Firefighting Budget

Fire-related topics
jamapple
Übergod

Firefighting Budget

Post by jamapple »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#142746

July and August haven't even arrived yet!
jamapple
Übergod

Re: Firefighting Budget

Post by jamapple »

So, 1847 fires last year, 500 so far this year, and spent 55mil of 63 mil budget. That's less than 1/3 of the annual fires so far, and yet more than 2/3 of the budget is spent?
They even say it sometimes doubles or triples, so why not just budget more for fighting these, or spend the money working on eliminating some of the fuel source in the forests like it looked like you were starting to do last year?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

jamapple wrote:So, 1847 fires last year, 500 so far this year, and spent 55mil of 63 mil budget. That's less than 1/3 of the annual fires so far, and yet more than 2/3 of the budget is spent?
They even say it sometimes doubles or triples, so why not just budget more for fighting these, or spend the money working on eliminating some of the fuel source in the forests like it looked like you were starting to do last year?

The $63 million budget seems really low, and totally ridiculous because the average over the past 10 years is $159 million.

Moneycountnumbercount.png

moneycountareacount.png

firecountareacount.png
Last edited by Glacier on Jun 24th, 2015, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Well they give it a low budget so they can 'balance' the budget and make themselves look good knowing full well it isn't enough. Then, when the fire season arrives they talk about how bad it is this year and fork over the money.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Christie up to her old tricks again. Maybe she can blame it on the teachers!
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Being involved in many of the valley fires the governments answer to put out fires is to throw money on it. The only thing that stops large fires is mother natures rain. To be honest , they don't want noninterface fires to go out. It is thier bread and butter for the year.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

I might be wrong but regardless of the budget their still going to fight the fires. We get the same thing every year with snow removal in Edmonton. If we have a lot of snow their quick to say the budget is used up by January......but low and behold they still clean the streets the rest of the winter....as they will keep fighting fires the rest of this summer. Not even sure why they mention the budgets.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

vegas1500 wrote:I might be wrong but regardless of the budget their still going to fight the fires. We get the same thing every year with snow removal in Edmonton. If we have a lot of snow their quick to say the budget is used up by January......but low and behold they still clean the streets the rest of the winter....as they will keep fighting fires the rest of this summer. Not even sure why they mention the budgets.

Exactly, fire fighting is just something that needs to be done. Be it a few during the season or many / 1 hectare or thousands.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

BEAUTIFUL:

near LaRonge Sk..jpg

Somewhere near LaRonge Sk.

...livin' the dream!
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

kinda reminds me of a a10 letting loose in the west bank :)
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

SawnTalbot Fire Photo.jpg
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

sobrohusfat wrote:BEAUTIFUL:

near LaRonge Sk..jpg

Somewhere near LaRonge Sk.

...livin' the dream!

Nowhere near La Ronge, Sk.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Her plan is pretty simple, budget low, if you run out go to the Feds for more money. Her books look good and the media circus will feed her ego.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I was referring to the water bomber picture captioned "near LaRonge Sk"

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”