Double Talk

Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Double Talk

Post by Swoop »

...showing his true colors?...

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#138885

...what manner is this for a leader of his supposed stature to act?...and to top it off - has a hissy fit because someone was there and recorded his childish display for posterity's sake...nice of the chief to show truly how he feels, and the manner of concern he holds for those (non-native) that may have a difference of opinion...in the criminal courts we have another native Canadian exercising his rights as a Metis aiding in reducing his criminal sentence - even though he's only been out of custody 23 months out of the last 10 years...

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/13 ... l-released

...the real problem - is anyone that criticizes this, or other issues of native concern - is fast labeled a racist...that's a cop out and avoidance technique perfected by those criticized in not having to atone for their actions...can you seriously imagiune the consequences, if a government leader told an assembly of first nations people to "suck it up" ?...you wouldn't be able to turn your head fast enough to see the blockades spring up across the province...shame on you Chief Clarence Louie - you of all people should know better - but thanks for revealing your true colors and feelings towards your neighbors...
Last edited by Swoop on May 1st, 2015, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Double Talk

Post by Liquidnails »

Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

Liquidnails wrote:Wat? Are you a friend of this guy? http://www.osoyoostimes.com/local-senio ... g-quickly/

...lol - nope - but I have a hard time disagreeing with what he's saying...
diggermechanic

Post by diggermechanic »

Nice post swoop.. you got balls. Every person that lives in our great nation of Canada should be aware that we are all Canadians and not segregate Indians or whites etc etc. This crap of we were here first....in my opinion is bs. A nation that stands together is together.
On the west side of Kelowna the band have posted "Welcome" to what ever they call their reserve area....in Penticton they have posted "Keep out". Nice work keeping up the segregation. Its time to move forward, become a part of the community. Welcome one and all as Canada does.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

There was a time when white people were very apprehensive to do business development with First Nations and vice versa. It appeared that Chief Clarence Louie worked very hard to bridge the division and differences between the two. He also worked hard to gain the trust of development groups. The band is now thriving with numerous big developments - many of which were completed by partnering with white people. This speech may have revealed his true/underlying prejudice and dislike for white people. I really thought that Chief Louie was using the advantages given to First Nations - but that he had let go of the 'blame game'. I think this speech surprised many people who had put Chief Louie on a pedestal.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It might come as a big surprise to many just how resident natives were treated by our noble pioneer forefathers when it came to land deals. Browbeating and intimidation were common tools because they were "just indians".
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I think its time that we just settle with the natives and the natives just agree to the settlement and be part of Canada and not a seperate Identity. 400+ years is a long time.

I do not know of any country (unless im wrong let me know) that have conquered a land with previous inhatiants that gave a deal like the natives had. Usually the natives of the land had to assimilate to the people that have conqured them. Some didnt...they just emliminated them all together.

Also for bones to be there for that long How do we know they were actual Native Indians. Are they saying that all pre human and human life all the way to say whatever BC was native? human is human...

As well another note someone said that the bones came from fill to fill and stabilaize Haynes Point. how do we know? We dont.

This is a how I think as a tax payer that pays them their unlimited tribute.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Symbonite wrote:As well another note someone said that the bones came from fill to fill and stabilaize Haynes Point. how do we know? We dont.

You bring up an interesting talking point that I had not heard of before. My recollection of media reports only said "bones". Old bones at that. However it is rather important to know if the bones were essentially intact skeletal remains as in a burial. I would hope that our archaeological expertise in today's world would be able to differentiate between genuine burial sites and that of displaced landfill or animal/scavenger dispersed pieces.
I think you are probably just hearing smack talk from local's that are not happy about the change in control of the park.

As to your other comments on the frustration of financial (or otherwise) resolution with Natives.....I am on the same page as you. Time to git er done so we can all move forward and stop kicking the can down the road to our next generations.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Symbonite wrote:I think its time that we just settle with the natives and the natives just agree to the settlement and be part of Canada and not a seperate Identity. 400+ years is a long time.

I do not know of any country (unless im wrong let me know) that have conquered a land with previous inhatiants that gave a deal like the natives had. Usually the natives of the land had to assimilate to the people that have conqured them. Some didnt...they just emliminated them all together.

Also for bones to be there for that long How do we know they were actual Native Indians. Are they saying that all pre human and human life all the way to say whatever BC was native? human is human...

As well another note someone said that the bones came from fill to fill and stabilaize Haynes Point. how do we know? We dont.

This is a how I think as a tax payer that pays them their unlimited tribute.

First nation people were not conquered, even the history books say that. The courts recognize aboriginal title.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

fluffy wrote:It might come as a big surprise to many just how resident natives were treated by our noble pioneer forefathers when it came to land deals. Browbeating and intimidation were common tools because they were "just indians".

human history is loaded with human atrocities done to groups of people ,not just natives, 6million ecxected jews comes to mind.yes it was horrible what happened ,the past can not be changed-sad but true
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

the truth wrote:human history is loaded with human atrocities done to groups of people ,not just natives, 6million ecxected jews comes to mind.yes it was horrible what happened ,the past can not be changed-sad but true

The concept for Hitler's concentration camps came about while studying the North American Indian Reservation.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

is there a number-stat- out there on how many natives might of been killed back then ??
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

the truth wrote:is there a number-stat- out there on how many natives might of been killed back then ??

Record keeping wasn't very good back then. Many tribes became extinct, from either disease, murder from settlers, and war from government armies.

example :

"In his January 1851 message to the California legislature, California Governor Peter H. Burnett promised "a war of extermination will continue to be waged between the two races until the Indian race becomes extinct." Newspapers cheered on the campaign. In 1853 the Yreka Herald called on the government to provide aid to "enable the citizens of the north to carry on a war of extermination until the last redskin of these tribes has been killed. Extermination is no longer a question of time--the time has arrived, the work has commenced and let the first man who says treaty or peace be regarded as a traitor." Other newspapers voiced similar sentiments.

Towns offered bounty hunters cash for every Indian head or scalp they obtained. Rewards ranged from $5 for every severed head in Shasta City in 1855 to 25 cents for a scalp in Honey Lake in 1863. One resident of Shasta City wrote about how he remembers seeing men bringing mules to town, each laden with eight to twelve Indian heads. Other regions passed laws that called for collective punishment for the whole village for crimes committed by Indians, up to the destruction of the entire village and all of its inhabitants. These policies led to the destruction of as many as 150 Native communities."

Edited to add to keep on topic; I know some of the people involved in native archiology in my area. FN have been here for a long time. Grave sites are everywhere. I have no reason to question their findings.
Last edited by driveangry on May 4th, 2015, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

your calling it a war, meanwhile lots on here say there never was a war, and or were never at war, which one is it ????
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

How is any of this discussion about the actual bones found on Haynes Point???
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “North Okanagan”