Rock Creek Wildfire

Fire-related topics
Braveheart1314

Re: Rock Creek Wildfire

Post by Braveheart1314 »

this sounds like a firey grave to me

As I said, it's maybe a stupid question from someone looking at another country's issue but thanks for your reply "voice of reason" Can you explain your statement?
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 13th, 2015, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote fixed.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

As I said, it's maybe a stupid question from someone looking at another country's issue but thanks for your reply "voice of reason" Can you explain your statement?

i dont know what kind of shelter you are thinking of but not much is going to save you if a fire passes over you.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Aug 13th, 2015, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote fixed.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Have been to this campground for the past 10 years and love it. Sad to see such an issue at it, plus Rock Creek and Westbridge. Didn't see anything in the news last night so this one seems like a big one that just snuck up from my point of view.

I certainly hope everyone gets out just fine.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

i hope they build it back up .it is my favorite spot to camp and it has a mining and kvr history.the river float is great.i even panned some flakes of gold out of the river near there.im just glad no one got hurt at the park.
scorpion1024
Fledgling

Post by scorpion1024 »

Thank you so much for sharing those photos. Wow.... I am just devastated. I cannot imagine how those people feel right now. My hope is that everybody worked together to help young, old and pets to escape. My heart goes out to those affected - including locals. I hope you are all able to find comfort in one another :(
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things
Braveheart1314

Post by Braveheart1314 »

voice of reason wrote:As I said, it's maybe a stupid question from someone looking at another country's issue but thanks for your reply "voice of reason" Can you explain your statement?

i dont know what kind of shelter you are thinking of but not much is going to save you if a fire passes over you.

I'm thinking of a shelter that could be built at a lot less cost than one that was designed to survive a nuclear blast my friend. A fire resistant shelter wouldn't have to be built to a depth or to a lead lined structure built to survive a nuclear attack. I'm sure there are filtering systems that would supply smoke free air available to breathe and fire survivant material to give the people a reasonable chance of survival. I see photos of heavy "really Heavy" lifting equipment out in Canada. I'm pretty certain that they could excavate a hole big enough to build a shelter or two in the parks. Apologies if I'm sounding like a "get in the shelter"Dorothy" from the Wizard of Oz but surely it can be looked at?
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Evacuees from Rock Creek to Westbridge are being directed to Willow Park Church in Kelowna on Highway 33, according to The Regional District of Kootenay Boundary.

Residents evacuated from north of Westbridge, up Christian Valley Road to Fiva Creek, are being directed up Christian Valley Road to Lumby.

these guys are in for a long drive
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

I'm thinking of a shelter that could be built at a lot less cost than one that was designed to survive a nuclear blast my friend. A fire resistant shelter wouldn't have to be built to a depth or to a lead lined structure built to survive a nuclear attack. I'm sure there are filtering systems that would supply smoke free air available to breathe and fire survivant material to give the people a reasonable chance of survival. I see photos of heavy "really Heavy" lifting equipment out in Canada. I'm pretty certain that they could excavate a hole big enough to build a shelter or two in the parks. Apologies if I'm sounding like a "get in the shelter"Dorothy" from the Wizard of Oz but surely it can be looked at?[/quote]

there is 340 provincial parks with campgrounds.that is not going to happen.i appreciate your idea though.there is no way they spend the money to do this.
Lazarus
Fledgling

Post by Lazarus »

http://bcwildfire.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/OneFire.asp?ID=569

West of Rock Creek (N60584)

Last updated: Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 7:07 PM

• See approximate location of this wildfire on a Mapquest map.
• View an interactive map of all active Wildfires of Note.

Discovered: Thursday, August 13, 2015

Size: 500.0 hectares (estimated)

• 0% contained
The BC Wildfire Service and local fire departments are responding to a rapidly growing wildfire near Rock Creek.

Both Highway 3 and 33 have been closed. Please check DriveBC for further details.

Interface: Interface Interface Fire

Evacuation Order is in effect.

Evacuation Alerts and Orders are being put in place by the Regional District of Kootenay Boundary. Find info here.

No further details available at this time.

Cause: Under Investigation

Resources
• 32 firefighters
• 6 helicopters
• 3 heavy equipment
• 2 airtankers
Firefighters, airtankers and helicopters are currently responding and additional resources and personnel are en route.

Map & Photos: There are no maps or photos available for this fire.
Lazarus
Fledgling

Post by Lazarus »

http://rdkb.com/RockCreekWildfire.aspx

Rock Creek Wildfire

A wildfire started at approximately 1:00PM north west of Rock Creek BC. The fire spread quickly and the immediate area, Hulme Creek Road was evacuated.

The fire spread quickly north forcing people in the Kettle River Provincial Park to evacuate on foot and the evacuees were tactically evacuated by incident command.

Residents on Christion Valley Road to Fiva Creek were evacuated. Evacuees are directed north, up the Christian Valley Road to Lumby.

Evacuees from Rock Creek to Westbridge are being directed Willow Park Church in Kelowna on Highway 33 .

Livestock is being received at the Rock Creek Fairgrounds.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Braveheart1314 wrote:I'm thinking of a shelter that could be built at a lot less cost than one that was designed to survive a nuclear blast my friend. A fire resistant shelter wouldn't have to be built to a depth or to a lead lined structure built to survive a nuclear attack. I'm sure there are filtering systems that would supply smoke free air available to breathe and fire survivant material to give the people a reasonable chance of survival. I see photos of heavy "really Heavy" lifting equipment out in Canada. I'm pretty certain that they could excavate a hole big enough to build a shelter or two in the parks. Apologies if I'm sounding like a "get in the shelter"Dorothy" from the Wizard of Oz but surely it can be looked at?

Smoke-free air?

You do realize that fire consumes air (oxygen) at an incredible rate, right? People who seek shelter in caves and rock cutouts succumb to suffocation long before the fire takes them.

Unless these fire shelters also have a safe way to provide oxygen, it's not happening. And I would imagine any sort of oxygen tank would go "kaboom!" quite quickly.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

stardriftinhorses wrote:There are horses that need help if anyone is in the area? Even to maybe let them out? I attached the help request from Facebook.

They won't let anyone through...tried to help and offered to go pick the horses up but they won't let anyone through from the Big White turn off...if anyone can get through let us know and we will hook up and come help...
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Lazarus
Fledgling

Post by Lazarus »

Barney Google wrote:They won't let anyone through...tried to help and offered to go pick the horses up but they won't let anyone through from the Big White turn off...if anyone can get through let us know and we will hook up and come help...

Since Christian Valley Road is also closed, from what I can see, unless you're up for a drive on bush roads the best route would be Highway 6 to just before the Needles ferry, take Edgewood Road south to Edgewood, then work your way in to Burrell Creek FSR which eventually ends up in Grand Forks. Then Highway 3 west.

Lazarus
Fledgling

Post by Lazarus »

They're calling it 750 hectares now!

http://bcwildfire.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/OneFire.asp?ID=569

West of Rock Creek (N60584)

Last updated: Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 7:54 PM

• See approximate location of this wildfire on a Mapquest map.
• View an interactive map of all active Wildfires of Note.

Discovered: Thursday, August 13, 2015

Size: 750.0 hectares (estimated)

• 0% contained
The BC Wildfire Service and local fire departments are responding to a rapidly growing wildfire near Rock Creek.

Both Highway 3 and 33 have been closed. Please check DriveBC for further details.

Interface: Interface Interface Fire

Evacuation Order is in effect.

Evacuation Alerts and Orders are being put in place by the Regional District of Kootenay Boundary. Find info here.

No further details available at this time.

Cause: Under Investigation

Resources
• 32 firefighters
• 6 helicopters
• 3 heavy equipment
• 2 airtankers
Firefighters, airtankers and helicopters are currently responding and additional resources and personnel are en route.

Map & Photos: There are no maps or photos available for this fire.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

Just heard on the scanner, the fire just crossed the highway 5km south of Harrison Creek Forest Service Rd.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”