Penticton lakeshore concession

sundancer1bc

Penticton lakeshore concession

Post by sundancer1bc »

Does any one know if the concession at lakeshore and power street is opening this year?
livewire
Fledgling

Re: Penticton lakeshore concession

Post by livewire »

I'm surprised the City would allow the new management to be closed - especially on Canada Day. Looks pretty bad.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Did it not have something to do with the demolition of the loco train facade and public safety?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Was The Peach open on July 1st? Just asking, I wasn't there.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
sundancer1bc

Post by sundancer1bc »

I was there around five P.M and it was closed. I haven't seen the one at Power Street open yet, thought maybe the people at the cruise might get hungry or thirsty but I guess they brought their own.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

twobits wrote:Did it not have something to do with the demolition of the loco train facade and public safety?

Yes.

The city did not allow the concession at Power and Lakeshore to open, because there were safety concerns about the locomotive and playground in the back. It was rusty and unsafe and also vandalized.

The city did say as soon as the appropriate repairs and/or removal of the loco were done, the concession would re-open.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

onestop67 wrote:Yes.

The city did not allow the concession at Power and Lakeshore to open, because there were safety concerns about the locomotive and playground in the back. It was rusty and unsafe and also vandalized.

The city did say as soon as the appropriate repairs and/or removal of the loco were done, the concession would re-open.

Incorrect. 'The Train' was a plywood façade on the front of the building that was removed months ago because it was old and starting to deteriorate becoming unsafe. Had nothing to do with the building or the playground. Shortly after it was removed I heard that the owner of the lease between he and the city to run the concessions was for sale so I did look into it. In the lease it said basically the concessions were to be open May to September weather permitting. It was for sale with or without the equipment. Someone else ended up buying it so out of curiosity and a craving for a hot dog I have been down a few times and it has been open. The new owner obviously didn't want the equipment - it's a very empty building. 1 cooler of pop, 4 kinds of packaged ice cream and some chips.

The sunglass guy out front said everybody that comes by is disappointed that there is no longer food or scoop ice cream and sporadic hours.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jul 13th, 2015, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote fixed.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

not bad...Microwaved Hotdog and bread......

I guess the days of actual stuff is gone...you see that everywhere.....cut corners and do it cheap....
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Symbonite wrote:not bad...Microwaved Hotdog and bread......

I guess the days of actual stuff is gone...you see that everywhere.....cut corners and do it cheap....

What does the City expect for a lease rate? Perhaps there were no takers cuz there is just no money in investing in equipment and wages for a six week season.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

livewire wrote:Incorrect. 'The Train' was a plywood façade on the front of the building that was removed months ago because it was old and starting to deteriorate becoming unsafe. Had nothing to do with the building or the playground. Shortly after it was removed I heard that the owner of the lease between he and the city to run the concessions was for sale so I did look into it. In the lease it said basically the concessions were to be open May to September weather permitting. It was for sale with or without the equipment. Someone else ended up buying it so out of curiosity and a craving for a hot dog I have been down a few times and it has been open. The new owner obviously didn't want the equipment - it's a very empty building. 1 cooler of pop, 4 kinds of packaged ice cream and some chips.

The sunglass guy out front said everybody that comes by is disappointed that there is no longer food or scoop ice cream and sporadic hours.

*removed*
http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... eaves-park

The "locomotive" problem was NOT a wood sign on the front. It was a huge structure in the back part. So yes, it was 100% about the playground.

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jul 14th, 2015, 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic and personal insults removed. You know better - STOP now.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

twobits wrote:What does the City expect for a lease rate? Perhaps there were no takers cuz there is just no money in investing in equipment and wages for a six week season.

I don't think there was any investment needed for equipment. Pretty sure the equipment was already there.

I think running it for even a short season can make good money. The only reason it might not, would be because of bad weather.

Not sure if the City wanted a flat rate, or a percentage.
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

LOl! Ok Onestop....It was a huge structure in the back....

As for the lease I tried to explain but let me clarify. There was already a long term prepaid lease in place and the fellow that owned that long term lease was selling the remaining years left. As I said he was selling it with or without the equipment because he owned the equipment as well. Obviously the people that bought it didn't want the equipment.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

livewire wrote:LOl! Ok Onestop....It was a huge structure in the back....

As for the lease I tried to explain but let me clarify. There was already a long term prepaid lease in place and the fellow that owned that long term lease was selling the remaining years left. As I said he was selling it with or without the equipment because he owned the equipment as well. Obviously the people that bought it didn't want the equipment.

That is essentially what I was referring to. Cooked food be it fries, burgers or tube steaks requires food safe practices. That includes refrigeration and freezers and a certain level of sanitation that requires utensil washing equipment and a source of hot water of at least 190 deg F....never mind the cost of operating the grills etc.
Bags of chips, dilly bars, and pop make the operating costs so much less.
It doesn't take much to understand that a gut puck or tube steak ain't gonna cut it when you can cross to the same side of the street as the beach concession stand and have a menu choice of everything from tex mex to Thai to go in minutes. These beach concession stands are from a nostalgic era when Lakeshore Drive was "Motel Row" and not peppered with different food choices. The city would be better off converting the whole building into some nice washroom/change room and shower facilities for the beach crowd. The tourists will appreciate and remember that VS a greasy tube steak or gut puck.

Return to “North Okanagan”