The Penticton Positives Thread

questionablecontext

The Penticton Positives Thread

Post by questionablecontext »

Hi gang,

I've been visiting these boards for a number of years now. While I'm glad we have a place for us to talk about our city, I have noticed that there is a reoccurring theme of negativity, condescension, passive aggressiveness. Not just about certain aspects of our community, but also directly aimed at certain commenters. Hey, I get it. I'm not too pleased with the way certain things are going in our town either. And sure, everyone is in entitled to their opinion. The writing is on the wall that we have our differences.

This is not what this thread is about.

I would like to see a thread based around only positive remarks, ideas, and discussion. A place where you can tell us about some of the good that is going on in our city. Tell us about the places you, or you and your family enjoy visiting. Let's hear some ideas of potential business' or services that we might not have that could be a positive for our city. Tell me about that delicious meal you had at that new restaurant last night. Drop a quick review on the concert you saw. Your favourite hikes. Anything. I would like to just see a little more sense of community. Summer is coming, perhaps someone who is interested in our city stumbles upon this thread and finds something they like.

I, for one, and looking forward to our farmers market starting up again on May 2nd. My best friend's mom will be selling some of her delicious curries there this year. Also, I went and spent some time in the old barn (memorial arena) the other day. It brought back a lot of good memories. In fact, I brought along my girlfriend who is from the Dominican Republic. She had never seen a hockey arena before and was blown away (and a bit cold)! It was nice to show and explain to her the heritage that's inside. I miss seeing that place packed.
Tony
Übergod

Re: The Penticton Positives Thread

Post by Tony »

What a great thread.

Positives about Penticton are plentiful. You are right - the negative nellys do raise their ugly head a lot.
If your girlfriend liked the barn take her to a Vees game (April 10) in the beautiful building called SOEC.

Walk down the beach at either Okanagan or Skaha Lake

Drive up Munson's Mountain and take a look at the breathtaking scenery.

I could go on, but work is calling.....
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

There's no place anywhere like Penticton.

Someone once commented "have you noticed how clean this city is?"
Skaha beach area is the best beach in Canada.
The view driving to Naramata is incredible.

But it's all natural beauty this place has. Orchards. vineyards. Lakes. Ski hills.
Culturally - we're kind of a boring Canadian city with a Walmart.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

3 Blind Mice is an awesome area to mountain bike! I'll make the drive down from Westbank several times a year to ride it. Typically followed up with a burger and a beer at Burger 55.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

When we have friends from outside the area visit, they're amazed at how they can ride into town on the bike trail and then to our doorstep on our quiet neighbourhood streets, then we can walk to the beach (stopping at unique and wonderful places like Burger 55 on the way back), sit outside for the evening without being eaten alive, or stroll downtown to one of our favourite restaurants for an incredible evening meal, or take in some great local theatre.

Rush hour here adds maybe five minutes to our trip if our timing's really bad, and that's if we have to take the car. For most of us, grocery stores, medical facilities and library are all within walking distance or a short transit ride away.

And we spend so little time shovelling snow in our brief, warm winters.

This really is still a little slice of paradise. It doesn't take much effort to recognize how fortunate we are to live here.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
nikonfan
Fledgling

Post by nikonfan »

Penticton is awesome because they actually have a planning department that implemented a viable bypass with as few lights as possible unlike the gridlock in Kelwona, West Kelowna (which is nothing but a ghost town). Lake frontage that everybody can enjoy not just the privileged few like in Kelowna and some parts in West Kelowna. It is almost as nice as Peachland and comes in at a solid 2nd place then Kelowna 3rd and Veron comes in dead last because there really is nothing I can see good about Vernon except for the nice highways leading out. It is actually painful to drive through Vernon, a marvel of mans inability to design a proper road system.
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

As a former resident of Peachland/West Kelowna I can with 100% assurance is that Penticton has way more to offer than any of those 2 places. They have nothing on Penticton. The beach in Peachland is ROCK bottom, not nice sand like we have here. The people I have met here are also way friendlier. There is no way people in Kelowna would stop to talk to you on the street like we do here. They would think there is something wrong with you if you started talking to them.

One of my favorite sites to visit is Skaha Lake walkways. You can walk along there or sit on the benches, talk to people walking their dogs. Have a fire in the fire pits right on the beach. Now how good is that?

Have a great day.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Penticton has a fabulous downtown. Tons of great stores. Main Street alone has:

100 block – Ogo’s
200 block – SmartShopper Discount
- Sirius Science
- Grooveyard
300 block – Mykonos
- Vitamin King
- Elliott Row
- Cue’s
- City Centre building was nicely renovated to retain its historic beauty
400 block – Urbana Clothing
- Ceders Sewing Centre
- Navratan (Spice Magic?)
- Rosebell Boutique
- LakeCity Appliance
- Brodo
500 block – Penticton Lock & Key
- Freedom Bike Shop
- Lachi
- Accent Chocolates
600 block – Computer Source
- Terwilligers
- Theos
- United Church is another historic building that sort of defines the downtown area.

There are so many more great stores downtown, these are just some of the ones I’ve had good experiences with. And honestly, you can’t beat the Community and Farmers Markets that run every Saturday morning from May to October. Tons of fun!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The bakery in the South main Grocery. >drool<
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Walla Artisan Bakery and Cafe in the Cannery. OMG, his foccacia buns are addictive!

Actually, the Cannery is kind of a cool building. Valentini's Cafe is good food too. There's a new ReStore now that I keep meaning to check out.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Apr 13th, 2015, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.

Return to “North Okanagan”