Oliver fires

Fire-related topics
Atomoa
Guru

Re: Oliver fires

Post by Atomoa »

Bunnyhop wrote:
Yes. Testalinden Creek area.

The fire dept are up at Road 16 now. Good luck everyone.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
TonyO

Post by TonyO »

Just came back again......south fire much more aggressive, lots of candling. The south fire looks massive. North fire still moving. Winds were still blowing very good near the arena and flames and smoke from fire look to be blowing south. Hopefully winds die down this evening.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Some of the evacs in Oliver are being rescinded, one of my friends is returning home.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ironhorse1
Fledgling

Post by Ironhorse1 »

JBX wrote:Some of the evacs in Oliver are being rescinded, one of my friends is returning home.

I seem to doubt that.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Well, I didn't say it was official, all I got from Facebook was the trucks had left his street so they were going back, then they went offline. I just figured it was official, lol.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I have been listening to the live feed of the Oliver Fire Dept, those guys are hopping! Working hard, doing a great job out there!
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Sounds like they should have put some Diesel in the one truck...
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Yeah, it was windy...

Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

Amazing footage showing the power of those downslope winds. So unreal to see a fire going down a hill instead of up like it normally does.
SENNA

Post by SENNA »

Is there any info on highway closures this morning. It looks and sounds like the fire might be close to the highway but Drive BC doesn't list it. Heading from Kelowna to the U.S. This morning. Still a good idea? Alternate bypass route?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Hwy 3 closed between Spotted Lake and Keremeos.

Also: I'm a photography facebook site and I've seen horrific photos of how extensive the Oliver fire really became last night.
Because the groups are closed I can't share them. Just sitting here absolutely sickened though. Another friend in Rock Creek said many more homes were lost. Feels like the World is burning down between what reports I'm seeing between WA and BC.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
SENNA

Post by SENNA »

Sorry I meant HWY 97 through Oliver. I heard the fire is extremely close to the road.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

At this point the alternative is going down the Coquihalla. Or Checking to see if Hwy. 3 from Keremeos to the lower mainland is open.

Hwy 3? Closed. Hwy 97? Closed or very dangerous between Keremeos and Osoyoos. Even if you got to Osoyoos, what is happening in Chelan, WA is extreme right now. The Americans have their own fire disasters down there. Rock Creek has had huge losses, even if you got there, you'd probably have to know the back road by pass, the left hand turn near Prospector's Inn. My map book shows it but not the name of it. Cross the border at Grand Forks?

Best to head to the lower mainland at this point is all I can tell. Or can your trip be delayed?

As of yesterday 6 pm, all roads in and out of Chelan, including Hwy 97 were closed. Announcement as read from North Cascades Broadcasting facebook site. They are sending out this info for their highway depts.
Last edited by Queen K on Aug 15th, 2015, 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628588317401416/

Oliver Fire/Evac Facebook group. Closed group.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

SENNA wrote:Sorry I meant HWY 97 through Oliver. I heard the fire is extremely close to the road.

If the hwy is open at Olalka this morning, you can get through and enter the U.S. at the Chopaka crossing. It might be tight though, depending on how far west the Testalinden Fire has gone.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”