Another Cigarette?

Fire-related topics

Should another tax be levied on cigarettes (and related products) to combat fires?

Yes
51%
No
42%
I don't care
7%

Total votes: 81

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Another Cigarette?

Post by Dizzy1 »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Let's poll this thread and ask of the folks who are the most passionate about fires being caused in any way other than cigarette butts, how many of them smoke?

I say all.

And I say you'd be wrong.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

dieseluphammerdown wrote:]So you admit that anti smokers scorn and abuse people simply because they smoke? NICE, so how does it feel to be part of the bullying crowd?
So which habit is worse smoking and causing harm to one's self? or ganging up on people and bullying them to see things your way when it comes to what should be a personal choice.!! Last time I looked smoking was legal, but the high and mighty anti smoking crowd see's it differently and would rather bully than accept.
Nothing to be ashamed of for being a smoker, but lots to be ashamed of for being a bully.!

bhabhba smokers being bullied, is this the new game plan smokers are taking to justify their habit?

Your right smoking is legal, and your free to enjoy it. What smokers fail to understand is that to non-smokers its unhealthy to those around them, and the odor is repulsive.
If your habit is disruptive and effects others health why should it tolerated, and be considered bullying when your called out on it?
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Gixxer wrote:
bhabhba smokers being bullied, is this the new game plan smokers are taking to justify their habit?

Your right smoking is legal, and your free to enjoy it. What smokers fail to understand is that to non-smokers its unhealthy to those around them, and the odor is repulsive.
If your habit is disruptive and effects others health why should it tolerated, and be considered bullying when your called out on it?
I've stated numerous times that I wander away to have a smoke if people are around , you know to try and be respectful.(respectful now there is a word the anti smoking crowd should try and understand the meaning of}
mex said non smokers abuse and scorn smokers, I used the word bully , you decide which you prefer, abuser or bully?
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dieseluphammerdown wrote:I've stated numerous times that I wander away to have a smoke if people are around , you know to try and be respectful.(respectful now there is a word the anti smoking crowd should try and understand the meaning of

Yet the anti-smokers seem to always have to follow you around just so they can get their chip off their shoulder.

This thread is a perfect example of the attitude some have towards smokers. Pay extra taxes and punish all who partake in a habit even though only some are responsible for irresponsible disposal of their butts instead of addressing the problem as a whole.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Dizzy1 wrote:This is my take on the subject.

Should smokers be taxed? No. First reason being that it punishes the responsible smokers for no justification. Second reason, taxes never seem to go where they are supposed to go.

Should there be a smoking ban in parks while there is a campfire ban? Absolutely. I've seen that done in US Parks as well as in Mediterranean countries and what is fair is fair.

Should punishment for discarding a cigarette and leaving a campfire unattended be higher? Absolutely, in fact I'd go as far as suggesting it carry the same punishment as arson if it were to cause a fire.

You had me with this post but starting to sound defensive again dizzy, time for another swim. ;)
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Poindexter wrote:
You had me with this post but starting to sound defensive again dizzy, time for another swim. ;)

Is there a problem with being defensive against ignorant posts? Gixxer doesn't approve of smoking, his attitude towards smokers has been very apparent since post 4 of this thread.

The thread seems to be going fine until personal grudges towards a habit in general keep popping up instead of limiting it to the offenders who should be dealt with.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Dizzy1 wrote:Is there a problem with being defensive against ignorant posts? Gixxer doesn't approve of smoking, his attitude towards smokers has been very apparent since post 4 of this thread.

The thread seems to be going fine until personal grudges towards a habit in general keep popping up instead of limiting it to the offenders who should be dealt with.

I have a problem with smokers that flick butts out the windows, that start fires costing hundreds of millions of dollars, killing people, and destroying communities.

If that makes me an anti-smoking bully than Ill proudly accept that label. Heck some of my good friends are smokers.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Gixxer wrote:I have a problem with smokers that flick butts out the windows, that start fires costing hundreds of millions of dollars, killing people, and destroying communities.

If that makes me an anti-smoking bully than Ill proudly accept that label.

That doesn't make you an "anti-smoking bully" but statements like this does ...
Gixxer wrote: What smokers fail to understand is that to non-smokers its unhealthy to those around them, and the odor is repulsive.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I think you're being unrealistic if you think the world of non smokers is in as much love with your habit as you are. Let's face it, your love of cigarette over-shadows your health, your appearance, yôur odor, the health of those you smoke around and you're wallet. That's a love affair non smokers neither understand or could care less about until it effects them. Which it does as we've pointed out through the careless discarding of butts which is what this thread is about. When you take into account studies that show that 40 % of all litter is cigarette related and that 65% of all butts end up as litter it not hard to see why some people aren't supportive.

I come by my stance honestly. When my son was about 2 he was sitting in the sand at the beach feet away from me with his little shovel I noticed him chewing on something. Once I deployed the jaws of life to pry his mouth open I saw the entire inside of his mouth was black. Reaching in a pulled out a discarded cigarette with all the toxins it contains now digested by my kid. Does this mean I dislike all smokers, of course not, does it mean I have a physiological response to seeing people irresponsibly discard thier butts, absolutely.

So rather than get defensive with the odd person who shows disdain for your habit, show a little humbleness because we all have reasons, some a lot more serious than mine since many have dead loved ones as a result of the habit. And now that we continue to see smokers flicking butts out windows in drought conditions, it should give you additional reason to be understanding of the odd attack on smoking in general. Is it right or fair since not all smokers are careless, no, but surely even you can see why some people may express thier angst.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

My habit? So by my opinion you're automatically assuming I'm a smoker?
hype14
Fledgling

Post by hype14 »

Perhaps rather than slamming or engaging in personal attacks on each other (as has been regularly proven by several individuals throughout this thread), we should be suggesting ideas how to deal with those who do throw cigarette butts where they don't belong?...

Just a few ideas so far:
1) provide significant fines to individuals who throw cig butts out of their vehicle windows
2) impound vehicle for a short period of time
3) have them charged with arson if indeed they are proven to have caused the fire
4) have them pay for any damage/damages caused as a result of a fire that they started or serve jail time

Never, ever have I have been so disgusted with the written tone of a few individuals on a Castanet thread...I truly feel for the Admin...
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Dizzy1 wrote:My habit? So by my opinion you're automatically assuming I'm a smoker?

Meh. Believe it or not, regardless if this isn't all about you the opinion I expressed is the same. Glad you agreed with the rest. :)
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

toughbeans wrote:Perhaps rather than slamming or engaging in personal attacks on each other (as has been regularly proven by several individuals throughout this thread), we should be suggesting ideas how to deal with those who do throw cigarette butts where they don't belong?...

Just a few ideas so far:
1) provide significant fines to individuals who throw cig butts out of their vehicle windows
2) impound vehicle for a short period of time
3) have them charged with arson if indeed they are proven to have caused the fire
4) have them pay for any damage/damages caused as a result of a fire that they started or serve jail time

Never, ever have I have been so disgusted with the written tone of a few individuals on a Castanet thread...I truly feel for the Admin...

Good stuff.

As for your last sentence... it's actually par for the course here, with a lot of posters. It's all about soapboxing, rather than intelligent discourse. Try to ignore them.
Your bias suits you.
hype14
Fledgling

Post by hype14 »

Woodenhead - as for your comment "As for your last sentence... it's actually par for the course here, with a lot of posters. It's all about soapboxing, rather than intelligent discourse. Try to ignore them."......Oh I most certainly do - no point arguing when someone else is 'always right'...rofl :)
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Arson and/or "setting fire to a substance" requires that the Crown prove that there was an "intent" to cause a fire.

I doubt that even a negligence charge would fly, given the left wing, theoretical thinking of our criminal courts today.

Also, how do you retrieve the exact cigarette that was thrown and conclusively (beyond a reasonable doubt) prove which person in the vehicle discarded the cigarette ?? That too would be required by our criminal courts.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”