Mount Kinabalu

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Mount Kinabalu

Post by I Think »

In response to deaths on the mountain following an earthquake,
Sabah Deputy Chief Minister Joseph Pairin Kitingan blamed the tragedy on a group of 10 foreigners who "showed disrespect to the sacred mountain" by posing naked at the peak last week. He said a special ritual would be conducted later to "appease the mountain spirit."

One can perhaps understand why an official in a third world country may be so ill informed as to think there may be a mountain spirit.
How can North American officials be so ill informed as to think there may be an all powerful man in the sky?
Surely education and information makes it quite clear that a pie in the sky guy is an absolute fantasy.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Mount Kinabalu

Post by Farmmaa »

I Think wrote:
One can perhaps understand why an official in a third world country may be so ill informed as to think there may be a mountain spirit.
How can North American officials be so ill informed as to think there may be an all powerful man in the sky?
Surely education and information makes it quite clear that a pie in the sky guy is an absolute fantasy.

Logically, one would like to think so, but unfortunately the brainwashing is too deeply ingrained for many.
I will never understand how well educated, intelligent people can buy in to any of it.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Jun 9th, 2015, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Jun 9th, 2015, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Jun 9th, 2015, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/141 ... ntain-gods

Following a link to the story in fact reveals no reference to North American officials presuming there is an all powerful man in the sky. Aside from another piteous attempt to overgeneralize the very diverse and often far from simplistic spiritual beliefs of millions, we can appreciate why certain posters consistently refrain from posting links to the stories they reference.

eta: this story might be more appropriately referenced in the Social Concerns board where we could discuss the worth of people informing themselves of and be willing to respect the culture and laws of countries they plan on travelling to and within. The ignorance and arrogance to presume otherwise can be costly, as this pair of siblings may sadly discover.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

My opinion,sir does not need to be supported by what others write or say.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Jun 9th, 2015, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

These guys look like Darwin Award candidates in the making. Who goes a Muslim majority nation (or any nation for that matter) to do completely disrespectful things in the eyes of the local culture, take pictures of it, and then post it on social media? How dumb do you have to be?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Glacier wrote:These guys look like Darwin Award candidates in the making. Who goes a Muslim majority nation (or any nation for that matter) to do completely disrespectful things in the eyes of the local culture, take pictures of it, and then post it on social media? How dumb do you have to be?

This.

"When in Rome" has been a saying for a long time, strangely too many do not seem to understand the basis of the meaning. If you go somewhere other than home show respect to local culture and societal norms, to act like you are at home is silly when you are not at home.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

I spend quite a lot of time in Mexico and seeing how some of the gringos disrespect the culture is sad (Yes dear Canadians are gringos too).
Most Mexicans are ready to accept an honest cultural mistake, as long as they do not think it a slur.
The worst are the missionaries, they have raddled the Hawaiians with guilt, they barge into a culture and try to make everyone a sinner full of guilt.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

I Think wrote:I spend quite a lot of time in Mexico and seeing how some of the gringos disrespect the culture is sad (Yes dear Canadians are gringos too).
Most Mexicans are ready to accept an honest cultural mistake, as long as they do not think it a slur.
The worst are the missionaries, they have raddled the Hawaiians with guilt, they barge into a culture and try to make everyone a sinner full of guilt.

If you want to call yourself "I Think" you need to keep your thoughts in check. So far it is a thread about tourists in Malaysia that disrobed and is now about rude Canadians in Mexico who don't follow the American beliefs of the people in Hawii. Apparently the racist term gringo is causing issues in Hawaii that have offended some Mexicans that are tolerant to a point and that made Canadian tourists in Malaysia strip and be disrespectful.

Or your disjointed thoughts could be referenced somehow to explain the fact that tourists, no matter the country, showed disrespect and will be punished for it.

Now the form that punishment should, yet will take is certainly up for debate and hopefully, some hell of a prison can be avoided for people being stupid (by our terms) and some form of recompense can be found between nations to deal with this......to the point that if when they get home they laugh within 6 months about it....maybe they go back.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I Think wrote:

You're trying to address two completely different topics in one thread and doing it poorly. Maybe get your priorities and/or your agenda sorted out and re-post?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Vevis introduces this.

When in Rome" has been a saying for a long time, strangely too many do not seem to understand the basis of the meaning. If you go somewhere other than home show respect to local culture and societal norms, to act like you are at home is silly when you are not at home.

My response was to discuss Mexico, gringos, & missionaries. If you do not think that germain, try re reading.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”