Water cistern/rain collection

rustle

Water cistern/rain collection

Post by rustle »

Hi,

I'm living in Vernon and I am trying to find some resources on cisterns and rain collection. I have not found any municipal by-laws about having rain barrels or cisterns buried in the ground. Has anyone else here done anything similar?

Thanks
twobits
Guru

Re: Water cistern/rain collection

Post by twobits »

rustle wrote:Hi,

I'm living in Vernon and I am trying to find some resources on cisterns and rain collection. I have not found any municipal by-laws about having rain barrels or cisterns buried in the ground. Has anyone else here done anything similar?

Thanks

That's a really good question considering the current drought designation. Without any research I would think that any number of above ground barrels would be legal. Especially since you are just catching rainwater from your roof as opposed to filling from domestic pressurized water systems. As would be the palatalized 4x4x4 ft plastic totes that are free for the asking if you know where to ask. Each one of those would hold about 350 US gallons.

As to tanks buried in the ground....I would call the local building dept and ask. I suspect that "underground" sets off alarm bells that would require an expensive exercise in engineered design and construction.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

That's a really good question considering the current drought designation. Without any research I would think that any number of above ground barrels would be legal. Especially since you are just catching rainwater from your roof as opposed to filling from domestic pressurized water systems. As would be the palatalized 4x4x4 ft plastic totes that are free for the asking if you know where to ask. Each one of those would hold about 350 US gallons.

As to tanks buried in the ground....I would call the local building dept and ask. I suspect that "underground" sets off alarm bells that would require an expensive exercise in engineered design and construction.

I used to have 4 of the 1000 liter totes around my house. In a good downpour, I could,get 4000 liters of water in 10-15 minutes easy. I the had a small pump to run a sprinkler...worked great!
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 13th, 2015, 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote fixed.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Rain barrels are so useless I'm thinking of getting rid of them. For example, as you all know, we've already had 31.2 mm of rain this month. I only collect rain off my shed (roof is about 400 sq. ft.). Just from this one shed, it only takes 8 mm to fill a barrel, and I only have two barrels, and one I use to collect water off the porch.

I would need 4 barrels to collect just the 9 days worth of rain! If I were to collect from my house, it would only take 1.5 mm to fill a barrel, and I'd need 21 barrels to collect 9 days worth of rain.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Glacier wrote:Rain barrels are so useless I'm thinking of getting rid of them. For example, as you all know, we've already had 31.2 mm of rain this month. I only collect rain off my shed (roof is about 400 sq. ft.). Just from this one shed, it only takes 8 mm to fill a barrel, and I only have two barrels, and one I use to collect water off the porch.

I would need 4 barrels to collect just the 9 days worth of rain! If I were to collect from my house, it would only take 1.5 mm to fill a barrel, and I'd need 21 barrels to collect 9 days worth of rain.

News Flash: You don't have to collect all the rain that falls on your shed just because you have rain barrels.
Every little bit helps to conserve the water that is provided through your water purveyor, whether you pay a flat rate or a per-usage rate.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Wow...and WE thought that our Government was bad...look at whats happening in some U.S. states. Hard to believe. Next thing you know, Big Brother will claim that they own the clouds and Sun. Be thankful we live in a semi-free country so far.

http://www.naturalnews.com/029286_rainw ... water.html

Return to “North Okanagan”