Double Talk

Poindexter
Guru

Re: Double Talk

Post by Poindexter »

mrmagoo wrote:I agree the comment wasn't great.

I think Mr. Louie's community has made progress and he has had a role, although there are many many others behind the scenes doing the work. Leaders don't generally do the work although they do wear the success/failure.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... ice=mobile

Pretty savvy businessman.
Over a glass of riesling, Chief Louie explains that the only way for First Nations communities to gain economic independence is to go into business. “The economy should always be the number one issue,” he says, gazing into the distance. “It’s the number one issue for white people – it should be the number one issue for native people.”
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
mrmagoo
Fledgling

Post by mrmagoo »

Anyone with any on the ground experience will tell you that there is no option for First Nations: they need own source revenue and have to make it happen against significant barriers. Growing populations and limited lands and the residential school legacy is tough. OIB has had some good successes but that doesn't mean that Mr. Louie is doing the work or that he has made it happen by himself. He hasn't. He has talked about it a lot though. Good PR.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

mrmagoo wrote:Anyone with any on the ground experience will tell you that there is no option for First Nations: they need own source revenue and have to make it happen against significant barriers. Growing populations and limited lands and the residential school legacy is tough. OIB has had some good successes but that doesn't mean that Mr. Louie is doing the work or that he has made it happen by himself. He hasn't. He has talked about it a lot though. Good PR.

He's a good leader. He's leading his people in a direction that is consistently bringing them upward and forward. To my mind, that's exactly the work his people count on him to do.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
mrmagoo
Fledgling

Post by mrmagoo »

He is a successful PR person which is very important. His role as the front person is a stressful one and would not suit everyone and he is the right person for this. The reality is that progress is measured on the ground. The work, including the strategic work required to make progress, is done by many people who are as much or more responsible for the success story. I would like to hear him give appropriate credit to others. I don't think I have.
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

I saw Chief Louie at a conference once and he was a very good speaker. He was not elequont but a "tell it like it is" person. It bashed his own race much more than anyone else. He talked about how it sickened him that overheard natives talking about "freedom 18" being old enough to collect welfare on their own.

He also talked about the importance of jobs, jobs, jobs for self worth. He has done more for his race than most chiefs so if he says a few things don't hold it against him.

I agee we need to get the treaties settled and move on. Just spending unlimited amount of money on a problem doesn't seem to be working.

Return to “North Okanagan”