Road Rats in South OK and Similk.

cv23
Guru

Re: Road Rats in South OK and Similk.

Post by cv23 »

southy wrote:Two wheel bike going uphill peddle powered .. Doesn't matter how much shifting they are doing the only thing they are really doing is SLOWING themselves and other traffic behind them down.

And the loaded truck bits is driving is doing something different?
southy wrote:They may have a right but the right thing to do is get off the highway and let these vehicles including Twobits truck get by.

Why? There are two lanes going in the same direction with the left to be used as a passing lane and the right for slower vehicles which both bits and the cyclist are. It is clearly noted in the MVA that cyclists have the same rights a do other vehicles. What gives bits more rights to the road than the cyclist? Why can't bits do like all the other vehicles and switch into the lane used by faster traffic as the builders of the road intended?
How many times have you been on only a two lane road and part of a long string of traffic stuck behind a slow moving truck who refuses to pull off the road and let traffic pass? I used to commute from Beaverdell to Kelowna and it happened to me almost every time somewhere on Hwy 33. Clearly by your logic all trucks incapable of maintaining the speed limit should be made to move out of the way onto the shoulder or to a special only truck lane?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

cv23 wrote:
Maybe the spandex rider is a professional triathlete? He's riding as training which is part of his paid profession.
Lets take a look at your example. Why should you in your truck who is not capable of maintaining highway speed on a hill and therefore doing the correct thing by driving in the right hand lane have any more right to that right lane than a cyclist who is doing the very same thing? You both are doing the correct thing by letting faster traffic pass you in the left lane but for some misguided reason you think you are more important and have more right to the road than a cyclist. You both have an equal right to the road so just why do you think your rights trump those of the cyclist?

If you don't understand the difference, then there is no help for you. You seem to think that the one thousandth of a percentile of professional triathlete should be able to grind commerce on our hwy's down to their speed? I got news for you. All of this week I have had to deal with spandex butts on the hwy between Penticton, Osoyoos, and Keremeos that were 50 to 70 yrs old. Professional my *bleep*. Entitled road rats is a valid description. All wearing the neon colours of their bike shop.
While I can applaud these seniors in their fitness endeavors, stay the F off the road, pull off and walk where appropriate, in your pursuit of exercise. They are neither commuters or professional athletes. And except for the week or 10 days prior to a major race, 98% of road rats are bike barn social clubs impeding our roadways.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Maybe CV's response was a little soft, so here's one that's to the point.

Those cyclists have as much damned right to be on the road as Twobits (or anybody else). If you have a passing lane, then pass them. If you don't get that - that they have *as much right as you to be there* - then you need to get off the damned road, not them. You're the one who obviously doesn't understand the rules of the road, including the cardinal rule of "share the road".
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

36Drew wrote:Maybe CV's response was a little soft, so here's one that's to the point.

Those cyclists have as much damned right to be on the road as Twobits (or anybody else). If you have a passing lane, then pass them. If you don't get that - that they have *as much right as you to be there* - then you need to get off the damned road, not them. You're the one who obviously doesn't understand the rules of the road, including the cardinal rule of "share the road".

Perhaps my response was a little bit soft. If you can't do more than 30 kph, passing lane or not, observe the rules of the road. Those rules would include penalties for impeding more than 5 vehicles behind you. If road rats would abide by those MVA rules and John Law would enforce them, we might be able to co-exist on the damn hwy's. So far I don't see road rats or John Law playing by the well established MVA rules. Instead, we have a new law that says you can't travel in the left passing lane doing the speed limit and impeding traffic that wants to go faster or you can be ticketed. Seriously.....*bleep* is going on here.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

twobits wrote:Perhaps my response was a little bit soft. If you can't do more than 30 kph, passing lane or not, observe the rules of the road. Those rules would include penalties for impeding more than 5 vehicles behind you.

You're the one who can't seem to observe the rules of the road or live within the spirit of the MVA, and then when called to task you make a complete *bleep* of yourself, making *bleep* up as you go along. Cite the section of the MVA that you suggest would impose those restrictions and penalties. Go ahead. We'll wait. In the meantime, since you can't use the passing lane to pass a slower-moving vehicle that needs 2 meters of room, that would suggest to me that you're unable to properly maintain control of your vehicle on the road. You should probably stop driving before you cause a serious accident.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I wonder how thw vatious TRAFFIC COURTS across the province are interpreting the following ?? Which takes precedence ??

Sec, 145 (1) of the BC Motor Vehicle Act says that;

" A person must not drive a motor vehicle at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(2) If the driver of a motor vehicle is driving at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, a peace officer may require the driver to increase his or her speed, or to remove the motor vehicle from the roadway to the nearest suitable place and to refrain from causing or allowing the motor vehicle to move from that place until directed to do so by a peace officer."

Sec. 183 (1) of the BC motor Vehicle Act says that;

" In addition to the duties imposed by this section, a person operating a cycle on a highway has the same rights and duties as a driver of a vehicle."

NOTE that Sec 145(1) says "motor vehicle" whereas Sec 183(1) says "vehicle".

The problem is compounded by the fact that Municipalities can make additional special rules regarding the movement of cycles within their Municipal Boundaries. The two above sections apply to Provincial Highways outside of Municipal Boundaries.

I would want up to date information before daring to suggest the "obstructing or slowing traffic" as a solution to bicycles using highways. My hat is off to todays traffic officers who can keep updated on such "simple" issues. Espe cially those in a Municipality where the Municipality has imposed their own regulatory by-laws onto the provincial structure.
Last edited by Donald G on Jun 30th, 2015, 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Donald G wrote:I wonder how thw vatious TRAFFIC COURTS across the province are interpreting the following ?? Which takes precedence ??

Sec, 145 (1) of the BC Motor Vehicle Act says that;

" A person must not drive a motor vehicle at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(2) If the driver of a motor vehicle is driving at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, a peace officer may require the driver to increase his or her speed, or to remove the motor vehicle from the roadway to the nearest suitable place and to refrain from causing or allowing the motor vehicle to move from that place until directed to do so by a peace officer."

"motor vehicle" means a vehicle, not run on rails, that is designed to be self propelled or propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but does not include mobile equipment or a motor assisted cycle;

Please tell me where, in S145, the word "cycle" is used.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To drew36 ...

I had to post my comment in two parts to insure that the wordings given were completely accurate as stated in the Motor Vehicle Act. I think that your legitimate question was posted before I had finished adding the contents of 183 (1) which states that " In addition to the duties imposed by this section, a person operating a cycle on a highway has the same rights and duties as a driver of a vehicle".

From there on your guess is as good as mine until clarified by a legal judicial interpretation. I am sure that any number of highway patrol officers could clarify the issue if they happen to be "passing through".
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

twobits wrote:
Perhaps my response was a little bit soft. If you can't do more than 30 kph, passing lane or not, observe the rules of the road. Those rules would include penalties for impeding more than 5 vehicles behind you. If road rats would abide by those MVA rules and John Law would enforce them, we might be able to co-exist on the damn hwy's. So far I don't see road rats or John Law playing by the well established MVA rules. Instead, we have a new law that says you can't travel in the left passing lane doing the speed limit and impeding traffic that wants to go faster or you can be ticketed. Seriously.....*bleep* is going on here.

Maybe one day you will wake up and realize that everything you as a trucker are saying about cyclist is beingy said by automobile drivers about you truckers. We taxpayers are continuously having to spend millions on passing lanes for hills because you big rigs can't maintain speed up even the slightest inclines.
As I said I used to drive Hwy 33 regularly and the truckers don't pull over until there are 30 cars stacked up behind them not 5. Why do you truckers feel so privileged that you seriously believe that others should obey rules which you ignore yourselves? Seriously *bleep* is going on here??????????
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

twobits wrote:All wearing the neon colours of their bike shop.
........ stay the F off the road..........

The majority of all bicycle and motorcycle collisions with motorized vehicles are are a result of the motorized vehicle operator not seeing the cyclist or motorcyclist. Have you ever considered these bright neon color ar being warn as a proactive safety measure?

Let me guess, a Mack, a John Deere baseball cap, chewing tobacco, bathe once a month, Stars n Bars and TCB tattoos, married to your cousin and an 8 track playing the theme from Deliverance is stuck in the truck stereo.
Last edited by cv23 on Jul 1st, 2015, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

cv23 wrote:
Maybe one day you will wake up and realize that everything you as a trucker are saying about cyclist could just as easily said by automobile drivers about you truckers. We taxpayers are continuously spending millions on passing lanes for hills because you big rigs can't maintain speed up hills. As I said I used to drive Hwy 33 regularly and the truckers don't pull over until there are 30 cars stacked up behind them not 5. Why do you truckers feel so privileged that you feel that others should obey rules that you ignore? Seriously *bleep* is going on here??????????
I can't speak for him, however most of us do try and obey the rules.
A lot of mountain roads in BC and other provinces don't provide a lot of areas to safely pull over to allow line ups of traffic by.
It is illegal to drive on the shoulder of the road , and if you choose to and an accident happens as a result of this action that driver can be held at fault.
Also time is money driving truck , most of us are paid by the mile , and we have sensitive time lines in some cases.
Think about this what have you purchase anywhere lately that hasn't at some point been trucked to arrive where you purchased it.!
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
jusme3

Post by jusme3 »

Ok all you cycle enthusiasts get this through your spandex restricted brain cells...Twobits does have more rights to the road than you do because he is driving a licensed registered vehicle. He is also most likely transporting goods that make your life better. What are you contributing? Seriously cyclists, get the !@#$ off the highways!!!
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

dieseluphammerdown wrote:I can't speak for him, however most of us do try and obey the rules.
A lot of mountain roads in BC and other provinces don't provide a lot of areas to safely pull over to allow line ups of traffic by.
It is illegal to drive on the shoulder of the road , and if you choose to and an accident happens as a result of this action that driver can be held at fault.

Fair enough and everyone driving appreciates those like you that understand the rules/courtesies of the road and try to follow them but no one is advocating for your group to be banned from the roads as bits is doing about cyclists. If there is no space to safely pull off just where is a cyclists supposed to pull off to?
dieseluphammerdown wrote:Also time is money driving truck , most of us are paid by the mile , and we have sensitive time lines in some cases.
So you believe unrealistic schedules or the greed to make more money in a specific time should give you special privileges over others you are supposed to be sharing the road with? I guess if someone is late for work and will get docked pay they should be allowed to ignore the rules of the road to get to their destination quickly too?
dieseluphammerdown wrote:Think about this what have you purchase anywhere lately that hasn't at some point been trucked to arrive where you purchased it.!

And almost all of us drove our cars to get those goods to our homes so why shouldn't cars be the most important things on the road?

Its all about sharing the roads and respect for others. Sadly problems exist when some believe they are more important and want special privileges.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

jusme3 wrote:Ok all you cycle enthusiasts get this through your spandex restricted brain cells...Twobits does have more rights to the road than you do because he is driving a licensed registered vehicle. He is also most likely transporting goods that make your life better. What are you contributing? Seriously cyclists, get the !@#$ off the highways!!!

LOL, yet another totally uninformed post obviously made out of ignorance (of the actual laws)

From the MVA:
Rights and duties of operator of cycle - Sec 183(1);Sec 183 Subsection 2 through Subsection 17 as noted to the left;

183 (1) In addition to the duties imposed by this section, a person operating a cycle on a highway has the same rights and duties as a driver of a vehicle.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

cv23 wrote:I can't speak for him, however most of us do try and obey the rules.

[b][b]
Fair enough and everyone driving appreciates those like you that understand the rules/courtesies of the road and try to follow them but no one is advocating for your group to be banned from the roads as bits is doing about cyclists. If there is no space to safely pull off just where is a cyclists supposed to pull off to?
your not seriously suggesting that a bike needs as much room to safely pull over as a semi and trailer are you ?
dieseluphammerdown wrote:Also time is money driving truck , most of us are paid by the mile , and we have sensitive time lines in some cases.
So you believe unrealistic schedules or the greed to make more money in a specific time should give you special privileges over others you are supposed to be sharing the road with? I guess if someone is late for work and will get docked pay they should be allowed to ignore the rules of the road to get to their destination quickly too?
No one should be ignoring the rules of the road, regardless of what their driving the rules are there for everyone.
dieseluphammerdown wrote:Think about this what have you purchase anywhere lately that hasn't at some point been trucked to arrive where you purchased it.!

And almost all of us drove our cars to get those goods to our homes so why shouldn't cars be the most important things on the road?
They shouldn't be , and I never said trucks should be either.
Its all about sharing the roads and respect for others. Sadly problems exist when some believe they are more important and want special privileges.[/quote]Agreed it is all about sharing the road, but one can't expect a fully loaded truck, or like i pull fully loaded super B weighing 63,500 KG to be able to pull hills at or near the posted speed limit, or simply just pull over safely anywhere, like a car or bike can.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45

Return to “North Okanagan”