Is it time to close BC down?

Fire-related topics
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Is it time to close BC down?

Post by Barney Google »

Do you think it's time for the Province to close our provincial parks and campgrounds and limit and or close off access to the back country? Would doing this be 'over reacting' or a 'wise precautionary measure'?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: Is it time to close BC down?

Post by tsayta »

Silly
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Stop tourists from coming to BC for summer holidays ?
Might as well shut down most of the local businesses as well, since they depend on these few months in order to survive.

You can't stop people from camping, visiting our provincial parks...and you sure can't stop people from using the thousands of acres of 'back country'.

Do these places all need to be very closely monitored and patrolled ?
Absolutely.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Farmmaa wrote:Stop tourists from coming to BC for summer holidays ?
Might as well shut down most of the local businesses as well, since they depend on these few months in order to survive.

You can't stop people from camping, visiting our provincial parks...and you sure can't stop people from using the thousands of acres of 'back country'.

Do these places all need to be very closely monitored and patrolled ?
Absolutely.

They sure as H_ll can and have on rare occasions shut down the back country. Its a big undertaking but may be necessary if things get worse.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

They can't. They can try, but there's always ways around it. Shut down the back country today, I'll be hiking in it tomorrow, scot-free.
Your bias suits you.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Went for a walk in one of our local parks last night. witnessed someone smoking, and cigarette buts all over the trail. No I'm not dissin on smokers, just sayin seeing most of the province is in a high, to extreme fire danger rating, maybe the OP is onto something.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I don't think they can really shut down the back country but I think they should be closing any parks that are next to interface areas
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I'm not on one side of this question or the other...i was just asking for opinions and thoughts. When the fire raged through Okanagan in the past the ministry did actually ban access to the back country. I remember forestry roads being cordoned off and people being told not to camp in certain areas. I also recall, in my "Back yard", that people ignored those bans and tore down the barriers and went along their merry way. Yes it would be and was very hard to enforce and monitor but maybe it should be done...or not? The concerns I have are not people like Our dear Woodenhead...who without a doubt is a respectful and savvy backwoods expert...the worries are the dorks that Vinnie has noted
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Attachments
fire risk.jpg
- Unknown
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Barney Google wrote:Do you think it's time for the Province to close our provincial parks and campgrounds

Go down to Vancouver International Airport and watch all the charter flights coming in from overseas during the summer - the majority of those people coming in on those flights are coming here for one reason - to see and explore our great outdoors.
Barney Google wrote: limit and or close off access to the back country?

Seems to be working well in the winter time with snowboarders ;)
Barney Google wrote:Would doing this be 'over reacting' or a 'wise precautionary measure'?

Honestly, it would be economic suicide. The amount of money we'd loose in lost tourism revenue is far greater than what we have to spend in fighting the fires, both human caused and natural fires.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
ohgeeze
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by ohgeeze »

I must be crazy, I thought more people would use their common sense...its dry, its fire season... Could the government not have more conservation officers patrolling the parks, etc? I smoke and I am not afraid to speak my mind if I see some a$$hole flicking a butt of any kind. I'd rather be beaked off at then have a fire start.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

ohgeeze wrote:I must be crazy, I thought more people would use their common sense...its dry, its fire season... Could the government not have more conservation officers patrolling the parks, etc? I smoke and I am not afraid to speak my mind if I see some a$$hole flicking a butt of any kind. I'd rather be beaked off at then have a fire start.

Couldn't agree with you more, Oh Geeze...this past weekend when hwy 33 was closed from both ends family members were able to return to the farm in Joe Rich via McCullough road...in the early morning on their way home they went by a number of campers and every single one of them had campfires going. Collective communal ignoring of Forestry orders and just plain stupidity abounds.

The longer I live the more I come to believe that there is little common in common sense.
- Unknown
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Barney Google wrote:

Couldn't agree with you more, Oh Geeze...this past weekend when hwy 33 was closed from both ends family members were able to return to the farm in Joe Rich via McCullough road...in the early morning on their way home they went by a number of campers and every single one of them had campfires going. Collective communal ignoring of Forestry orders and just plain stupidity abounds.

The longer I live the more I come to believe that there is little common in common sense.
This is why the back country and all non controlled camps spots should be shut down, as far to many campers feel they are either entitled to have a camp fire, or are of the mind set the rules apply to everybody but them.
Yes I know some will argue that the valley needs the revenue created by the tourists , but with the high cost of fighting these fires the bad far out ways the economical gain to a few who depend on the tourists.
AS for the local campers well there are just as many who have the attitude that the bans don't apply to them , so during these hot dry times , the valley offers other things to do then risk the forest and the scenery for a few bad apples who ruin it for all.
** Note this will also keep those god for sake'n smokers out of the back country also**.! :-)
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

I don't think they should close the parks down. Few fires start in camp grounds.
It might be time to shut down all ATVs and motorized bikes in the back country.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Dizzy1 wrote:Honestly, it would be economic suicide. The amount of money we'd loose in lost tourism revenue is far greater than what we have to spend in fighting the fires, both human caused and natural fires.

I sure see your point Dizzy1.

Guess it's cause I live right up next to the bush and only have one exit, for all intents and purposes, to get outta here if I choose to leave, that I pose these questions and ask for everyone's thoughts. I know that some, who are in my position, would question though if the economic suicide you suggest is worth protecting at the cost of people's lives, properties and homes.

What about, as suggested, banning the use of motorized vehicles, ATVs, etc in the back country would be one step to take?
Again, 'policing' all this would be mind boggling, I'm sure

Fire Starters Ignore Ban
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#143649

Again, I'm not for or against any of these questions, at this point, I am interested in hearing what others think.
- Unknown

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”