Road Rats in South OK and Similk.

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Road Rats in South OK and Similk.

Post by Donald G »

A little more help with the definition of motor vehicle, vehicle, m/c and off Road vehicle;

Section 1 - Definition Section

"vehicle" means a device in, on or by which a person or thing is or may be transported or drawn on a highway, but does not include a device designed to be moved by human power, a device used exclusively on stationary rails or tracks, mobile equipment or a motor assisted cycle;

"motorcycle" means a motor vehicle that runs on 2 or 3 wheels and has a saddle or seat for the driver to sit astride;

"off-road vehicle" has the same meaning as in the Off-Road Vehicle Act;

"motor vehicle" means a vehicle, not run on rails, that is designed to be self propelled or propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but does not include mobile equipment or a motor assisted cycle;

"motor assisted cycle" means a device

(a) to which pedals or hand cranks are attached that will allow for the cycle to be propelled by human power,
(b) on which a person may ride,
(c) to which is attached a motor of a prescribed type that has an output not exceeding the prescribed output, and
(d) that meets the other criteria prescribed under section 182.1 (3);
Last edited by Donald G on Jun 28th, 2015, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Rights and duties of operator of a cycle ... which includes bicycle and tricycles

Rights and duties of operator of cycle - Sec 183(1);Sec 183 Subsection 2 through Subsection 17 as noted to the left;

183 (1) In addition to the duties imposed by this section, a person operating a cycle on a highway has the same rights and duties as a driver of a vehicle.

(2) A person operating a cycle
(a) must not ride on a sidewalk unless authorized by a bylaw made under section 124 or unless otherwise directed by a sign,
(b) must not, for the purpose of crossing a highway, ride on a crosswalk unless authorized to do so by a bylaw made under section 124 or unless otherwise directed by a sign,
(c) must, subject to paragraph (a), ride as near as practicable to the right side of the highway,
(d) must not ride abreast of another person operating a cycle on the roadway,
(e) must keep at least one hand on the handlebars,
(f) must not ride other than on or astride a regular seat of the cycle,
(g) must not use the cycle to carry more persons at one time than the number for which it is designed and equipped, and
(h) must not ride a cycle on a highway where signs prohibit their use.
(3) Nothing in subsection (2) (c) requires a person to ride a cycle on any part of a highway that is not paved.
(4) Despite section 165, a person operating a cycle who intends to turn it to the left at an intersection where there is more than one lane from which left turns are permitted must
(a) cause the cycle to approach the intersection in the lane closest to the right side of the highway from which a left turn is permitted,
(b) keep the cycle to the right of the line that divides the lane referred to in paragraph (a) from the lane immediately to the left of that lane,
(c) after entering the intersection, turn the cycle to the left so that it will leave the intersection to the right of the line referred to in paragraph (b), and
(d) when practicable, turn the cycle in the portion of the intersection to the left of the centre of the intersection.
(5) A person must not ride a cycle, skate board, roller skates, in-line roller skates, sled, play vehicle or other similar means of conveyance when it is attached by the arm and hand of the rider or otherwise to a vehicle on a highway.
(6) A cycle operated on a highway between 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise must have the following equipment:
(a) a lighted lamp mounted on the front and under normal atmospheric conditions capable of displaying a white light visible at least 150 m in the direction the cycle is pointed;
(b) a red reflector of a make or design approved by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia for the purposes of this section;
(c) a lighted lamp, mounted and visible to the rear, displaying a red light.
(7) Despite any other provision of this Act or the regulations, a cycle may be equipped with a flashing red light that is of a make or design approved by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia for the purposes of this section.
(8) A cycle operated on a highway must be equipped with a brake that will enable the person operating the cycle to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level and clean pavement.
(9) If an accident occurs by which a person or property is injured, directly or indirectly, owing to the presence or operation of a cycle on a highway or a sidewalk, the person in charge of the cycle must
(a) remain at or immediately return to the scene of the accident,
(b) render all possible assistance, and
(c) give to anyone sustaining loss or injury his or her name and address and the name and address of the owner of the cycle, and if the cycle has been licensed and registered, the licence or registration number of the cycle.
(10-13) [Repealed 2008-42-83.]
(14) A person must not operate a cycle
(a) on a highway without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway, or
(b) on a sidewalk without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the sidewalk.
(15) If a person is convicted of an offence under this Act in respect of his or her riding or operating a cycle, the court may, in addition to or in place of any penalty otherwise prescribed, order the cycle seized, and on the expiry of that period the person entitled to it may again have possession of the cycle.
(16) For the purpose of seizing and impounding a cycle under an order made under subsection (15), a peace officer may enter any place or building in which the cycle is located.
(17) A person operating a cycle on a highway must signify
(a) a left turn by extending the person's left hand and arm horizontally from the cycle,
(b) a right turn by doing either of the following:
(i) extending the person's left hand and arm out and upward from the cycle so that the upper and lower parts of the arm are at right angles;
(ii) extending the person's right hand and arm horizontally from the cycle, and
(c) a stop or decrease in speed by extending the person's left hand and arm out and down from the cycle.
Last edited by Donald G on Jun 28th, 2015, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Donald G wrote:Rights and duties of operator of a cycle ... which includes bicycle and tricycles

Rights and duties of operator of cycle
183 (1) In addition to the duties imposed by this section, a person operating a cycle on a highway has the same rights and duties as a driver of a vehicle.

The above highlighted is the most pertinent as well as most frequently ignored by hwy cyclists as well as John Law.

Donald, may I ask that you provide the correct section of the MVA with regards to a vehicle operators obligations with regard to inability to maintain posted speed limits and obligations of the operators of these vehicles with respect to traffic flow. I am asking you cuz you obviously know where it is rather than me reading the whole MVA Act.
I am pretty sure I know what those legal requirements are and if the road rats actually abided by them, and John Law actually made more of an effort to enforce them, we could probably peacefully coexist on the road network.
These new left lane hog rules are actually a mockery if the intent is to improve traffic flow while not enforcing already existing laws on impeding traffic flow by vehicles clearly unable to maintain the posted speed limit on a flat grade.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Road Rats

Post by 36Drew »

Glacier wrote:Can it still be called a highway at that point?

Yes. Because, under the MVA, "Highway" is synonymous with "Road" and the definition even includes your driveway.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

Just to add some food for thought...
They do things differently in different places around the world:

"Amsterdam has more bikes than people, 4x more than cars! Amsterdam is widely considered one of the top - if not the #1 - cyclist city in the world. There are about 880,000 bicycles in a city of 800,000 people (though it's frequent for people to have more than one bike, f.ex. a cargo bike to carry heavy things and a commuting bike for everyday rides), and 32% of all trips are make on bikes while only 22% are done in cars.... Over the next two decades, the city will invest $135 million to improve the biking infrastructure, including the creation of 38,000 bike parking racks “in the hot spots.”

http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/amsterdam-there-such-thing-too-many-bikes-880k-city-800k.html
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

Also, there's this...

What-does-your-commute-cost.jpg
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

totoramona wrote:Just to add some food for thought...
They do things differently in different places around the world:

"Amsterdam has more bikes than people, 4x more than cars! Amsterdam is widely considered one of the top - if not the #1 - cyclist city in the world. There are about 880,000 bicycles in a city of 800,000 people (though it's frequent for people to have more than one bike, f.ex. a cargo bike to carry heavy things and a commuting bike for everyday rides), and 32% of all trips are make on bikes while only 22% are done in cars.... Over the next two decades, the city will invest $135 million to improve the biking infrastructure, including the creation of 38,000 bike parking racks “in the hot spots.”

http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/amsterdam-there-such-thing-too-many-bikes-880k-city-800k.html

Yup, that is sweet, warm and fuzzy. Problem is this is a discussion of spandex impeding hwy traffic for sport, not people commuting to work or buying groceries in a city of 800,000.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Totoramona ...

And then we have cities like Vancouver where the housing is so high priced that people who opt to ride bicycles to save money can not afford to live in the city.

What are they supposed to do; cycle 20 or 30 miles to work from a place they can afford to live outside of Vancouver or arbitrarily forego any chance of finding a job in Vanacouver ??
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Donald G wrote:To Totoramona ...

And then we have cities like Vancouver where the housing is so high priced that people who opt to ride bicycles to save money can not afford to live in the city.

What are they supposed to do; cycle 20 or 30 miles to work from a place they can afford to live outside of Vancouver or arbitrarily forego any chance of finding a job in Vanacouver ??

Funny. I work in Burnaby, and live in Coquitlam (just). Part of the area you'd call "Vancouver". I do just fine.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

36Drew wrote:
Funny. I work in Burnaby, and live in Coquitlam (just). Part of the area you'd call "Vancouver". I do just fine.

Well don't leave us guessing! You are doing fine commuting to work via bike or vehicle and how far is your commute?

Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

totoramona wrote:Also, there's this...

What-does-your-commute-cost.jpg

Which means nothing without a source... sorry.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

twobits wrote:Well don't leave us guessing! You are doing fine commuting to work via bike or vehicle and how far is your commute?

13Km, and a combination of both.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:highways, (the definition of highways locally meaning anywhere there is a speed limit of 80kph or higher)

From the MVA:

"highway" includes

(a) every highway within the meaning of the Transportation Act,
(b) every road, street, lane or right of way designed or intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles, and
(c) every private place or passageway to which the public, for the purpose of the parking or servicing of vehicles, has access or is invited,
but does not include an industrial road;

Sounds like your made-up definition and the legal definition vary by an incredibly wide margin. Seems like you're working purely on conjecture and misinformation.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

twobits wrote:Yup, that is sweet, warm and fuzzy. Problem is this is a discussion of spandex impeding hwy traffic for sport, not people commuting to work or buying groceries in a city of 800,000.

Come on now tell the truth.
If we look back your initial post/rant/juvenile tirade is all about seeing all bicyclists completely removed from the roadways to be relegated only to the shoulder or a bike lane because you are so self entitled that you think you and your big truck are more important. Let me paraphrase for those not interested in scrolling back.

twobits wrote:And by road rats I mean cyclists........
I know this will not be popular with many who favour cycling as a responsible and efficient mode of transportation...... .
What really pains me, and costs me dearly, is cyclists on our dedicated hwy's......... Cyclists are then in the actual lane of traffic. And the motoring public is expected to defer to their presence!!! ..........Try driving a loaded truck up a grade in the right hand lane cuz you have to to let traffic pass in the left lane and you come up to cyclists in your lane!! You have lost your inertia and now in the basement for gears following a friggen cyclist and there is no way in hades that you will ever be able to pass them by going into the left lane because traffic is ripping past you.
Why do bikes get to usurp the roadway? Why are they not required to dismount and walk the portion of Hwy's that have no adequate shoulder for them to ride on?.......

Maybe the spandex rider is a professional triathlete? He's riding as training which is part of his paid profession.
Lets take a look at your example. Why should you in your truck who is not capable of maintaining highway speed on a hill and therefore doing the correct thing by driving in the right hand lane have any more right to that right lane than a cyclist who is doing the very same thing? You both are doing the correct thing by letting faster traffic pass you in the left lane but for some misguided reason you think you are more important and have more right to the road than a cyclist. You both have an equal right to the road so just why do you think your rights trump those of the cyclist?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Pretty soft response CV. Let's see .. Two wheel bike going uphill peddle powered .. Doesn't matter how much shifting they are doing the only thing they are really doing is SLOWING themselves and other traffic behind them down. They may have a right but the right thing to do is get off the highway and let these vehicles including Twobits truck get by.

Return to “North Okanagan”