 thousand party charged 20 somethings on a Saturday of a committed long weekend with the plug pulled on their party. Do you think they would all just say "ah, bummer" and pack up and go home or find something else to do to finish off the long weekend?
I am certainly glad you were not in a position to make such a decision.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Sounds like Hammer time.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

You're absolutely right Anonymous123. Now we have 20 years of Boonstock fear mongers to protest events before we get to try again.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

ToddT wrote:Now we have 20 years of Boonstock fear mongers to protest events before we get to try again.

As much as there were many who were against this function from the start, they had no success in keeping it from happening did they? And it's not local whiners who are to blame for the festival's failure to generate enough support to warrant a return event, that sits entirely in the lap of festival organizers.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

In response to twobits comment/response to my posted remarks: I realize it would have been problematic to say the least, to cancel the event at the last minute. My post said that they should have cancelled the event as soon as they saw the security was not sufficient... and if I remember correctly, the authorities were questioning the numbers and adequacy of security long before the event was finally approved. That is what I meant. When one thinks about it, the Boonstock event in Alberta had it share of issues and was consequently given the boot from its location there. Their track record should have been working against them from the get go!! Seems the notion that they were going to put on a first rate event in Penticton was a bad decision on someone's part.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Treblehook wrote:...they should have cancelled the event as soon as they saw the security was not sufficient... and if I remember correctly, the authorities were questioning the numbers and adequacy of security long before the event was finally approved.

I think that's a major part of the "big picture". With the event being held on PIB locatee land, and with the blessing of the land owners and the PIB tribal council all the approval they needed was already in place. All the dancing back and forth with the RCMP and other regulatory bodies was for the liquor license only which was, as we know, withheld due to the same concerns you speak of. But I don't think the thing could have been stopped entirely once a deal was struck with the landowners. And I don't doubt this was part of the organizers' overall strategy.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Treblehook wrote:In response to twobits comment/response to my posted remarks: I realize it would have been problematic to say the least, to cancel the event at the last minute. My post said that they should have cancelled the event as soon as they saw the security was not sufficient... and if I remember correctly, the authorities were questioning the numbers and adequacy of security long before the event was finally approved. That is what I meant. When one thinks about it, the Boonstock event in Alberta had it share of issues and was consequently given the boot from its location there. Their track record should have been working against them from the get go!! Seems the notion that they were going to put on a first rate event in Penticton was a bad decision on someone's part.

I apologize. Thought you were inferring that as soon as security was determined to be inadequate when the concert had already began, it should have been cancelled.
Semantics? Sorry.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:

I think that's a major part of the "big picture". With the event being held on PIB locatee land, and with the blessing of the land owners and the PIB tribal council all the approval they needed was already in place. All the dancing back and forth with the RCMP and other regulatory bodies was for the liquor license only which was, as we know, withheld due to the same concerns you speak of. But I don't think the thing could have been stopped entirely once a deal was struck with the landowners. And I don't doubt this was part of the organizers' overall strategy.

Yup, you are right.
Let me condense that. "We are on Native Land and we don't have to comply with everything required. We are going to do this and you can't stop us".

Really bad position to take and shows the immaturity, lack of business sense, and qualifications of the local hired management. I will never forget, "I don't want to talk about that.....can we just talk about the fun stuff instead"

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Really bad position to take and shows the immaturity, lack of business sense, and qualifications of the local hired management. I will never forget, "I don't want to talk about that.....can we just talk about the fun stuff instead"

Makes you wonder where and if she'll pop up next.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent

Return to “North Okanagan”