HWY 33 Fire - Heartland ranch

Fire-related topics
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: HWY 33 Fire - Heartland ranch

Post by binky11 »

I am in downtown Kelowna and it's getting pretty thick with smoke here in the last hour. Hard to tell in the dark how much smoke but can sure smell it throughout the house and on the deck.
Kelownabusinessman
Fledgling

Post by Kelownabusinessman »

binky11 wrote:I am in downtown Kelowna and it's getting pretty thick with smoke here in the last hour. Hard to tell in the dark how much smoke but can sure smell it throughout the house and on the deck.

yup were getting smoked out over here cant even smell the dog fart
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Been a quiet night east of the 33 fire Centre. Last update from hwys was at 2 : 00am and still estimating reopening Hwy 33 around 10:00 am...no smoke around the community hall vicinity and traffic, as expected, has been nil all night. Winds are very mild at the moment.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

RCMP are still turning folks away at Gallagher road. Smoke from that end is reported to be about half of what it was yesterday. RCMP are recommending people who actually MUST get into Joe rich to try using the macCoullgh road access. Sure hope anyone that goes that way is careful out there in the bush. It's super dry out there.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Quailize wrote:The thing that concerns me is that it doesn't appear to be very windy in the fire area yet it still got that big. With 50km wind gusts forecasted tomorrow I think it could've been a lot worse.

I stand corrected, it was very breezy in the area. That was probably the worst spot a fire could occur, lots of homes nestled amongst the trees like that. Hopefully it's a wake up call.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Had a couple of fellas arrive at the farm up in Joe Rich this morning. They came through via McCullough. They said they passed a lot of people camping up there along the way here and a lot of them had campfires going. I sure hope people care SUPER careful!!!!
- Unknown
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Barney Google wrote:Had a couple of fellas arrive at the farm up in Joe Rich this morning. They came through via McCullough. They said they passed a lot of people camping up there along the way here and a lot of them had campfires going. I sure hope people care SUPER careful!!!!

Since there is Province wide ban on camp fires & I believe fireworks. Hopefully receive big fines.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Hi folks. I'm back online - decided to pull my computer back out of my vehicle (I'm ready to tear outta here on a moment's notice, otherwise). I'm at home, here in the middle of the evacuation order zone. I was up until 4AM keeping an eye on the neighbourhood; I know police have roadblocks, but there was no patrols on our street the entire night (not 1 single vehicle came up here between 8PM and 4AM), hence me wanting to stick around in case any idiot looters decided to try their luck up here. So, I spent the night outside on the deck, watching and listening to the goings-on surrounding the fire. I heard what sounded like a car alarm at around 1AM, and possibly a dirt bike at the same time - but it was really far away and hard to tell. Otherwise, just the regular sounds of fire crews rumbling around, etc.

It was nice seeing the smoke steadily decreasing in the bright moonlight. Those guys sounded pretty active around the fire perimeter all night.

Thanks to all who have helped fight this fire, to those who stand watch on the borders, and to all those who have helped out the evacuees (people and animals alike) during this stressful and hectic time.
Your bias suits you.
Star Light
Guru

Post by Star Light »

Woodenhead wrote:Hi folks. I'm back online - decided to pull my computer back out of my vehicle (I'm ready to tear outta here on a moment's notice, otherwise). I'm at home, here in the middle of the evacuation order zone. I was up until 4AM keeping an eye on the neighbourhood; I know police have roadblocks, but there was no patrols on our street the entire night, hence me wanting to stick around in case any idiot looters decided to try their luck up here. So, I spent the night outside on the deck, watching and listening to the goings-on surrounding the fire. It was nice seeing the smoke steadily decreasing in the bright moonlight. Those guys sounded pretty active around the fire perimeter all night.

Thanks to all who have helped fight this fire, to those who stand watch on the borders, and to all those who have helped out the evacuees (people and animals alike) during this stressful and hectic time.

Welcome back Woodenhead.......ta for checking in & letting us know You're okay. *thumbs up*
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Woodenhead wrote:...I'm at home, here in the middle of the evacuation order zone. I was up until 4AM keeping an eye on the neighbourhood; I know police have roadblocks, but there was no patrols on our street the entire night, hence me wanting to stick around in case any idiot looters decided to try their luck up here. So, I spent the night outside on the deck, watching and listening to the goings-on surrounding the fire....

Even though we are out of the Evacuation Order and Alert areas we were up all night doing the same thing as you Woodenhead. Previous evacuations have taught us that looters love to hit areas that are evacuated out.

Echoing Woodenhead's kudos to everyone who have helped out in one way or another!

See that they still have all Evacuation Orders and Alerts in place and will update again around noon. Anyone needs anything from the far end of the Valley please PM...will do whatever we can!
- Unknown
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Barney Google wrote:Previous evacuations have taught us that looters love to hit areas that are evacuated out.

Yep, you know it.

I'll post a few pics in a bit - I didn't take much, as I was too busy packing...
Your bias suits you.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Good luck Woody. Stay safe.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Scadam wrote:Looks like flickin' distance for a cigarette butt...

If it was a cigarette they will find evidence of it. A low intensity grass fire would leave the charred remains of a cig behind.

Post by member »

Barney Google wrote:Had a couple of fellas arrive at the farm up in Joe Rich this morning. They came through via McCullough. They said they passed a lot of people camping up there along the way here and a lot of them had campfires going. I sure hope people care SUPER careful!!!!

I would suggest reporting that as the ban is in effect now.

Post by member »

Woodenhead wrote:Hi folks. I'm back online - decided to pull my computer back out of my vehicle (I'm ready to tear outta here on a moment's notice, otherwise). I'm at home, here in the middle of the evacuation order zone. I was up until 4AM keeping an eye on the neighbourhood; I know police have roadblocks, but there was no patrols on our street the entire night (not 1 single vehicle came up here between 8PM and 4AM), hence me wanting to stick around in case any idiot looters decided to try their luck up here. So, I spent the night outside on the deck, watching and listening to the goings-on surrounding the fire. I heard what sounded like a car alarm at around 1AM, and possibly a dirt bike at the same time - but it was really far away and hard to tell. Otherwise, just the regular sounds of fire crews rumbling around, etc.

It was nice seeing the smoke steadily decreasing in the bright moonlight. Those guys sounded pretty active around the fire perimeter all night.

We did the same thing last night. We just spoke with an rcmp member this morning who was giving us grief for checking on our neighbors place (they are out of town).

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”