Road Rats in South OK and Similk.

cv23
Guru

Re: Road Rats

Post by cv23 »

twobits wrote:[
Your attitude is both arrogant and entitled when you think a bicycle at 15 kph on a dedicated roadway should be the measure of the lowest speed use of that asphalt.

Here lies your problem. You seem to incorrectly believe roadways are dedicated for the use of motorized traffic only and that is totally incorrect. Maybe you need to take your drivers exam again and be reminded that cyclist have ask much right to use of the road as do cars or trucks. It's the law
cv23
Guru

Re: Road Rats in the south ok and similk

Post by cv23 »

southy wrote: As far as your comments about cyclists - sure they have a right to use the highways and streets, unfortunately some think they have more rights than motorists and usually they are wearing that stuff called spandex.

Just like another poster here incorrectly thinks motorists have more rights????
Sure many crosswalks could us better signage but it is not the fault of the person using the marked crosswalk. If you feel so strongly maybe you should contact the government in charge of the road and recommend better signage?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

cv23 wrote:You are very correct that "Our hwy's were built for the movement of people". Many of those roads/highways were built when the method of transportation by people was by horse and wagon, bicycle or even on foot. Long before motorized vehicles became the norm.

Motorized vehicles pay over 40% tax at the gas pump to fund the cost of roads and their upkeep. What do cyclists pay? Oh yeah, nothing.

Until such time as I see license plates on bicycles they most certainly don't have the same rights as motorized vehicles and in some places in fact they are prohibited from using certain roads for safety reasons.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
ToddT
Übergod

Re: Road Rats in South OK and Similk.

Post by ToddT »

While we're talking about rights and rules of the road, maybe we should incorporate some sort of licensing/insurance program for highway cyclists? In order to bicycle on any road over a posted speed limit of 50 km/h you have to take a cycling course and purchase necessary insurance in the event you cause an accident.

I mean, fair is fair, right?
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote: Motorized vehicles pay over 40% tax at the gas pump to fund the cost of roads and their upkeep. What do cyclists pay? Oh yeah, nothing.

Until such time as I see license plates on bicycles they most certainly don't have the same rights as motorized vehicles and in some places in fact they are prohibited from using certain roads for safety reasons.

I would suggest cyclists should pay a registration fee. We don't pay taxes at the gas pump cause we don't need the gas!

We also save the medical system a ton of money because we are healthy and don't need constant visits to the medical system. Our wear and tear on the road is also WAY less than trucks
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

gman313 wrote:We also save the medical system a ton of money because we are healthy and don't need constant visits to the medical system.

What a stupid and arrogant comment.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

gman313 wrote:Our wear and tear on the road is also WAY less than trucks

That is so true. Taxes on gas should be two things. One, to pay for the wear and tear you cause, and two, to pay for the damage to the environment by burning fuel. Cyclists cause no damage, but separate bike paths do cost extra, so I can see why the hard core neocons in the Okanagan have a problem with general tax money going toward bike paths.

While I may lean right, I don't lean that right. The benefits of divided bike paths are justified for a variety of reasons - They take cars off the road, reducing wear and tear on the road in the process, they encourage tourism and exercise, and they provide a better environment for motorists who don't want to have to deal with slow cyclists.

Asking cyclists to pay for bike paths is like asking pedestrians to pay for sidewalks.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
antelee
Fledgling

Post by antelee »

Glacier:
Pedestrians DO pay for sidewalks. It's called Municipal taxes.
Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

antelee wrote:Glacier:
Pedestrians DO pay for sidewalks. It's called Municipal taxes.

And cyclists pay for bike paths too... it's call municipal taxes, income taxes, fuel taxes (when they drive), etc.

EDIT: Did anyone see what Oregon is doing? I'm not a big fan for a number of reasons because I think bigger and heaver vehicles should pay more per mile. Anyway, how it works is everyone pays 1.5cents/mile in tax no matter what vehicle they drive... http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture ... -road-tax/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Clearly a personal opinion.
Maybe if you have time you could provide us with a list of the type of roadways, a list of specific roads within the province would even be better, which cyclists are "prohibited from using"?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Glacier wrote: I'm not a big fan for a number of reasons because I think bigger and heaver vehicles should pay more per mile. Anyway, how it works is everyone pays 1.5cents/mile in tax no matter what vehicle they drive... http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture ... -road-tax/

Heavier vehicles do pay more....both in insurance as per their GVW and the simple fact that because they burn more fuel, they are contributing more in taxes to pay for their wear and tear on the road.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

twobits wrote:Heavier vehicles do pay more....both in insurance as per their GVW and the simple fact that because they burn more fuel, they are contributing more in taxes to pay for their wear and tear on the road.

Wrong. A diesel F350 pays less road tax than an F150.
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote:Wrong. A diesel F350 pays less road tax than an F150.

Proof?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

cv23 wrote:
Clearly a personal opinion.
Maybe if you have time you could provide us with a list of the type of roadways, a list of specific roads within the province would even be better, which cyclists are "prohibited from using"?

Obvious baited question. We are all quite aware the freeway designated hwy's do not allow cyclists or pedestrians on the shoulders. It is easily googled. Some of us however are dreaming of the day when cyclists are also prohibited from secondary hwy's except where their is a safe and adequate shoulder for them to ride on.
I emphatically do not oppose cyclists anywhere as long as there is a lane for them to travel in that does not impede motorized traffic....be it pleasure travel or commerce.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Glacier wrote:
Wrong. A diesel F350 pays less road tax than an F150.

Justify that please. I don't care what vintage either vehicle is either. The f350 is going to burn more fuel and pay more in taxes.

Return to “North Okanagan”