Lyme disease-- Problem in the Okanagan?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Lyme disease-- Problem in the Okanagan?

Post by kgcayenne »

A person I know of from SK sold his house and took the proceeds to NY for a year to get treatment.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Re: Lyme disease--Problem in the Okanagan?

Post by Danielson99 »

Liquidnails wrote:It is completely false to say that mainstream science and government do not recognize lyme disease. In fact, Canada has a 3 year action plan on Lyme disease that began in March.

Here is some information on Lyme Disease from Canada's public heath agency.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/id-mi/lyme-eng.php

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/phn-asp/2013 ... 30-eng.php

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/id-mi/lyme-plan-eng.php

For additional information, I would suggest typing "Lyme Disease" in the search box at http://www.google.com

You have no idea what you're talking about. I can give you a list of peoples names who have been turned down for treatment because doctors will not recognize lyme's as a disease. You can post all the links you want but in reality..you're completely wrong.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Here's what I don't understand. People go into tick areas, and in spite of preventative measures, manage to collect ticks (it happens). So they check themselves afterward, find ticks, and remove them. Did they have any ticks attached? If not, they can't get lyme disease. If they did have ticks attached, they might get a rash (or not). At any rate, they go to the doctor and show the tick bite, and start antibiotic treatment early. If you had quadruplets, all with tick bites, you put them on antibiotics, do tests (not sure how good the tests are).If they develop symptoms, a somewhat longer course of antibiotics would be given. Which doctor would refuse to prescribe antibiotics for a tick bite or bull's eye rash after a tick bite? Doctor's prescribe antibiotics for ear infections and other relatively minor infections, why would they ignore this one? Why would treatment cost $20,000. What is so special in these medications which are being prescribed? Anyone have a link to scientific studies on these particular medications and how effective they are? If they work for lyme disease, perhaps in those few cases where antibiotics didn't work, there must be studies to that effect.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

This map shows where lyme disease is found. The Okanagan is prime, especially the north.
BCMJ_53Vol5_lyme_fig1.JPG
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

This is what I brought home the other day
This is what I brought home the other day
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I went to see my Naturopathic Dr and Family doctor this week due to fatigue and other symptoms. I was telling a friend about my symptoms and he texted me later and said maybe you got bit by a tick. At this point I looked down at the large bruise on my thigh which I had assumed was just a regular run of the mill bruise. Feeling it I noticed that at the centre is a rough spot that looks like a bite.

Both doctors associated my original complaints to a previous GI issue I have seen both of them about in the past, which is fair enough. With this new information and the bruise I brought it to both doctor's attention.

The naturopathic doctor believes it could be lyme disease as the symptoms line up and is going to investigate further. The GP does not believe it could be lyme disease but gave me a requisition for a blood test for lyme disease all the same. He mentioned how controversial lyme disease is.

One of my symptoms is significant blood loss shown through a blood test I did, this could be explained by babesiosis. Other symptoms include a reduced heart rate (below normal), fatigue, itchy eye, slurred speech and lack of concentration.

Just have to wait for the blood test results and hope it doesn't get any worse.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

D: I hope it isn't - oh I hope it isn't!!
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I haven't failed until I quit.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I have yet to be given any kind of diagnosis. I did get tested for lyme but must have came back negative as I never heard back from my physician. I am seeking treatment through my Naturopathic Dr. and hope to pin point the issue.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

TreeGuy wrote:I have yet to be given any kind of diagnosis. I did get tested for lyme but must have came back negative as I never heard back from my physician. I am seeking treatment through my Naturopathic Dr. and hope to pin point the issue.

Scary stuff. My aunt-in-law was originally thought to have MS before being diagnosed with Lyme disease by an American doctor. I agree with the posters that Canada is severely behind with this horrible disease.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

You can access your test results online if you had lab work within the last 30 days at:
Lifelabs
Valley Medical Laboratories
BC Biomedical Laboratories or
As an outpatient only at Vancouver Coastal Health, Providence Health Care or Fraser Health

Register and as soon as results are released from the performing lab, they're available online in my ehealth.
http://myehealth.ca/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

TreeGuy wrote:I have yet to be given any kind of diagnosis. I did get tested for lyme but must have came back negative as I never heard back from my physician. I am seeking treatment through my Naturopathic Dr. and hope to pin point the issue.

The Canadian test is notorious for giving false negatives. If you think you might have lyme disease, spend the money, and get the test done in the USA. A cheaper option would be to take a blood sample to your vet, and tell them that you think your cat has lyme disease, so you'd like them to test the blood for it.
- Douglas Murray
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

And your vet who is fairly well educated, is going to draw blood from your cat which will likely come up neg. How does this help you?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Yeah, I don't think Glacier thought that one through.

Return to “Health”