Another Cigarette?

Fire-related topics

Should another tax be levied on cigarettes (and related products) to combat fires?

Yes
51%
No
42%
I don't care
7%

Total votes: 81

Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Another Cigarette?

Post by Farmmaa »

prairieflower wrote:Hey! I am a 33-yr-smoker, now quit for almost 4 years, and know all the ins and outs of smoking,etc. I honestly can say that in all my many years of smoking both here and in Alberta, have never, ever thrown a butt out a window...you can yaddah yaddah about smoking and how its hard to quit,etc., but you CAN quit smoking. There is no excuse for someone throwing their butts out the window! Tax the hell out of smokers...they have the resources to quit for free from the govt!!!!!

Everyone should report anyone who throws a smoke out the window of their vehicle!! Those of us who have been evacuated never, ever want to go through another one... Peace out folks, pray for rain :-)

I haven't seen a single post about the 'yadda yadda of how hard it is to quit smoking'....in fact, I wasn't aware that this was a quit smoking thread.

I also haven't seen one single person say that there is any excuse for anyone, at any time, for any reason, to throw a butt out the car window.

My family were all evacuated during the 2003 fire. Many friends lost homes.
Again, that has nothing to do with smoking or taxes.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

For those who are or say they are considerate smokers, thank you.

I admitted earlier to having thrown butts out my window years ago and that looking back on it makes me sick.

As for taxation on cigarettes specifically for the purpose of off setting fire fighting costs? Why not?

Farmaa and dieseluphammerdown don't like the idea because they consider themselves to not be the problem because of their ideals and for the sake of argument, let's say that it's true.

However, it's tough to use that logic because that simply isn't how taxation is determined (or premiums).

Every one of us who are good drivers pay more for car insurance than we should.

Life insurance too.

I pay more for home owners insurance because of fires like the 2003 disaster and I neither started the fire nor did I contribute to the monumental insurance claims that resulted.

It isn't feasible to try and weed out the good from the bad. It's not even possible.

Hell, ICBC know who the bad drivers are but the overall premium increases are still spread out amongst all.

So how would it be done if the Government decided to add tax to smokes for the reasons we are talking about?

They couldn't and even if they could, they wouldn't because it doesn't make sense.

So; would I be in favor? Yes, even if I still smoked as I said I would also be in favor of a user fee in the back country even though I am not one who would leave a fire for any reason.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jul 10th, 2015, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected posters name.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

How about those that lump the good ATV'ers in with the bad? I always see threads on the KVR or back country and people ragging on ATV'ers and dirt bikers and lumping us good ones in the with the bad.

Guess what? Now we have to have insurance to play around in the back country (effective in November).

So *bleep* for tat?
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

What type of evidence is there to support forest fires are started by cigarettes? Is it just something that people use because they do not have an answer?
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Seriously?
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Sadly, I think he is. :-(
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-143914-48-.htm#143914

Due to extreme fire hazard conditions and under the authority of the Kamloops fire chief, smoking is prohibited in all natural park areas and trails in the city, effective immediately.

These areas include Kenna Cartwright Park, Peterson Creek Park, Kamloops Bike Ranch, Mission Flats Park, Rose Hill Park, Rivers Trail, Valleyview Nature Park, Dallas Barnhartvale Nature Park and West Highlands Park. The public is reminded to exercise extreme vigilance with proper disposal of smoking materials in any area of the city or region.

Despite anticipated improvement in the short-term weather forecast, the fire hazard is not expected to improve, and the smoking prohibition will remain in effect until further notice.

As per City of Kamloops Fire Prevention Bylaw 10-37, violators may be fined a minimum of $500 and, if convicted, may be held responsible for all potential costs incurred for controlling and extinguishing the fire.

Kamloops Fire and Rescue will be monitoring the fire hazard rating on an ongoing basis in co-operation with city parks staff and the B.C. Wildfire Service.

Seriously why is this not a permanent ban? It should be in place everywhere.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Seriously?

Yes...lol....all I am wondering is how they know which ones are started by cigarettes. I am not denying that smokes start forest fires.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Static wrote:
Yes...lol....all I am wondering is how they know which ones are started by cigarettes. I am not denying that smokes start forest fires.

DNA
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Seriously?

Static wrote:Yes...lol....all I am wondering is how they know which ones are started by cigarettes. I am not denying that smokes start forest fires.

...if you take the recent Joe Riche fire as an example - it's pretty easy to see where the ignition point of the fire was - and most fires have a point of ignition identified...any fire investigator would quickly be able to see if remnants of a cigarette were evident, or some other means of ignition...I recall the MccLure fire in Barriere at the same time as our Okanagan Park fire of 2003 was discovered quite early on that it was the result of a discarded cigarette - and turned out to be from a volunteer firefighter if memory serves me correct...
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Walker Stevi Hard to call and report someone throwing our a butt when hour not allowed on a phone while driving. And not to get rude to those who don't smoke but who are you to say for other ppl to stop smoking? Smoking bad for your lungs, drinking bad for your liver, junk food is bad for digestive system, letting a car run while you go in to a store pollutes the air, everyone is guilty of doing somthing that is horrible for there them self or the environment. So please stop Judging other people on there habits. It's rude, uncalled for and unnecessary.

And this is why nothing ever changes.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

Walker Stevi Hard to call and report someone throwing our a butt when hour not allowed on a phone while driving. And not to get rude to those who don't smoke but who are you to say for other ppl to stop smoking? Smoking bad for your lungs, drinking bad for your liver, junk food is bad for digestive system, letting a car run while you go in to a store pollutes the air, everyone is guilty of doing somthing that is horrible for there them self or the environment. So please stop Judging other people on there habits. It's rude, uncalled for and unnecessary.

mexicalidreamer wrote:And this is why nothing ever changes.

...lol - I don't know if that's relevant to post if that's a FB post from the same person I found there with that name - I'm pretty sure they fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down...
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I think taxing cigarettes to support forest fire fighting is a little pushing it. Should we begin to tax gasoline more to help pay for ambulance and firefighting or sugar, fats, and obese people to support the medical system?
Star Light
Guru

Post by Star Light »

Please.........let the fine fit the crime!!! As has been mentioned with camp fires, the cost of setting off a wild fire would very well run into the millions.

Staying on topic.....I'm not for extra tax for all of those who smoke.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/14 ... s-butt-out
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”