Drone interference

Fire-related topics
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Drone interference

Post by Queen K »

Here's the problem with hating on drones: in many cases we need them and a skilled drone flyer.

Scenerios for needing them are not hard to find or imagine:

Checking down steep embankments for lost people, vehicles or animals.
Search and rescue in areas deemed too dangerous for people to go into, including mud and debris flow areas, flooded areas and anywhere people would be too slow to get into without drones.

Canyons, coulees and mountain ridges where people going over terrain would be too slow for effective rescue.

Looking over wide bodies of water for boats/paddle boards and any other flotation device where a person is reported missing.

Disaster areas, same scenerios.

The problem isn't the whether drones are effective or useful, it's the use of drones by sociopaths and psychopaths for their own unsavory purposes. Looking for stuff to steal later? Spying in homes? Stalking? Hindering search and rescues with helicopters? Hindering anything related to the use of planes and helicopters, such as forest fire fighting.

Unfortunately, legislation needs to catch up because the stupid factor is in full swing, even from people who can afford drones.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Yup, I agree, that's why I Want these people arrested so badly, we need a landmark case that can be used to set policy, we also need to revisit property and privacy laws, they need to include the airspace around you house now as your property and right to privacy.

flying your drone around your area and spying on people through windows is no different then hiding in the bushes. There probably has to be limits on how low then can fly around the city, or even if they can, we don't need people dive bombing traffic.

Its a complex issue that may end up in just a total ban with the way our stupid black and white lowest common denominator laws work sometimes.

I didn't realize they had advanced this much, I stick with the more hard core rc stuff, I am looking forward to taking some nice videos and pictures of my property, lake around it and like I said my buddies vineyard, really cool for that.

This doesn't help either

New and Notable

Coming this fall for $129, the Parrot MiniDrone Airborne Night quadcopter will be your light in the darkness, literally. This 1.2-pound craft can reach 11 mph for about 9 minutes. It features two LED lights that can be adjusted to various levels of intensity, or set to flashing patterns. The police-themed version, named Mac Lane, could be particularly fun in freaking out your neighbors at night. A three-axis accelerometer, three-axis gyroscope and ultrasound senor all help keep the drone stable in the air. Plus, a miniature camera on the underbelly makes aerial selfies a reality.

I've been stumbling on a lot of that crap as I look up drones today, or pictures of a drone spying into somebodies window...
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

spying with drones is much more anonymous than hiding in the bushes.

Do drones have a wifi signal that is like a unique fingerprint on a pane of glass? A way to id that a drone belonging to Mr. Creepo was used, even though Creepo might have a perfectly good alibi and claim his drone was used by someone else?

Not unlike a computer?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

They're getting cheaper, smaller, and longer-lasting (flight time) with longer range and lifting capacity. You'll soon be able to control them from km's away on your desktop computer. They'll become indispensable tools for emergency situations, Amazon, and idiots alike. haha
Your bias suits you.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

So if a drone is destroyed or "drone-napped" and the owner is sitting at their desk top, then doing so can be done anonymously.

Mr. Desk-top Creepo spying on your kids, grow op, or cattle to rustle would not know who did it.

"Drone Wars" coming soon.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Is it possible to Drone-nap and re-program it to be used for one's own purposes?

Or just drone-napped and trashed?
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

haha IDK, but sounds plausible! Altho I doubt one can destroy a drone anonymously unless they are lucky; they have cameras, eh?

yeah, drone wars are coming, heh
Your bias suits you.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm sure a camera could catch a speeding bullet, bomb or net.

The user of said objects don't have to be seen or even known. And so the camera sends an image to someone of someone shooting one done, what's the guy at the desk top going to say?

"Darren? Is that you?"

Or have that special facial imaging software so favoured by ICBC and the RMCP?
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Just wanted to post a different type of drone; people talk about shooting them down and things like that. While that's always possible, I find it hard to believe that enough people would be firing off guns into the sky within city limits, at hordes of drones. Especially when they look like birds:

That's from 2011. I don't think civilians can buy them yet, but things like that will become commonplace, eventually.

This one is simply a helicopter, but extremely small; only used by military thus far, I think:

The really fun part is when you can 3D print most of a drone at home, leaving one to simply buy a motor and control unit - can't really prevent ownership of them at all, at that point.

Drone wars are coming! (I smell a TV reality show there somewhere)
Your bias suits you.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Six people, all tasked to use drones for different purposes in various applications. People are eliminated under various criteria til it's down to two people. Each team has to be willing to be in disaster zones to assist where needed, in all weather conditions.

First person to find a hidden object in a remote location using their drone skills, wins.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Needed 1 Eagle who absolutely hates drones, will provide tasty fresh fish for your services. lol

Added: drones you better have camera's looking in every possible direction.

Oh yes for night work an Owl no fish but tasty rodents
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yes, drones that look like hummingbirds may fall prey to raptors in their neighbourhood.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Queen K wrote:Yes, drones that look like hummingbirds may fall prey to raptors in their neighbourhood.

Bigger ones as well:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

JBX wrote:I didn't say its not possible,
no you said they cant. I'm suggesting its more than plausible.
Drones, like the internet, home computers, cars, and micro breweries are technologies that if not properly regulated by its user population will end up being regulated by outside bodies. With fools out there causing issues for Emergency Crews of any sort... I'd wager we will see tighter regulations come in before we see Drones delivering products to your home from Amazon.ca.

things like these will make it happen pretty soon im guessing

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Heli ... =video&c=y
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dro ... story.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKV6g47hgRs

im suspecting first time a house turns to ash because air tankers are grounded due to silly folks playing with drones we will see a huge increase in regulations and possible licencing and insuring drones.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Often, regulations are dictated by those with the most money. And many regulations are easily ignored and go unpunished/undiscovered. In the future, drones will be just that - another largely unenforceable nuisance.
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Fire Watch 2015”