HWY 33 Fire - Heartland ranch

Fire-related topics
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: HWY 33 Fire - Heartland ranch

Post by madadam »

Been checking the scanner off and on today, they are still watching the fire guards and knocking down flare ups, still some tree candling in the north east flank of the fire. This is the area they are most aware of and watching.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Hope all is in the mop up stage and that everyone is safe. Will watch the news tonight to see how things are going. Stay safe and careful, Everyone.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Still no planes. A helicopter is circling the area. I'm don't have the knowledge regarding what each different aircraft is specifically (model or exact purpose) or what it's doing exactly. This one is red/yellow with what looks like a large tank on one side. Regardless, it's quiet here with no smoke visible to me. Keep in mind that I have a ridge line between me and the fire, with the wind blowing away from me.
Your bias suits you.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

canuck500 wrote:
I call complete and utter BS on that report. There was, at best, very minimal action on that fire until the huge white house at the very end of Lakeshore was threatened. That's when the water bombers and retardant planes showed up. We joked that the homeowner had to be someone very important to warrant that level of air support.

One of the Bennet clan I believe, told to me by someone who lives in the area (before and after the fire).
taiguy

Post by taiguy »

So can anyone actually confirm the loss of homes at this point?
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

taiguy wrote:So can anyone actually confirm the loss of homes at this point?

haha Ask and ye shall receive!

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-143482-1-.htm#143482

Judging by that, evacuees may not be returning home tonight... :(
Last edited by Woodenhead on Jul 4th, 2015, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your bias suits you.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Sorry about that Woodenhead...please excuse me...didn't mean to interrupt your post on the structure inquiry...
Last edited by Barney Google on Jul 4th, 2015, 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
taiguy

Post by taiguy »

haha Ask and ye shall receive!

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-143482-1-.htm#143482[/quote]

Wow! No kidding!
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Jul 4th, 2015, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#143482

Nice to see a Kelowna councillor telling people in Joe Rich when they can/cannot go home. I would expect, oh, I don't know, someone from RDCO to be the passer of info? Let's let one of the people trying to get rid of RDCO fire chiefs to weigh in, instead of maybe Mrs. Hansen or someone like that.
Edit to add: Looks as if maybe City of Kelowna didn't have fire fighters even there, according to what Ms. Givens says.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Looks like the wind just switched directions is all Woodenhead. No smoke visible from East Kelowna until this afternoon...now it looks like a fair bit again. No large plumes like when it first started, but still a lot of smoke from that direction.

Just drove back from Vernon and it looks like yet another one has started near Lake Country.

*sigh*
squirt10

Post by squirt10 »

Benetts/Stuarts..where is Our (regional district) our insurance last fire went up 78%...
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

...I hope everyone takes a really good look at the photo Joepublic posted earlier:
http://bcwildfire.ca/ftp/!Project/Wildf ... 282%29.jpg
...I hope there's another updated one after they completely contain/extinguish this fire...that photo is an excellent example of how well these men and women perform under what can only be intense conditions in these situations both in the air and on the ground...knowing all too well the number of interface house situations in that area - it's a fantastic job well done that at this point in time no structures have been reported as lost...great coordination of resources and man power - an uphill fire backed by winds in these drought conditions is no easy beast to tame - hats off to you all...to those immediately affected by the evacs - I'm glad your homes and property will be intact to return to...
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

jamapple wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-143482-1-.htm#143482

Nice to see a Kelowna councillor telling people in Joe Rich when they can/cannot go home. I would expect, oh, I don't know, someone from RDCO to be the passer of info? Let's let one of the people trying to get rid of RDCO fire chiefs to weigh in, instead of maybe Mrs. Hansen or someone like that.
Edit to add: Looks as if maybe City of Kelowna didn't have fire fighters even there, according to what Ms. Givens says.

It would be my guess that Ms. Givens was commenting in her capacity as "Chair of the RDCO", not as a City of Kelowna councillor.

Kelowna Coun. Gale Given, chair of the RDCO, said the crews battling the fire come from the Joe Rich, Ellison, Big White and Lake Country fire departments.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

No structures were lost. Size has been reduced to 55 hectares.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”