Dear local pastor...

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
bornhere63
Fledgling

Dear local pastor...

Post by bornhere63 »

When did you last plan a sermon by first sitting in a pew for awhile?
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Re: Dear local pastor...

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Who cares? For the most part, they go online to their pastor forums/mailing lists and recycle old material that is on point with whatever ideology their particular church is spouting. It's just a job, nothing more, nothing less.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I think they call them pews because they stink?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
bornhere63
Fledgling

Post by bornhere63 »

When was the last time you had coffee with and mentored a small group leader?
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

What's your point??
You and 71 others Like this post
bornhere63
Fledgling

Post by bornhere63 »

I was just hoping local pastors were checking in and we could give them ideas to build community. Remembering the good old days. I just have questions. Not all looking for trolls, so planning to ignore those.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Ok, well I hope you aren't considering me a troll, but you start an extremely vague thread, throw out vague questions, and expect it to be magically delivered to whomever you intended........a bit weird.
Perhaps you may want to be a bit more direct in what you are asking or wanting to achieve if you are really expecting to have the positive response that you claim.

And what are the good old days that you refer to?
You and 71 others Like this post
bornhere63
Fledgling

Post by bornhere63 »

Magic, no.
Whomever - local pastors looking at the spirituality thread on Castanet.
Hope to achieve: pastors revisiting for themselves and their congregations what it means to be a pastor.

The good old days: a long time ago, when pastors visited "the least of [their congregants]" in their homes, or in the hospital, or greeted them at the door before and after church, often by name, or met with the Sunday school teachers and small group leaders to develop church wide goals, or to mentor and encourage them in their ministries, or profile the congregation to see what group of the population is missing and wonder why, or taught from a dustier book in the Bible (some of them don't get a lot of action in modern sermons), or had Christmas services on Christmas day, because it isn't always about the children, or attended a youth event as a participant rather than a leader. Or other things.

There are lots of things pastors used to do that were considered shepherdly. I imagine, like many of us, they too get bogged down by administrative tasks and sometimes wonder what would refresh their pastoral hearts. Are they finding green pastures and still waters for the people in their care? Are they teaching them how to recognize and value the rod and the staff? Do they have favourite sheep? What are they doing about the black ones? Stuff like that.

But maybe they aren't even looking at the spiritual threads on their local city homepage, in which case I am wasting my time. But just in case one is, just one, I wanted to ask. One bite-sized question at a time.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

^^^^^ those days are long gone decades ago. I'm sure if you have $$$$$ you can get a personal visit today.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

A lot of that still happens, at least in my church it does.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

JayByrd wrote:A lot of that still happens, at least in my church it does.

That's nice to hear. That would include help for people who don't give money to the church but just attend sometimes?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

That's nice to hear. That would include help for people who don't give money to the church but just attend sometimes?[/quote]

I'm not sure how they'd even know who contributes money and who doesn't. Those who can afford to give so much that it would get noticed would probably never need help. I don't think they track attendance either. But, they do toys for underpriviledged kids at Christmas, as well as winter clothing for the poor during winter months. They fund a men's recovery/transition house, and several similar initiatives. There will always be those who say that's not enough, of course.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”