Oliver fires

Fire-related topics
JBX
Fledgling

Re: Oliver fires

Post by JBX »

Did you see the tweet about Rustico? It stopped 5 feet from the vineyards... Poor Bruce I bet he was sweating bullets. We used to hang out with him a lot, he has put a ton of work into making that winery very personal.

https://twitter.com/rusticowinery
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

zookeeper wrote:
You're well aware that most of the fire department is volunteer? Maybe you could pop down and lend a hand.

I actually didn't know that until you said that, looked into it and will be doing exactly that. I have a class 1a, oilfield driving experience along with rig/cpr ect ect.

I had no idea it was not a city funded operation like they are in Alberta, well at least where I lived.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

For truly awe inspiring photos of the Oliver fires, please go to both facebook photography sites:

Douglas Drouin Photography and Drew Desharnais Photography.

You will be floored by what they captured last night.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

Testalinden is now 1566 hectares.

Wilsons Mountain is now 317 hectares.

Showers and thunderstorms in the forecast for this afternoon. That is if the rain amounts to anything and it doesn't bring more lightning strikes.
CEB

Post by CEB »

butcher99 wrote:The problem in the Kelowna fire was not the smoke at the wineries it was chemicals from the fire fighting. Grapes were ok but the crops were lost.
If the fire was close they MAY have been in contact with fire retardant Purely speculation here. Do not read anything into that.

Yes, that makes sense. The fire came over the hill at 11pm last night so there was no retardant put down before it hit the Golden Mile wineries.
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

The latest from the RDOS EOC:
Testalinden Creek Fire Evacuation Order still in place. Wilsons Mountain Fire downgraded to Evacuation Alert.

The entire information release: http://www.rdosmaps.bc.ca/min_bylaws/Ne ... _Aug15.pdf
Star Light
Guru

Post by Star Light »

Queen K wrote:For truly awe inspiring photos of the Oliver fires, please go to both facebook photography sites:

Douglas Drouin Photography and Drew Desharnais Photography.

You will be floored by what they captured last night.

Checked these out Q.K........*Yikes* would be an understatement re: these photos!!!
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

JBX wrote:Well, I didn't say it was official, all I got from Facebook was the trucks had left his street so they were going back, then they went offline. I just figured it was official, lol.

The fire budget has nothing to do with the initial action on fires. Fire control threw threw every resource available at these too fires. The problem with these fires was the explosive conditions and high winds prevented many of the air operations and crew safety was a major factor. Fire budgets have always been low but never have I seen fire action curtailed because of it. More funds are added as conditions and action dictates. Everything is in place this year as in previous years, fire prevention, fire preparedness. air operations, initial attack crews, unit crews, fire wardens, outside support staff, and of course the full time staff in all districts and zones.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Can someone please tell me what the air quality (smokey skies) is like in the Penticton area? Thanks!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Whyme2 wrote:Can someone please tell me what the air quality (smokey skies) is like in the Penticton area? Thanks!

Clear blue skies this morning; no sign of any smoke in the area. If there is any, it is South in the Oliver/Osoyoos region.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Whyme2 wrote:
Can someone please tell me what the air quality (smokey skies) is like in the Penticton area? Thanks!

Clear blue skies this morning; no sign of any smoke in the area. If there is any, it is South in the Oliver/Osoyoos region.

Thanks very much. Good to hear.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You guys will believe this because the level of stupidity in our society never ceases to amaze.

A helicopter pilot just reported that someone is flying drones over the fire zone in Oliver. And you know what came next, all helicopter services dedicated to putting out the fires had to be temporarily suspended.

Who does that? Didn't the same thing happen for the Westside fire? Drones caused planes and helicopters to be pulled?

Link: Penticton's facebook site. Yes, a post from a pilot. Not the usual news service, please let's get over that official news services are the only sources. It's not true anymore in our social media world.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Star Light
Guru

Post by Star Light »

Queen K wrote:You guys will believe this because the level of stupidity in our society never ceases to amaze.

A helicopter pilot just reported that someone is flying drones over the fire zone in Oliver. And you know what came next, all helicopter services dedicated to putting out the fires had to be temporarily suspended.

Who does that? Didn't the same thing happen for the Westside fire? Drones caused planes and helicopters to be pulled?

Link: Penticton's facebook site. Yes, a post from a pilot. Not the usual news service, please let's get over that official news services are the only sources. It's not true anymore in our social media world.

Q.K.........stupid 101 is regrettably alive & well out there. Shame this has happened yet again!!!.
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

Queen K wrote:Link: Penticton's facebook site. Yes, a post from a pilot. Not the usual news service, please let's get over that official news services are the only sources. It's not true anymore in our social media world.

Not seeing anything posted on Penticton's Facebook page, but that's assuming you mean the City of Penticton's Facebook page.

One of the big differences between news services and social media is that on social media people can and will say anything, whether it's true or not, whereas news services are supposed to confirm such things first <-- although, quite often you'll see some news organizations say something was "reported" to them and they're now trying to confirm it.

A local example I've seen recently was a social media post where someone said a local body shop was on fire. Castanet sent a reporter there and the building was just fine, no fire at all.

People who are into social media like the raw reporting, whether it's legit or not, and that's great. I use social media all the time, but it's not my only source of information.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”