Cisco Road Wildfire (near Lytton)

Fire-related topics
daria
Guru

Cisco Road Wildfire (near Lytton)

Post by daria »

600 hectares and a Rank 5.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#142030

A very aggressive wildfire is currently burning near Lytton, already sitting at 600 hectares.

Named the Cisco Road Wildfire, it is zero per cent contained, and smoke can be seen from Highway 1.

Fire Information Officer Kelsey Winter says they are hoping the 40-60 km/h winds will die down as are hampering efforts and keeping the fire at a 'Rank 5' – the most aggressive.

“We hope the winds calm down, that is currently the biggest challenge," says Winter.

Fires are ranked from a one to a six, with six being the most extreme. A 'Rank 5' means the fire is an “extremely vigorous surface fire that produces black to copper smoke, has an organized crown fire front, moderate to long-range spotting and independent spot fire growth”. Rank 5 fires are considered very difficult to control.

There was no lightning reported in the area and as a result the fire is believed to be human caused, at this time.

“There are three helicopters actioning the fire, as well as 22 firefighters with 20 more en route,” explains Winter.

We will have more details as they become available.

Send photos and video to [email protected].
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
daria
Guru

Re: Cisco Road Wildfire (near Lytton)

Post by daria »

From CBC:

Lytton wildfire covering 600 hectares west of Fraser River
Aircraft and 20 firefighters are responding to blaze

CBC News Posted: Jun 11, 2015 1:57 PM PT Last Updated: Jun 11, 2015 3:37 PM PT

A fast-growing wildfire is threatening buildings a few kilometres south of Lytton, B.C.

The B.C. Wildfire Management Branch says strong winds are driving the 600-hectare blaze, which is burning up a steep hillside on the west side of the Fraser river, roughly 100 kilometres north of Hope.

Fire information officer Melissa Klassen says the fire was first reported around noon and has grown rapidly in size. Klassen says the fire is roughly 10 kilometres south of Lytton and moving north.
Fire is 'engulfing everything'

Klassen says the Lytton First Nation has evacuated a few homes and put some others on evacuation alert.

"We are seeing aggressive, high fire behaviour. It is a crown fire which means that it is engulfing everything that it comes in contact with," she said. "It's travelling from those tree tops."

The wildfire management branch has 20 firefighters on scene, with more on the way, and is responding to use with the support of air tankers and helicopters.

"The thing that is challenging crews right now is that they are experiencing 40 kilometre winds out there right now. And the fire behaviour is very high and very intense."
Trees 'whipping up in flame'

Barry Shantz, who lives three kilometres south of Lytton, says he's been watching the fire from his home across the river.

"Sometimes we can see trees just going from the bottom to the top, just whipping up in flame."

Gerry Giesbrecht says he could see smoke billowing up into the air from several kilometres away as he drove through the area.

"The most powerful plume of smoke I have ever seen. Like a volcano, thick."

Stay safe, everyone.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

Siska Cam located 10 kM south of Lytton shows the fire - http://visiwisp.lyttonnet.com/app/camcon.php#img2

2nd image.

Click on image to refresh cam.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Thanks for the link to the webcam.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

is the smoke in the air over kelowna right now from this fire, or is there another burning closer to home?
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

Smoke is from the Cisco Road Fire according to the BC Wildfire page..
Wildfire 3

Post by Wildfire 3 »

vinnied wrote:is the smoke in the air over kelowna right now from this fire, or is there another burning closer to home?

Pretty sure its from the Lytton fire, it was over Vernon too when we were there today for a course...not aware of anything closeby that could make a plume that huge.
Deployed - Destroyed - Enjoyed
Oliver 2015
Allears
Fledgling

Post by Allears »

Is this smoke here in the valley from the Cisco fire? The dark color makes it look like a closer fire!! Sure hope the winds die down for the fire fighters.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

Yes it is and look at 3rd post and you can see the fire.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Smoke visible in Kelowna now
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

I had to close the windows and patio doors earlier, as the smoke was starting to sting my eyes.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

If you look closely at the environment Canada visible sat shot now, you can see the breadth of the smoke...

https://weather.gc.ca/data/satellite/go ... le_100.jpg
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Wow, no wonder you've had to close your windows and doors.
http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/142041/Smoke-in-the-Valley
We're lucky down south in Penticton, so far. (We generally get our smoke and ash from Washington State instead.) The smoke's visible from here, though. Looks like it's "starting" somewhere between Summerland and Peachland.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

It looks like they knocked it down pretty good. Hopefully with the cooler weather tomorrow they'll have it under control.
Attachments
Lytton.jpg

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”