Thunderstorm warning - watch out!

Fire-related topics
canuck500
Fledgling

Re: Thunderstorm warning - watch out!

Post by canuck500 »

Hope the wind doesn't have too much of a effect on the Anarchist Mountain fire.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

lightning has started a brush fire next to Mar Jok elementary
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

A couple of real loud boomers here in Vernon and a few drops of rain that lasted all of three minutes. The wind is beginning to pick up a little but nothing's really happening here storm-wise at the moment.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

gman313 wrote:lightning has started a brush fire next to Mar Jok elementary

What's your source? Westbank area had some close lightning followed by sirens from the firehall.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Quailize wrote:Just missed. The unpredictability always gets me.

It's always predictable. Light showers hit the hills and plateaus around the Okanagan since elevation is a major player in how much precipitation you get. That's why McCulloch Lake gets more precipitation in a year than Victoria while Kelowna gets half as much.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

gman313 wrote:lightning has started a brush fire next to Mar Jok elementary

Here's our story about that fire:
http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... kly-doused
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Special weather statement in effect for:

Central Okanagan - including Kelowna
North Okanagan - including Vernon
South Okanagan - including Penticton

Heavy rain developing late today - potential flash flooding.

An area of rain with embedded thunderstorms will develop over the Similkameen by this afternoon in response to an inflow of moist sub-tropical air. This rain area will move northeastward toward the Thompson, Shuswap and Columbias by the evening. General rainfall amounts will be 15 to 25 mm through tonight with locally higher amounts of 40 mm under thunderstorms.

Heavy rainfall rates of more than 15 mm per hour could occur. Due to the drought conditions over these regions, the soil has a reduced capacity to absorb water. Thus heavy rainfall increases the risk of flash flooding.

To mitigate the risk of flash flooding, make sure drain spouts and sewer covers are free of debris, so water can freely drain.

During heavy rains, avoid roadway underpasses, drainage ditches, low lying areas and water collection areas. They can unexpectedly flood or overflow. Do not try to drive across a flooded road. You cannot tell the condition of the road under the water.

The public is advised to monitor future forecasts and warnings as warnings may be required or extended.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The two driest areas of the province right now are not going to get much rain though. The Chilcotin area, specifically the one circled in black, has only had 9 mm since June, and isn't forecast to get much this weekend. The other is the Kootenay-Boundary area, which is also not supposed to get much either.

We are dry too (the entire Kamloops fire centre), but this will change after tomorrow.

dr aug 13 2015.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Still nothing headed our way. I'm not sure what time it'll start forming, maybe around 3?
Attachments
Radar.png
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Quailize wrote:Still nothing headed our way. I'm not sure what time it'll start forming, maybe around 3?

The thing is, the current rain will not hit us because of the direction of the rain (see arrow below). Thunderstorms need to pop up south of the Okanagan before we will get hit.

current radar.jpg
- Douglas Murray
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

We had a good spit of rain a couple of hours ago but not enough as grass is dry so now forced to mow the lawn or rent a couple of goats.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Got my lawn cut and fertilized this morning. Can you put me down for a good rain this afternoon or evening ??
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

how about that ,me too but just a cut ,now rain please
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Put me down for 2 goats
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”