Rock Creek Wildfire

Fire-related topics
Bretbaby
Übergod

Re: Rock Creek Wildfire

Post by Bretbaby »

MoparPrincess wrote:They must have meant 3.5 hectares, its at 4.1 according to wildfire bc website

Can you share a link?

Everything I'm reading is 350, but who knows...
TDogg80
Fledgling

Post by TDogg80 »

They just confirmed on Global BC that it is at 350 Hectares.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Bretbaby wrote:
Can you share a link?

Everything I'm reading is 350, but who knows...

http://apps.gov.bc.ca/pub/dmf-viewer/?s ... 2955244847
This is a link to the interactive map. Zoom in and click on the rock creek fire. It will give you the information on the fire as they update it. but as of right now, still says 4.1

N60584

Date of discovery: 00:00:00 08/13/2015
Suspected Cause: Person
Approximate Location: West of Rock Creek
Estimated Size: 4.1 HA
Fire Status: New
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

The BC Wildfire Service is the source of the fire stats:
http://bcwildfire.ca/hprScripts/Wildfir ... asp?ID=569
They estimate it at 350 hectares
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

vinnied wrote:http://apps.gov.bc.ca/pub/dmf-viewer/?s ... 2955244847
This is a link to the interactive map. Zoom in and click on the rock creek fire. It will give you the information on the fire as they update it. but as of right now, still says 4.1

N60584

Date of discovery: 00:00:00 08/13/2015
Suspected Cause: Person
Approximate Location: West of Rock Creek
Estimated Size: 4.1 HA
Fire Status: New

Thank you!
Braveheart1314

Post by Braveheart1314 »

Jeez, this is scary. Being a Scots outsider looking in, but with Canadian relatives and friends, this disturbs me as I know it does all of you. Maybe a stupid question but when people provide camp sites such as this in BC or other parts of your country shouldnt they be made to provide a fire-safe shelter on ground. I'm sure they could provide a bunker of sorts that has safe haven for a day or more until they can be reached or at least a chance of being reached?
Last edited by Braveheart1314 on Aug 13th, 2015, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjc

Post by tjc »

• Choose another wildfire of note

West of Rock Creek (N60584)

Last updated: Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 5:08 PM

• See approximate location of this wildfire on a Mapquest map.
• View an interactive map of all active Wildfires of Note.

Discovered: Thursday, August 13, 2015

Size: 350.0 hectares (estimated)

• 0% contained
The BC Wildfire Service and local fire departments are responding to a rapidly growing wildfire near Rock Creek.

Both Highway 3 and 33 have been closed. Please check DriveBC for further details.

Interface: Interface Interface Fire
Evacuation Order is in effect.

Evacuation Alerts and Orders are being put in place by the Regional District of Kootenay Boundary. Find info here: http://www.rdkb.com/

No further details available at this time.

Cause: Under Investigation

Resources
Firefighters, airtankers and helicopters are currently responding and additional resources and personnel are en route.

Map & Photos: There are no maps or photos available for this fire.

Links for more information about fires in general

EmergencyInfoBC Online source for emergency alerts about natural disasters and provider of public education and preparedness information.
DriveBC Road conditions and closures
BC Air Quality The Air Quality Health Index is a health protection tool that is designed to help you make decisions to protect your health by limiting short-term exposure to air pollution and adjusting your activity levels during increased levels of air pollution.
Interior Health During a forest fire, be aware of health risks associated with exposure to smoke, food safety in power outages, and water quality.
Fire cache age: 8/13/2015 5:28:32 PM - 187 of 300 seconds.
Link cache age: 8/13/2015 5:08:23 PM - 1396 of 1800 seconds.
Star Light
Guru

Post by Star Light »

Braveheart1314 wrote:Jeez, this is scary. Being a Scots outsider looking in, but with Canadian relatives and friends, this disturbs me as I know it does all of you. Maybe a stupid question but when people provide camp sites such as this in BC or other parts of your country shouldnt they be made to provide a fire-safe shelter on ground. I'm sure they could provide a bunker of sorts that has safe haven for a day or more until they can be reached or at least a chance of being reached?

Good question indeed Braveheart1314.......aye this is scary all round, wishing for the best possible outcome which is all we can can do at this moment.
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

great idea , but will never happen from govt.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

Braveheart1314 wrote:Jeez, this is scary. Being a Scots outsider looking in, but with Canadian relatives and friends, this disturbs me as I know it does all of you. Maybe a stupid question but when people provide camp sites such as this in BC or other parts of your country shouldnt they be made to provide a fire-safe shelter on ground. I'm sure they could provide a bunker of sorts that has safe haven for a day or more until they can be reached or at least a chance of being reached?

this sounds like a firey grave to me
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

i hope everyone is ok and the bridge doesn't burn down.i have been going to this campground for over 20 years. we used to go back in the mines across the creek when i was a teenager.it is one of the best campgrounds around our area and it is very well kept.
Lazarus
Fledgling

Post by Lazarus »

I drove right past the fire on Highway 3 a couple of hours ago before they closed the highways and it was already really bad then. It was burning extensively and aggressively right beside the highway on the north side of the hairpin with a second smaller aggressive grass fire again immediately beside the highway about 3/4 of the way up the hill from the hairpin. I saw one fixed-wing aircraft flying around but there were no visible firefighters on scene when I went through - just some locals with rakes and such and a small tank truck and some hoses. Significant burning and smoke though from both fires. The temperature was 39 degrees at the time with strong gusty winds. Terribly dangerous conditions overall. There was also another pretty significant smoke column that appeared to be just south of the border between Bridesville and Osoyoos and the wind appeared to be blowing it north so there may be another significant issue in the area soon as well.
Last edited by Lazarus on Aug 13th, 2015, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artifact cat
Fledgling

Post by artifact cat »

Question : Is there a wooden bridge in the area that could burn?
This will be a dangerous fire tonight I believe.
Please email for picture and further information.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

artifact cat wrote:Question : Is there a wooden bridge in the area that could burn?
This will be a dangerous fire tonight I believe.

there is wooden bridges all across that river from rock creek up into the christian valley
stardriftinhorses

Post by stardriftinhorses »

There are horses that need help if anyone is in the area? Even to maybe let them out? I attached the help request from Facebook.
Attachments
image.jpg

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”