Dawnland
Board Meister

Re: Rock Creek Wildfire

Post by Dawnland »

Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I don't really have much to add here but at least it's going to get rained on pretty good tomorrow. 10-15mm forecasted.

The smoke is showing up on the radar.
Attachments
Rock creek.png
Ironhorse1
Fledgling

Post by Ironhorse1 »

The twitter feed is reporting an evacuation order for Rock Creek.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

Also they posted this 25 minutes ago - Second fire at Anarchist evacuation order being prepared
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Sent kettle river campground people to grand forks now.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Ironhorse1
Fledgling

Post by Ironhorse1 »

Evacuation order extended north along Hwy 33 to Blythe-Rhone Rd.
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Post by jaz301 »

Kettle river is favourite place to camp. Going to be devastated if it gone. I am glad everyone got out ok. Could not imagine how it must of been to have to flee on foot because the only road access was blocked.
Life is too sho......
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

I was checking the weather record for today at Rocke Creek and it reached what we, wildfire technicians, refer to as "Cross Over". This is when the relative humidity drops below the air temperature. This is when we can expect the most volatile fire conditions.

As air temperature readings increase and relative humidity readings decrease during the day, burning conditions will become more intense. Certain atmospheric conditions can produce severe fire behavior reaching a point when the air temperature reading and the relative humidity reading will read the same (ie. Temp. 30° C , RH 30%), at this point a condition has been achieved called “CROSS OVER”. A fire burning under this condition will exhibit extreme behavior and should be treated with extreme caution. This condition should not be treated lightly and may continue for some time. It can become even worse if the relative humidity reading continues to drop.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
crazymum

Post by crazymum »

trying to get my friends housepets and livestock out of there. CDART says they were informed its not their jurisdiction, so unfortunately cannot help. EOC Grand Forks is who can help. Anyone know a fb page or anything for them? my friend and her sister both have properties that are evacuated. my friend is in calgary unfortunately at this time and her sister is stuck in Kelowna.
Caree

Post by Caree »

Have any of the "Powers that Be" checked that ATV's may not have been on area trails at this time of this fire? Seems to me the fires in the area are many spot fires in different locations as per other posts..and I know an ATV group were in a small town in the area for a "Jamboree".....seems to me in these dry conditions (drought we are in, I can't water my lawn) things making 'sparks' in the forest should not be there..eg. ATV's, logging trucks, people smoking, what have you. We do not know the cause of what seems to me to be the loss of one of my favourite campgrounds...but we MUST take care of our forests and our Earth. (P.S...the last time I camped at this B.C. Provincial Campsite (early spring of this year 2015) we had to go to first come first serve area..the newest area in the Pines..and I have some issues with the campground makeup, in that it seemed the terrain had to be au-natural..no debris picked up from fallen trees..so the forest floor was a tinder box of pine needles...branches still intact with tons of dead needles on the ground, and the logs they belonged to..sawn down to make this new camp area...still piled up 10- 15 feet or more higher in the woods all around our campspot in/on the sawn trunks...not good. B.C. Campgrounds' idea is nature will take over and all this debris is necessary for regrowth..but that is not true in this day and age of forests getting too old and dry with Forest Fire control...eventually a fire has a good chance of getting it all and all in its path....In all, I think this lovely place was a place looking for an accident to happen. If it were my own property I would certainly had spent time cleaning up the Forest Floor of all that Fire Fuel. )
Last edited by Caree on Aug 14th, 2015, 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I don't think there's such thing as a summer day in the Okanagan that isn't in crossover. It used to be a huge deal when I worked in fire in Ontario, it really was a pretty rare occurrence out there most years.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

crazymum wrote: CDART says they were informed its not their jurisdiction, so unfortunately cannot help.

*sad sigh* In case of emergencies like this, there shouldn't be jurisdictions. Frustrating isn't it?!
~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Caree

Post by Caree »

ATV's are known to sometimes cause Sparks in dry terrain.......
Caree

Post by Caree »

Many back roads and trails in the area.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”