Fire and Wilden

Fire-related topics
drex1999
Board Meister

Fire and Wilden

Post by drex1999 »

Now that Knox had a fire, I wonder when the city will wake up and put a second road into all the Wilden homes North of Union before a disaster happens if a fire breaks out and that whole neighborhood only has one way out.
JoePlanner
Fledgling

Re: Fire and Wilden

Post by JoePlanner »

There are alternate routes in and out that were cleared and graded as part of the development. They're not paved, permanent roads, but there are other ways out for both private vehicles and fire vehicles.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Construction vehicles used to go in and out the back way. I think it was Begbie Road that wound its way right back to Glenmore Road though part of it was just rough graded and after construction they put concrete barriers up.

In any case there are ways out in times of emergency.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There are 2 roads to the roundabout then 1 from there up.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

If Wilden is seen as an issue then what about Glenrosa in West Kelowna? One road out and already seen one serious fire and another last year which could have blown that direction. Many residents concerned when they were planning more homes up there and no second route. At least Wilden can be accessed from Union or Clifton now
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I'd be far more leery of living in McKinley Landing in case of fire, as compared to Wilden.
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

dodgerdodge wrote:If Wilden is seen as an issue then what about Glenrosa in West Kelowna? One road out and already seen one serious fire and another last year which could have blown that direction. Many residents concerned when they were planning more homes up there and no second route. At least Wilden can be accessed from Union or Clifton now

False. There are three routes out of Glenrosa. Glenrosa Road, Lower Glenrosa Road, and Jackpine forest service road.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I'd be far more leery of living in McKinley Landing in case of fire, as compared to Wilden.

No kidding. If i lived in certain parts of McKinley and there was a fire or a scenario where a second acess was needed, i think i would consider that, my boat.

I think there are tons of little crannies like McKinley all around the valley.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I'd be far more leery of living in McKinley Landing in case of fire, as compared to Wilden.

monroe wrote:No kidding. If i lived in certain parts of McKinley and there was a fire or a scenario where a second acess was needed, i think i would consider that, my boat.

I think there are tons of little crannies like McKinley all around the valley.

Got that right, I wouldn't even consider living in McKinley unless I owned a boat and it was ready to go if needed at a moments notice.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

The other two places I worry about in Lake Country are The Lakes and Nighthawk Rd off Tyndall Rd. No accessible exit by boat in either case. The Lakes may have dirt access roads off of it towards Oyama ...anyone know?. But Nighthawk Rd ......mmmm...... that one is scarey.
Why is it not code that these developers have to institute more than one exit in their plans ? We live in forest fire country after all !
People buying into these areas need to do their research before getting all gaga over the view.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”