Road Rats in South OK and Similk.

twobits
Guru

Re: Road Rats in South OK and Similk.

Post by twobits »

cv23 wrote:
I'm sure when it comes to why certain things are not allowed on our roadways your MLA can answer your question on a level you can comprehend, either your MLA or a ten yearold.

If a ten yr old can answer the simple question I posed, why can you not? Why is a human powered and friction braked skate board not allowed in the lane of traffic and a bike is? How bout a kick scooter that can easily go 25-30 kph? Quit deflecting and provide a logical answer.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

The determination as to what modes of transportation are legally permitted to operate on our roadways is not made by myself or any other forum member. That decision is made by the government and as previously suggested contacting your MLA, or even MP, should yield you the answer you seek. As a third source of information you may want to try the Ministry of Highways.
Quite frankly I'm a bit shocked that you are now advocating for an even slower mode of transportation, especially on uphill grades, to be permitted on our roads but I guess incessantly ranting about something you will never change hasn't provided enough release for you. Have you considered a hobby?
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

The 58.4-kilometre road bike race from Kelowna to Big White also includes two shorter distances – a 23 km race and a two km hill climb for youth under 17.

All distances end at the village, where riders will be greeted with entertainment, a post-ride barbecue and massages. They'll also receive transport back to Kelowna after the awards ceremony.

“We planned this event to engage the local cycling community in Kelowna and showcase the alpine environment at the finish line in the village at Big White,” said Trevor Hanna, VP of hospitality. “Our event date is also the same as the ‘Queen Stage,’ generally considered to be the hardest day of the Tour de France, so we have tried to embody the ceremony and rituals of the world’s greatest cycling event.”

http://www.castanet.net/news/Sports/144 ... o-the-peak

And the Okanagan Valley host yet another spectacular event for the ever growing cycling community.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

removed. Please try again.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Jul 14th, 2015, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: hostile post removed.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I'm with TwoBits on this. If the bicycles are allowed, then why not roller blades? If it has to be mechanical, why not rocket propelled roller blades? Skateboards too. At least they don't ride 3 wide.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

ToddT wrote:I'm with TwoBits on this. If the bicycles are allowed, then why not roller blades? If it has to be mechanical, why not rocket propelled roller blades? Skateboards too. At least they don't ride 3 wide.

I thought they were allowed
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

It is pretty obvious to anyone that has been on a bicycle, rollerblades, or skateboards that there is a huge difference in the steering and braking of the three activities. It goes without saying that bicycles are much easier to control then the other two. Before someone disputes my statement I admit that there is always the exceptional persons that have great control on blades or on their board but the majority don't and as such don't belong on the road.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I disagree. I'm much more stable with my feet on the ground. Don't speak for some mythical "majority" that you have no idea if it does or doesn't exist. Give yer head a shake.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

He wasn't in traffic, he was in a controlled crosswalk. Not too sure what that has to do with this? But I won't name call. Just would like to know.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I thought it would speak to how easy it is to get seriously injured. It's a smart car of all things.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

danmartin wrote:It is pretty obvious to anyone that has been on a bicycle, rollerblades, or skateboards that there is a huge difference in the steering and braking of the three activities. It goes without saying that bicycles are much easier to control then the other two. Before someone disputes my statement I admit that there is always the exceptional persons that have great control on blades or on their board but the majority don't and as such don't belong on the road.

Have you ever been to a skate board park???? The level of control and braking ability is incontestable. Even the kids riding the side streets demonstrate complete control and the ability to brake to a dead stop in 2 or 3 meters or less. But they are not allowed in a roadway legally. Why, when a bike is?
Just today I had to deal with a group of ten club colored comfort pants on Hwy 3a. Mean age.....68. These guys were so stretched in their capability that not only could they not confine their weaving and wobbling to the shoulder (which was available at the time) they also had to utilize the entire right hand lane and part of the passing lane at times.
Enough already. We need new laws that define the rights of cyclists on hwy's. Those laws would also clearly establish what their obligations to other traffic on the road. What has instead happened is a right to road lane with respect to motoring traffic has become a dominant right that usurps all traffic on the road with the exception of a pedestrian. That is also suspect when viewing riding behavior on a legal crosswalk. Ya, cake and eat it too. Just like a rat.

cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

twobits wrote:Enough already. We need new laws that define the rights of cyclists on hwy's. Those laws would also clearly establish what their obligations to other traffic on the road.

Donald G wrote:Rights and duties of operator of a cycle ... which includes bicycle and tricycles

Rights and duties of operator of cycle - Sec 183(1);Sec 183 Subsection 2 through Subsection 17 as noted to the left;

183 (1) In addition to the duties imposed by this section, a person operating a cycle on a highway has the same rights and duties as a driver of a vehicle.

(2) A person operating a cycle
(a) must not ride on a sidewalk unless authorized by a bylaw made under section 124 or unless otherwise directed by a sign,
(b) must not, for the purpose of crossing a highway, ride on a crosswalk unless authorized to do so by a bylaw made under section 124 or unless otherwise directed by a sign,
(c) must, subject to paragraph (a), ride as near as practicable to the right side of the highway,
(d) must not ride abreast of another person operating a cycle on the roadway,
(e) must keep at least one hand on the handlebars,
(f) must not ride other than on or astride a regular seat of the cycle,
(g) must not use the cycle to carry more persons at one time than the number for which it is designed and equipped, and
(h) must not ride a cycle on a highway where signs prohibit their use.
(3) Nothing in subsection (2) (c) requires a person to ride a cycle on any part of a highway that is not paved.
(4) Despite section 165, a person operating a cycle who intends to turn it to the left at an intersection where there is more than one lane from which left turns are permitted must
(a) cause the cycle to approach the intersection in the lane closest to the right side of the highway from which a left turn is permitted,
(b) keep the cycle to the right of the line that divides the lane referred to in paragraph (a) from the lane immediately to the left of that lane,
(c) after entering the intersection, turn the cycle to the left so that it will leave the intersection to the right of the line referred to in paragraph (b), and
(d) when practicable, turn the cycle in the portion of the intersection to the left of the centre of the intersection.
(5) A person must not ride a cycle, skate board, roller skates, in-line roller skates, sled, play vehicle or other similar means of conveyance when it is attached by the arm and hand of the rider or otherwise to a vehicle on a highway.
(6) A cycle operated on a highway between 1/2 hour after sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise must have the following equipment:
(a) a lighted lamp mounted on the front and under normal atmospheric conditions capable of displaying a white light visible at least 150 m in the direction the cycle is pointed;
(b) a red reflector of a make or design approved by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia for the purposes of this section;
(c) a lighted lamp, mounted and visible to the rear, displaying a red light.
(7) Despite any other provision of this Act or the regulations, a cycle may be equipped with a flashing red light that is of a make or design approved by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia for the purposes of this section.
(8) A cycle operated on a highway must be equipped with a brake that will enable the person operating the cycle to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level and clean pavement.
(9) If an accident occurs by which a person or property is injured, directly or indirectly, owing to the presence or operation of a cycle on a highway or a sidewalk, the person in charge of the cycle must
(a) remain at or immediately return to the scene of the accident,
(b) render all possible assistance, and
(c) give to anyone sustaining loss or injury his or her name and address and the name and address of the owner of the cycle, and if the cycle has been licensed and registered, the licence or registration number of the cycle.
(10-13) [Repealed 2008-42-83.]
(14) A person must not operate a cycle
(a) on a highway without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway, or
(b) on a sidewalk without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the sidewalk.
(15) If a person is convicted of an offence under this Act in respect of his or her riding or operating a cycle, the court may, in addition to or in place of any penalty otherwise prescribed, order the cycle seized, and on the expiry of that period the person entitled to it may again have possession of the cycle.
(16) For the purpose of seizing and impounding a cycle under an order made under subsection (15), a peace officer may enter any place or building in which the cycle is located.
(17) A person operating a cycle on a highway must signify
(a) a left turn by extending the person's left hand and arm horizontally from the cycle,
(b) a right turn by doing either of the following:
(i) extending the person's left hand and arm out and upward from the cycle so that the upper and lower parts of the arm are at right angles;
(ii) extending the person's right hand and arm horizontally from the cycle, and
(c) a stop or decrease in speed by extending the person's left hand and arm out and down from the cycle.

It appears we already have very well defined laws regarding rights and duties regarding cycling.
We have similar well defined laws regarding the operation of motor vehicles too but as we all know not everyone obeys the laws all the time. The issue is not the laws themselves but the lack of enforcement by the police.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

ToddT wrote:I disagree. I'm much more stable with my feet on the ground. Don't speak for some mythical "majority" that you have no idea if it does or doesn't exist. Give yer head a shake.

What are you talking about? In all three of these activities your feet are not on the ground but at least on a bicycle you likely have decent brakes and steering capabilities that even children can manage. Have a look at all the safety gear that 'boarders' and 'skaters' need to protect themselves from falls they receive just getting around. This is especially true when they aren't "experts". Can you imagine the carnage if they were allowed to mix it up in traffic.

In answer to 'twobits' question about me being to a skateboard park the answer is yes. I have acknowledged that some people develop incredible skills but that takes a lot of practice and athletic ability. I have also watched weekend warriors on boards and skates while I lived in Whistler. They crash all over the place on the designated trails that they are allowed on. I know that the emergency wards are kept busy with broken bones, road rash and concussions from these people's falls and collisions. I can't imagine what would happen if they were on the streets trying to avoid vehicle collisions except that funeral homes would be busy. And yes cyclists are now being forced to wear helmets if on the road but that is to mostly protect them from vehicle collisions which is dangerous enough for a much more controllable activity.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

What boggles my mind and defies logic every time for me is that these cyclists believe that their rights supersede the rules which supersede their safety. It's like saying "I know what I am doing is unsafe and endangering my life, but if I get hit and become brain dead for the rest of my life it's ok because at least it wasn't my fault."

Return to “North Okanagan”