Drying trend

Fire-related topics
Frisk
Guru

Drying trend

Post by Frisk »

It seems like we got our entire months worth of rain in the first week of June and the rest of the month looks like it'll be warm and sunny. The danger rating right now is still fairly low but if June continues this way and first few weeks of July are as dry as they usually are then it'll definitely rise significantly.
Attachments
June 14.png
Kelowna June 15, 16, 17, 18.png
June 19, 20, 21.png
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Drying trend

Post by Fancy »

Actually, the boards noting the fire hazard are moderate to high.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Quailize wrote:It seems like we got our entire months worth of rain in the first week of June and the rest of the month looks like it'll be warm and sunny.

More like a month and a half's worth of rain in 2 days. Kamloops had 50 mm in two days, and only normally gets 37 mm for the entire month of June (the wettest month of the year). Fairly typical really. Mostly we get thunderstorms that dump rain, then nothing but sun for a while, which dries things about. The dry conditions on the coast are pretty typical as well. Victoria is the driest place in in the summer in terms of the number of rain days and amount of precipitation. Interestingly, the place with the most number rain days in Canada is also in BC. McBride and Crescent Spur, east of Prince George, average more than 21 days of precipitation in July, the most in Canada. This area can be called thunderstorm alley.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

There's a 100% chance of rain tonight for Kelowna, but literally only kelowna. 30-60% chance for other places in the Okanagan.
Attachments
June 18th.png
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

The danger rating has dropped significantly throughout BC.
Attachments
June 19th.png
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

We really need to get a heavy rainfall before we head into July but the forecast doesn't look very promising.
Attachments
June 20, 21, 22, 23.png
June 24, 25, 26.png
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

There's a couple of small thunderstorms moving through the valley. I doubt the lightning will spark anything but a heavy downpour is certainly welcome.
Attachments
Storm.png
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Cool looking pictures from the webcams.
Attachments
Storm 2.jpeg
Storm 3.jpg
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It's very, very dry in Alaska right now. Here is a recent picture:

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Yes, it's dry in Alaska. I hope they get some rain soon. It doesn't get as hot there as it does here in BC though, one good rain storm can keep conditions cooler for longer periods of time. Unfortunately they haven't been able to get any yet.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Quailize wrote:Yes, it's dry in Alaska. I hope they get some rain soon. It doesn't get as hot there as it does here in BC though, one good rain storm can keep conditions cooler for longer periods of time. Unfortunately they haven't been able to get any yet.

That's actually not true. Fairbanks, Alaska has an average daily low in June and July that is warmer than Kelowna. Ya, ya, the airport is in a bit of a frost hollow, but still, most of fires in BC are up on the plateaus which average about 3000 ft above sea level. By contrast, the plateaus in Alaska are about 300 feet above sea level, and thus have average summer temperatures similar to if not warmer than BC plateaus.
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

The average high in Kelowna is a fair bit higher than that of Fairbanks. I've been to Alaska quite a few times, they just don't get the smoking hot temperatures that we see here in the steep valleys and canyons in the southern part of BC. The weather was pretty much the same in every Alaskan city that I went to, I'd say it would be most comparable to Fort St. John.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Expect some restrictions within the coming weeks as temperatures begin to soar. Campfire ban will probably come into effect within the next 10 days.
Attachments
June 21, 22, 23, 24.png
June 25, 26, 27.png
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Maybe some rain tonight & tomorrow.
Attachments
Forecast.png
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-48_metric_e.html

The forecast looks hot and dry but I am certain we will get a big soaking of rain once the hot conditions drop back to normal. I think July will be a wet month, things need to balance out somewhere.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”