Public engagement

DblDwn11
Fledgling

Public engagement

Post by DblDwn11 »

Watching with interest (and sometimes mild rage) the protest of the new Skaha project.

Where was this level of public engagement during the election cycle and at the polling stations? I think it's great to see the passion people feel for their community. If it carried through to election day, maybe the turn-out would be closer to 80%, instead of the paltry 31% that showed up last year.

Whatever side of this issue you find yourself on, did you vote in the last municipal election?

If not, why?
ToddT
Übergod

Re: Public engagement

Post by ToddT »

Those who know it the least, tend to know it the loudest.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

DblDwn11 wrote:Watching with interest (and sometimes mild rage) the protest of the new Skaha project.

Where was this level of public engagement during the election cycle and at the polling stations? I think it's great to see the passion people feel for their community. If it carried through to election day, maybe the turn-out would be closer to 80%, instead of the paltry 31% that showed up last year.

Whatever side of this issue you find yourself on, did you vote in the last municipal election?

If not, why?

DblDwn11, which Skaha project are you referring to? Yorkton/Skaha Lk Rd or the Water slides? Two separate issues. Slightly off topic but since you are here, can you answer this one please? I noticed that the City of Penticton equipment and crews have been working on cleaning up Airport beach the past two days. Didn't the PIB take that back under their umbrella? What gives? Hopefully, PIB didnt have to hire City crews to do the work; when there must be Band members ready and willing to do the work.
DblDwn11
Fledgling

Post by DblDwn11 »

XT225 wrote:DblDwn11, which Skaha project are you referring to? Yorkton/Skaha Lk Rd or the Water slides? Two separate issues. Slightly off topic but since you are here, can you answer this one please? I noticed that the City of Penticton equipment and crews have been working on cleaning up Airport beach the past two days. Didn't the PIB take that back under their umbrella? What gives? Hopefully, PIB didnt have to hire City crews to do the work; when there must be Band members ready and willing to do the work.

I was referring to the Trio proposal -- the other project is one private land and therefore should move ahead with little or no logical protest.

As for the work on Airport beach, I have no clue. Perhaps the locatee had second thoughts about taking back that portion of beach and re-upped with the city. As long as those disgusting weeds get looked after, I'm on board.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

DblDwn11 wrote:I was referring to the Trio proposal -- the other project is one private land and therefore should move ahead with little or no logical protest.

As for the work on Airport beach, I have no clue. Perhaps the locatee had second thoughts about taking back that portion of beach and re-upped with the city. As long as those disgusting weeds get looked after, I'm on board.

Ok on the Trio deal. I happen to agree with the slides but wonder why the PIB couldn't work out a deal for the lands across from Green Ave (especially since there are no announced tenants as yet). No need to take up trees and parkland for a slide when other lands are empty and waiting. Plus the site would be far more visible right off the highway. ETA: I thought that way back, Dawnland, you stated that the Locatee had big plans for airport beach? I doubt that the city would disclose what recent agreement made them send in their own crews to clean it up. Whats next? The river channel pathway? City doesnt own that either. Something doesnt add up at all. The public needs to engage themselves and dig for answers. Good luck on that one considering the city's record on transparency..or lack of.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

XT, the city also provides fire service at a charge of $200,000 per year, regardless of any service given. Don't think PIB is getting anything from the city for free. I would think that the city being paid for services would be a good thing and not something for you to throw shade at.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

XT225 wrote:DblDwn11, which Skaha project are you referring to? Yorkton/Skaha Lk Rd or the Water slides? Two separate issues. Slightly off topic but since you are here, can you answer this one please?
I noticed that the City of Penticton equipment and crews have been working on cleaning up Airport beach the past two days. Didn't the PIB take that back under their umbrella? What gives? Hopefully, PIB didnt have to hire City crews to do the work; when there must be Band members ready and willing to do the work.

Is that the beach near the business owned by one of the City councillors?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Dawnland wrote:XT, the city also provides fire service at a charge of $200,000 per year, regardless of any service given. Don't think PIB is getting anything from the city for free. I would think that the city being paid for services would be a good thing and not something for you to throw shade at.

Ok, Dawnland, if PIB (or the locatee) is paying the city for services rendered, no problem. However, that surprises me that whoever owns the land would not hire their OWN people to do the work. I would think that would tick off the PIB band members who may be able and willing to do the work (and perhaps cheaper).

ETA: Anonymous123 - yes that is the beach just to the East of the Barefoot. Are you suggesting something there re Mad Max? (lol).
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

XT, how 'bout you ask the owners of several businesses in this very city, why they choose temporary foreign workers rather than your own residents? If we're paying the city $200000 for signing a piece of paper, you can bet your bottom dollar that those city workers were paid for picking up trash. We have a capable fire crew and equipment, but to get the proper insurance coverage for our new developments, we needed to have an agreement for fire suppression, even if the city services don't lift a finger. So if there was going to be something for our member's to complain about, it would be that, rather than a 40 hour contract for garbage service.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Dawnland wrote:XT, how 'bout you ask the owners of several businesses in this very city, why they choose temporary foreign workers rather than your own residents? If we're paying the city $200000 for signing a piece of paper, you can bet your bottom dollar that those city workers were paid for picking up trash. We have a capable fire crew and equipment, but to get the proper insurance coverage for our new developments, we needed to have an agreement for fire suppression, even if the city services don't lift a finger. So if there was going to be something for our member's to complain about, it would be that, rather than a 40 hour contract for garbage service.

I believe that the reason that the businesses SAY that they have to use TFW's is because they can't find local people willing to work for those wages. At least that's what they claim. I would think that the unemployment rate on the Reserve is high enough that there WOULD be folks willing to work, even for a short term job like cleaning up the beach. If the Locatee who owns it TRIED and could not find any PIB members willing to work, then fine but if there was no effort made, that's as bad as hiring TFW's without trying to get local people. ETA: I usually boycott any place that I suspect is using TFW's; at least in the Summer when school is out and kids are looking for work.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Good question XT. Why were there not PIB students on that beach doing cleanup? Good summer job I would think. Or is it all about where the funding comes from? If the PIB paid for city workers to do the job, what the hades is going on with the PIB Admin. That beach had become an absolute embarrassment as an entry point to the city. Their answer is that we cannot control what locatee owners choose to do and in the next press release tout the benefits that the bridge to nowhere for locatee lands will bring to Penticton.
*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jul 27th, 2015, 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Dawnland wrote:XT, the city also provides fire service at a charge of $200,000 per year, regardless of any service given. Don't think PIB is getting anything from the city for free. I would think that the city being paid for services would be a good thing and not something for you to throw shade at.

XT225 wrote:Ok, Dawnland, if PIB (or the locatee) is paying the city for services rendered, no problem. However, that surprises me that whoever owns the land would not hire their OWN people to do the work. I would think that would tick off the PIB band members who may be able and willing to do the work (and perhaps cheaper).

ETA: Anonymous123 - yes that is the beach just to the East of the Barefoot. Are you suggesting something there re Mad Max? (lol).

I'd bet that there was some discussion as to the fact that a councillor had a business nearby, so in effect, yes that is the suggestion.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

*removed*
As far as the deals that are in place regarding the garbage clean-up or lease agreements with locatee owners, I don't have a flipping clue. Do I care at this moment? Hell NO. Do you know why? Basically, like your own civil politics, the side deals and hand shake contracts are not going to be publicized and the locatee owners have absolutely NO obligation to announce or be accountable to either community for their choices. (*Thanks for that too Canadian Government; that was another bullcrap move) Maybe the owner struck a deal with the city? Maybe a city resident has that property in their lease agreement? Maybe to suck up some city dollars, a 'safety' assessment found that it was necessary to clean the beach? Here's a suggestion, call PIB Ec Dev tomorrow morning and find out for yourself. Just so you don't appear biased, then call the City of Penticton and ask them the same question. Dimes to dollars, you'll get two different answers, then come back on here, get on your privileged soapbox and enlighten us on all the info you've found out.
I've been stewing on other matters involving our elected bodies and am not impressed. So, I'm not standing up for either, but I'm not going to come here and listen to some 'forked tongue' comment. Rename the thread, slamming the neighbors to deflect from the crap we're living in.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jul 27th, 2015, 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reply to removed post.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

So, for those of you wondering if 2bits called PIB or the city to find out about the crews picking up garbage, I called.
The City and the locatee owner couldn't come to an access and use agreement until just recently. Now the city maintains and the public enjoys.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Dawnland wrote:So, for those of you wondering if 2bits called PIB or the city to find out about the crews picking up garbage, I called.
The City and the locatee owner couldn't come to an access and use agreement until just recently. Now the city maintains and the public enjoys.

Ya so what. The locatee owner was on record as saying the public was still free to use airport beach. So was the owners reason for ignoring overfilled and tipped over garbage cans, line of high water mark garbage, the broken tree branches, and acres of noxious weed growth his/her negotiating position to extract more taypayer money? I think not.
I remember quite clearly from multiple media reports that the locatee owners "had other plans" for the property and that was the reason for not renewing the airport beach lease.
My grapevine tells me a different story of dreamed riches that were going to cascade down upon the head of this locatee owner from Buststock and and no shoes resort. I didn't see either one of them out there picking up garbage, pulling weeds or cleaning the sand. Did I miss them? No, I don't think we did. This is more a case of a locatee missing lease cheques and realizing the fast talkers were not going to butter the bread. Back to plan A.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “North Okanagan”