Drone interference

Fire-related topics
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Re: Drone interference

Post by Takin it easy ! »

Just how stupid can some morons be I guess I have my answer !
fentazelb

Post by fentazelb »

As a member of the Kelowna Ogogpogo Radio Controllers it saddens me that anyone has the chance to go to any box store and purchase a multirotor. It is so easy to purchase one and go out and fly completely uneducated. The only proper place to really fly is out at a sanctioned flying field where there are know rules. Oh and yes we are up and running fully in Lake Country, in fact this weekend we have our Heli Fun Fly all weekend long.

As for the comments about shooting them down, people need to keep in mind that shooting at any aircraft is a federal offence, no matter if its full scale or a model.

The new lipo batteries do not explode either, they are very safe now, not like they used to be. We still treat them with more than enough respect of what they used to do though.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

...further to the US freeway wildfire incident I just posted:

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovation/ ... es-n401021

...it's a big enough issue that they're offering a $75K reward leading to the arrest of those responsible...
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

fentazelb wrote:As a member of the Kelowna Ogogpogo Radio Controllers it saddens me that anyone has the chance to go to any box store and purchase a multirotor. It is so easy to purchase one and go out and fly completely uneducated. The only proper place to really fly is out at a sanctioned flying field where there are know rules. Oh and yes we are up and running fully in Lake Country, in fact this weekend we have our Heli Fun Fly all weekend long.

As for the comments about shooting them down, people need to keep in mind that shooting at any aircraft is a federal offence, no matter if its full scale or a model.

The new lipo batteries do not explode either, they are very safe now, not like they used to be. We still treat them with more than enough respect of what they used to do though.

...totally agree, and it's actions like that which are quickly going to result in regulations requiring licensing of these craft for recreational purposes, which ultimately will lead to that of all RC craft such as those you and your members partake in...stupidity that will become another cash grab of licensing fees and regulations, all because of the careless acts of a few that spoil it for the many responsible owners and operators...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

fentazelb wrote:As a member of the Kelowna Ogogpogo Radio Controllers it saddens me that anyone has the chance to go to any box store and purchase a multirotor. It is so easy to purchase one and go out and fly completely uneducated. The only proper place to really fly is out at a sanctioned flying field where there are know rules. Oh and yes we are up and running fully in Lake Country, in fact this weekend we have our Heli Fun Fly all weekend long.

Okay, my bad about shooting it down (in my defence I did say I was not encouraging it).
I'm am getting sick & tired of idiots getting in the way of those working to fight forest fires. Be it on the water, on the roads into forest fire (I'm not talking about the actual residents of the area, just kooky loo's) or now by air via drone or any other aircraft not part of the fire fighters/ing.
All of them need there wallets emptied by a very large fine for pure stupidity.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Also for as many fires as we have had and the numerous warnings to boats to stay clear of helicopter bucket pick up areas they continue to see how close they can get to take pictures and video.

As well soon as there is a fire every looky loo has to head there by car hindering first responders trying to get to the area.

Reporters seem to think it's "OK" for them to rush into a wildfire and start taking pictures and poking a mic in everyone's face. There are strict protocols for news media and briefings.

Just stay to hell away and let us do our job.

Rant off.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Drones Disrupting Aircraft

Post by Dizzy1 »

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/145230/ ... re-efforts

Seriously, how brain dead do some people have to be? There are low flying aircraft and people thinks it's OK to fly their drones around to get some pictures.

Seems to me that some drone owners are just as unmanned above their neckline as are the drones themselves.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Drones Disrupting Aircraft

Post by Dizzy1 »

Thank you to the mods for moving my post into the correct thread :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Drone Interrupts Aerial Fire Suppression at Oliver

Post by Treblehook »

It is truly amazing that there are enough people who own and operate drones [in the Okanagan] andat the same time have s#*t for brains. Where do these imbeciles come from? My bet is if they were caught by people who's properties are being threatened by the fire, or who continue to be evacuated from their homes, they would have to undergo medical procedures to have these drones removed from their nether regions. Unbelievable.
JBX
Fledgling

Re: Drone Interrupts Arial Fire Suppression at Oliver

Post by JBX »

So how are they not catching these people. It looks like the average flight time is around 25 min at a cost of 1000$. The speeds seem to be in the 9 to 15 mph range. Those are the drones with first person cameras ect and large enough that they would cause impact damage. Not tiny like a sparrow.

The point is these people launching them can't relaly be that far away. I suppose there could be a few out there with mega expensive drones with hardcore range but I don't think the majority have those.

Just my thoughts on it.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Okay, last time I posted about this crap happening. I made off the cuff comment about shooting them down (with a gun).
How about using them as target practice for ones sling shot. As a kid I had huge collection of 3/8" size ball bearings.

Clearly they are not catching those responsible for this so make it cost them by having to new ones.

Added later: or if the local detachment needs some target practice, I suggest go for it.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

JBX wrote:So how are they not catching these people.

Perhaps they're busy with more important issues at hand.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Ensuring the area is safe is the rcmps job. This is a safety issue.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Best to just leave them alone.
Between peeping on nude and underage sun tanners and now interrupting firefighting operations it won't take long before legislation will have to be introduced to limit the use of drones. Just like way to many things in life a few irresponsible idiots will quickly spoil something for all the responsible users.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

All it's going to take is that one world class ding dong to think it's funny to buzz a helicopter to get their shot and it'll all be over.

When I worked in the industry we had to ensure the helipad was free of everything that could potentially thwack a blade or get sucked up by the rotor (as in a grocery bag could do serious damage).

I recall one time a rookie was lazy. Instead of setting each and every item down on the ground per policy, he tossed his boots out the door and they got tangled in the blades. Big, big damage. Thank god they were on the ground basically.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”