Campfire ban as of Friday noon

Fire-related topics
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Campfire ban as of Friday noon

Post by Tacklewasher »

Kinda surprised it took this long, but the ban will be in effect this weekend.

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/143196/ ... rts-Friday
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Campfire ban as of Friday noon

Post by Bsuds »

Should have been much sooner!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Could be wrong but I don't think a single wild fire has started as a result of a campfire this year, so while I understand the reasoning it is a shame. It isn't camping without a fire and there is still no easier method to keep the bugs at bay than a small smokey fire.

We were at a lake this last weekend flyfishing and the no see ums were in full force, bug repellent kept them at bay for maybe about 30 minutes before it wore off and we started getting eaten alive. Just a tiny fire with a good sappy log on top provided all the protection we needed.

But I fully understand, a group of 20 something's were camping across the lake and they had an illegally large fire that could have easily gotten out of control. The morons were using logs 4 feet in length in order for it to be seen from space I'm assuming. I'd say its a an example of a small percentage of idiots ruining it for everyone but everytime that generation shows up at a campsite it's the same thing. They howl like they never get out and burn everything in site like its a necessity.

I just wish they'd enforce the legal size of campfires more often, not only are they a hazard, they turn a clean campsite into a sooty mess. Damn youthful ignorance, I'll get off my soap box now and pack my single burner for the rest of summer but it wont be the same.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

Poindexter wrote:We were at a lake this last weekend flyfishing and the no see ums were in full force, bug repellent kept them at bay for maybe about 30 minutes before it wore off and we started getting eaten alive. Just a tiny fire with a good sappy log on top provided all the protection we needed.

I also prefer the smoke as bug repellent but what I've found that works the longest and best is Ultrashield Fly Spray for horses. The bugs hover but they can't land.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

About time. Just saw a report that there's yet another fire in WA, West Dalles, wicked badass fire from the vid on FB.

Nevermind all the ones here.

Pray for rain and a cooling trend.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Unfortunately the campfire ban doesn't actually mean ban to a lot of people. To them it means "let's go to a more remote location and have a campfire so we won't get caught."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Yep they can ban camp fires, unfortunately it's a whole lot harder to ban stupidity.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

If you go camping and still want to enjoy the ambiance of a fire. the portable propane ones are still aloud. dont know how well they would be for deterring the bugs though,
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

We have a campfire in a can, and love it. This is just the new way to camp. Every year from now on you'll have bans, guarnateed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMNdssqAA08
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

jam apple wrote:We have a campfire in a can, and love it. This is just the new way to camp. Every year from now on you'll have bans, guarnateed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMNdssqAA08

Only thing with the above is on campfire it embers that can float away that could start a forest fire. So the propane & charcoals are okay, its adding wood that would be the problem.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:I also prefer the smoke as bug repellent but what I've found that works the longest and best is Ultrashield Fly Spray for horses. The bugs hover but they can't land.

I originally liked this because I laughed, now that I read it again it sounds like your serious. I've seen this nasty stuff sprayed around horses eyes and faces so it mustn't be too toxic but still wasn't something I would use on myself. So are you actually saying it's safe for humans use as well?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Poindexter wrote:Could be wrong but I don't think a single wild fire has started as a result of a campfire this year, so while I understand the reasoning it is a shame. It isn't camping without a fire and there is still no easier method to keep the bugs at bay than a small smokey fire.

I'm not a big fan of the bans, but at least you can still have camp fires within city limits.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Poindexter wrote:Could be wrong but I don't think a single wild fire has started as a result of a campfire this year

Yes, but it has happened before in the past.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Firewatch-2005/11919/Campfire-Cause-Of-Rose-Valley-Blaze

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelowna/55967/Sailview-Bay-fire-human-caused

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelowna/119148/Forest-fire-cause-determined
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Can't speak to the others but I believe the smith creek fire started during the ban. Which may be why they picked an idiotic spot to place it. Secluded and right in the middle of a path surrounded by trees with a dry grassy hill literally inches away. If they were trying to start a wildfire they couldn't have picked a better spot.

Like someone said, if we could ban stupidity there would be no need for campfire bans, but unfortunately people are within thier rights to be epic idiots.

Went up to sunset lake yesterday, the scrub along the sides of the roads and paths couldnt be any drier and a middle aged quader ripped by with a massive Cuban like cigar hanging out of his mouth. The cherry was blowing in the wind like a kids sparkler, you'd think all the tiny burn holes in his face would clue him in. Stupidity comes in all forms but they can't ban everything. It's too bad campfires are just the easiest target to focus on.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

The total province is under campfire restriction orders (campfire ban). In my 50 years in fire control I can not ever recall this happening. Although I stand to be corrected.

All of the Fire Wardens have been putting up signage for the past two days and and we will now be doing frequent patrols. What is interesting is many campers had started using their propane campfires or quit having campfires several days ago. Good on them for being so cautious. The attitude has totally changed to acceptance rather than whining and complaining.

Also today I was up to the 5000 foot level, walked into the bush to check the fuel and it is as dry as if it were in August. Hope we get some good rains soon.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”