Saskatchewan

Fire-related topics
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Saskatchewan

Post by Always Sunny »

A girlfriend of mine just called and told me that she got hired on to fight fire in Saskatchewan. We worked together for many years with the Ontario government in wildfire management. I guess the government was looking for qualified people with prior fire fighting experience to come out with the military.

That's just crazy.
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Saskatchewan

Post by Wally »

There's over 13000 people evacuated due to fires in the northern Saskatchewan area.
Going today, hear tommorow
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Saw on the news tonight that they are asking for volunteers off the street. 5 days of training will put you out there to assist the military.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

motorhomebabe wrote:Saw on the news tonight that they are asking for volunteers off the street. 5 days of training will put you out there to assist the military.

I was talking to my dad last night (he also worked in the industry for 20+ years) and he said it had been a long, long time since they hired people like this.

Five days of training to assist the military, when the military themselves were given a "crash course" on fire firing when they arrived to help. It's a bit of a scary thought. The help is certainly needed, but things can change so quickly out there, it's hard not to worry about everyone's safety.
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

They used to pick you up on the street and put you out there with a lot less than five days' training. I think you got a pair of boots and a shovel. Ask any man over 70.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

ShannonG wrote:They used to pick you up on the street and put you out there with a lot less than five days' training. I think you got a pair of boots and a shovel. Ask any man over 70.

A lot has changed as well, especially since those junior rangers died in Ontario in a controlled burn back in the 70's.

They've taken to calling on policy writers with Masters degrees working for the government, over Joe Blow with the steel toe boots down at the local watering hole.

Safer bet.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

They used to pick you up on the street and put you out there with a lot less than five days' training. I think you got a pair of boots and a shovel. Ask any man over 70.

Oh wow, I'm going to have to check my birth certificate and redo the math.

On a more serious note.

I'm also going to have to upgrade my video card if things don't turn around for Sask. soon. I'm pretty sure those few amongst us that really have seen just about everything - haven't seen this. I'll even go so far as to say we may be looking at a game changer in the making.

2015 Sask is going to be subject of a documentary or two - that much I know.
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Jul 8th, 2015, 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

120326_fire.jpg

FDR.jpg
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”