Another Cigarette?

Fire-related topics

Should another tax be levied on cigarettes (and related products) to combat fires?

Yes
51%
No
42%
I don't care
7%

Total votes: 81

mexi cali
Guru

Re: Another Cigarette?

Post by mexi cali »

mexicalidreamer wrote:OK Kids. I think we all get the point so let's review, shall we?

We all hate forest fires, yes?
Forest fires can be caused by (choose 1)

A) lightning
B) discarded lit cigarettes
C) untended campfires
D) sunlight shining through or off of reflective materials such as broken glass or ho ho wrappers
E) All of the above

So class, what did we learn today?

Did we learn that all smokers are evil and are the cause of all forest fires?
Did we learn that some campers are also evil and purposely leave their campfires burning even when they aren't there?
Did we learn that mother nature is a hateful *bleep* who routinely starts fires just for fun?

Or did we learn that no matter what the cause of a fire, it can be very dangerous and can cause death and destruction no matter what caused it?

And lastly class, I think we can all agree that if a forest fire was caused by humans for whatever reason, that if that person is caught that they should be murdered. Yes?

Assuming that I am one of the soap boxers, I have quoted myself here in an effort to understand how it is that my input here has been anything other than fair?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To mexicalidreamer ...

You are right but ...

The truth, that often presents two sides of the same story, is not what people who are ruled by emotion and the need to assign exclusive blame, want to hear.

People who can not attack the message attack the messenger.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I like that post, mexicalidreamer. There are many others (or parts of others) I threw in the trash bin. (not necessarily yours or yours alone)

But I don't really care about that whole tangent anyway. I'm not interested in trying to change brickwalled minds on the internet.
Your bias suits you.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Isn't soapboxing about soapboxing a form of soapboxing. ;)
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

LOL ^ So is that!

Hey - if lightning strikes my campfire which I started with a cigarette, and that campfire then starts a forest fire - what's the cause? If I find a very small fire that was started by lightning, and I then proceed to roast a hot dog over it, is that now considered a camp fire?
Your bias suits you.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Woodenhead wrote:LOL ^ So is that!

Hey - if lightning strikes my campfire which I started with a cigarette, and that campfire then starts a forest fire - what's the cause? If I find a very small fire that was started by lightning, and I then proceed to roast a hot dog over it, is that now considered a camp fire?

^^ doesn't matter, I'll come up with a way to judge you harshly either way. ;)
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Your bias suits you.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Fining idiots for stupidity....

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/143833/ ... -stupidity

This should fill the Provincial coffers nicely.

Perhaps they could fine stupid idiots in other sectors of the Province where stupid idiotic actions abound.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Barney Google wrote:Fining idiots for stupidity....

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/143833/ ... -stupidity

This should fill the Provincial coffers nicely.

Perhaps they could fine stupid idiots in other sectors of the Province where stupid idiotic actions abound.

It would.... But they'd have to hire the people to catch the idiots.. And since idiots run this province...

Never mind... It will never work.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

To the idiot on Boucherie Rd today at 4:30 going southbound, in your silver Nissan X-Trail, who threw out your cigarette butt, I have your licence plate and have reported you to the police....I have no patience for your frigging stupidity you a$$hole!
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

prairieflower wrote:To the idiot on Boucherie Rd today at 4:30 going southbound, in your silver Nissan X-Trail, who threw out your cigarette butt, I have your licence plate and have reported you to the police....I have no patience for your frigging stupidity you a$$hole!

WAY TO GO Prairie Flower! That's exactly the kind of thing ALL of us should be doing...get those idiots acting stupidly!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

prairieflower wrote:To the idiot on Boucherie Rd today at 4:30 going southbound, in your silver Nissan X-Trail, who threw out your cigarette butt, I have your licence plate and have reported you to the police....I have no patience for your frigging stupidity you a$$hole!

Yup and smokers on here get offended when i call butt flickers ignorant and brain dead.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Yes, I am a smoker.
Do I wish I wasn't ? Absolutely.
Am I trying to deflect to hide my shame ? Uh...what ?

The title of this thread is...should smokers be taxed to cover the cost of forest fires.

So, unless you can prove that every forest fire in BC right now was caused by a cigarette.....of course people are going to list all of the other options and circumstances in which fires can be caused.

Why on earth should smokers pay more tax if they are one of the vast majority who do NOT throw butts out the window. Every single one of my butts is put into a container in my vehicle that has water in it. Doesn't matter where I'm driving or what time of year it is.
If I smoke outside on my lunch or coffee break....I do not throw my butts on the ground....ever. I dig a hole, remove the end, snub it out extremely well - until it can be touched - and then bury it in the dirt of extra measure. The butt is then placed in my backpack or pocket until I get home.

Smokers are not all careless, inconsiderate, ignorant people...really....and that's where we get our backs up - with the generalizations.
Ignorance and inconsideration have nothing to do with whether or not you smoke.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

Hey! I am a 33-yr-smoker, now quit for almost 4 years, and know all the ins and outs of smoking,etc. I honestly can say that in all my many years of smoking both here and in Alberta, have never, ever thrown a butt out a window...you can yaddah yaddah about smoking and how its hard to quit,etc., but you CAN quit smoking. There is no excuse for someone throwing their butts out the window! Tax the hell out of smokers...they have the resources to quit for free from the govt!!!!!

Everyone should report anyone who throws a smoke out the window of their vehicle!! Those of us who have been evacuated never, ever want to go through another one... Peace out folks, pray for rain :-)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

prairieflower wrote:Hey! I am a 33-yr-smoker, now quit for almost 4 years, and know all the ins and outs of smoking,etc. I honestly can say that in all my many years of smoking both here and in Alberta, have never, ever thrown a butt out a window...

One poster said earlier something to the effect that every smoker has thrown a butt out the window. You didn't, I didn't and I'd say quite a few others haven't. Comes down to respect. Easy to tell who has it and who doesn't.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”